Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Tomek

Additiinal filters

Featured Posts

Hi All! 

 

I'm due engine service and was wondering if I should service two additional filters attached to my tank. I know they are fuel filters but my question is... do I change them the same way I would change my engine filters? 

 

Thanks!

20190804_121413.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they supply two different pieces of equipment. One is acting as a water separator for the engine and the other may   be acting as a water separator and filter for something like a diesel stove or boiler.

 

The elements are very cheap from motor factors (ask for a CAV 296 type) so it is not worth not changing them and inspecting what they have caught. However unlike spin on fuel filters you will not be able to fill these with fuel and care needs taking to ensure you get all 3 or 4 O rings in the correct place. If the tank is full of fuel I hope you can bleed them by gravity from the 10mm hexagon on top of the small turret on each filter head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do change these filters and you have trouble bleeding them try using a vacuum type pumps for sucking the oil out of your gear box, cant think of the name of them, on the 10mm hexagon on top of the small turret on each filter head. Hope that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The corrugated cardboard looks sturdy enough to last til the next service ?

What’s the yellow bit strapped down? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tomek said:

Hi All! 

 

I'm due engine service and was wondering if I should service two additional filters attached to my tank. I know they are fuel filters but my question is... do I change them the same way I would change my engine filters? 

 

If your engine fuel filter is a spin on type then the answer is no. The difference is that with the water trap separators in your picture you have to drain the metal bowl by undoing the small drain plug underneath first. (I put an old washing up bowl underneath.) Then undo the screw in the centre at the top of the unit to remove the bowl. Then you can take the element off. 

 

They'll be at least 3 different o- rings to replace so make a mental note of where they are as you remove them. There's a large one stuck in a recess underneath the top metal part but some people don't bother to change it.

 

And as lugsy said, turn the fuel tank isolator off before you start.

Edited by blackrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Goliath said:

The corrugated cardboard looks sturdy enough to last til the next service ?

What’s the yellow bit strapped down? 

Hehe it was there when I got the boat. And as it is my first boat I've no idea why it could be there. Dont want to risk sinking until I know what I'm actually doing so not removing it yet ?

 

and the yellow thing is manual bilge pump . Old school!

Edited by Tomek
  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Tomek said:

Hehe it was there when I got the boat. And as it is my first boat I've no idea why it could be there. Dont want to risk sinking until I know what I'm actually doing so not removing it yet ?

 

and the yellow thing is manual bilge pump . Old school!

Might be there to detect/reveal any leaks from the filters or pipes? ?

There may have been an issue before, or perhaps the filters were changed and just to check they’d sealed properly card was put under? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks stout enough to support an ice cream carton so you do not have to faff about draining the bowl so can just unscrew the through bolts and drop the lot into the tub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone got an equivalent part number for the bit of cardboard and know where else one can be bought? I'm fed up with spending inflated chandlery prices on them for my boat. Or is it special marine cardboard?  Will I damage my boat if I don't use the right sort?

 

Jen ?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Anyone got an equivalent part number for the bit of cardboard and know where else one can be bought? I'm fed up with spending inflated chandlery prices on them for my boat. Or is it special marine cardboard?  Will I damage my boat if I don't use the right sort?

 

Jen ?

You can get a 4 x 8 sheet of  Marine Cardboard from Jewsons.  Or as they call it, "Marine Plywood".

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

You can get a 4 x 8 sheet of  Marine Cardboard from Jewsons.  Or as they call it, "Marine Plywood".

I believe the manufacturers pronounce it: "maline prywoo". ;)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Goliath said:

 

Might be there to detect/reveal any leaks from the filters or pipes? ?

There may have been an issue before, or perhaps the filters were changed and just to check they’d sealed properly card was put under? 

 

 

I'll own up to never having got a 100% seal on this type of filter and the cardboard is a familiar sight.  They are a pain in the neck with all those stupid o rings I'm just glad my present boat doesn't have one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I'll own up to never having got a 100% seal on this type of filter and the cardboard is a familiar sight.  They are a pain in the neck with all those stupid o rings I'm just glad my present boat doesn't have one.

I don't understand why you should have problems with the O rings on these filters. They have been a standard fitment for over 80 years on all sorts of diesel engines, in LandRovers, Taxis, Boats and generators. Inexpensive and cost effective, they continue to be popular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have no difficulty with the o-rings on these filters, though I admit I don't change the top one every time. I did used to have problems with the drain plug not re-sealing with it's original soft metal washer but bought a couple of hard rubber washers from Midland Chandlers and now it seals perfectly. Incidentally you CAN pre-fill the bottom bowl with diesel which makes it a lot easier to bleed the air out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I'll own up to never having got a 100% seal on this type of filter and the cardboard is a familiar sight.  They are a pain in the neck with all those stupid o rings I'm just glad my present boat doesn't have one.

All my filters both pre/water and on engine are this type so diesel reaching the on engine filter is effectively already cleaned by the first on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I don't understand why you should have problems with the O rings on these filters. They have been a standard fitment for over 80 years on all sorts of diesel engines, in LandRovers, Taxis, Boats and generators. Inexpensive and cost effective, they continue to be popular.

Don't get me started .....   Tattoos, beards, Love Island, Facebook, Football, Donald Trump, Strictly Come Dancing.......all these things are apparently popular these days but I reserve my right and my opinion to dislike them all.  

 

(That is not an exhaustive list, by the way.)

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Don't get me started .....   Tattoos, beards, Love Island, Facebook, Football, Donald Trump, Strictly Come Dancing.......all these things are apparently popular these days but I reserve my right and my opinion to dislike them all.  

 

(That is not an exhaustive list, by the way.)

Oi! Leave beards alone! I have become very attached to mine these past 40 years. I agree with a lot of your list though, especially strictly, Trump  and bloody football. If they played the world cup in my back yard, I wouldn't bother opening the curtains :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Oi! Leave beards alone! I have become very attached to mine these past 40 years. I agree with a lot of your list though, especially strictly, Trump  and bloody football. If they played the world cup in my back yard, I wouldn't bother opening the curtains :)

OK let me qualify that then.

 

What I really mean is so many blokes these days seem to think they are George Clooney when to carry off a beard you really need to have the right facial bone structure plus you actually need some HAIR.  So many guys today remind me of my miserable attempts to look older when I was 18.  The one's I really hate are those Ian Botham chin strap types but the vast majority just look scruffy, to me.  

 

Given the number of Harold Shipman/Bill Oddie lookalikes on the cut these days I realise I have probably upset half the membership of the forum with this but I bet most of the women are on my side...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

OK let me qualify that then.

 

What I really mean is so many blokes these days seem to think they are George Clooney when to carry off a beard you really need to have the right facial bone structure plus you actually need some HAIR.  So many guys today remind me of my miserable attempts to look older when I was 18.  The one's I really hate are those Ian Botham chin strap types but the vast majority just look scruffy, to me.  

 

Given the number of Harold Shipman/Bill Oddie lookalikes on the cut these days I realise I have probably upset half the membership of the forum with this but I bet most of the women are on my side...  

 

The question is not "Why do I choose to have a beard?", it is "Why do you choose to shave?".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Given the number of Harold Shipman/Bill Oddie lookalikes on the cut these days I realise I have probably upset half the membership of the forum with this but I bet most of the women are on my side...  

 

Only half? ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
16 minutes ago, David Mack said:

 

The question is not "Why do I choose to have a beard?", it is "Why do you choose to shave?".

Last year I shaved my beard off for about a week. Nobody would talk to me in the pub! I grew it back.
Must say I was gobsmacked when I discovered how much shaving gear costs today. That was enough for me :)

31 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

OK let me qualify that then.

 

What I really mean is so many blokes these days seem to think they are George Clooney when to carry off a beard you really need to have the right facial bone structure plus you actually need some HAIR.  So many guys today remind me of my miserable attempts to look older when I was 18.  The one's I really hate are those Ian Botham chin strap types but the vast majority just look scruffy, to me.  

 

Given the number of Harold Shipman/Bill Oddie lookalikes on the cut these days I realise I have probably upset half the membership of the forum with this but I bet most of the women are on my side...  

Where I grew up, half the women had beards....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember that the band 'Hatfield and the North' did a number called 'Shaving is Boring'.

 

I tend to agree.

 

(And I have to admit I to more than a passing resemblance to Harold Shipman on my driving licence)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.