Cassette

LadyG

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, hider said:

Disgusting.

Sorry, its just not an acceptable way of living in the 21st century.

That suggests you have no experience of decent composting toilets, land or boat based.
And if they are so disgusting or unacceptable then I wonder why the likes of the National Trust, Natural Resources Wales, various community groups, and others use them?
I suggest this companies website might be a worthwhile read for you:
https://natsol.co.uk/

1 minute ago, hider said:

But still disgusting no matter how you claim it is "green" ,  "clean",   or sensible. If you want to live with your own faeces, you are most welcome. Just don't waste your time trying to justify it to me, its always going to be disgusting.

"None so blind as those that will not see!"

Just now, Graham Davis said:

That suggests you have no experience of decent composting toilets, land or boat based.
And if they are so disgusting or unacceptable then I wonder why the likes of the National Trust, Natural Resources Wales, various community groups, and others use them?

I suggest you read what you want, its my opinion, I am entitled to air it, if you don't like it, don't read it, suck it up.

4 minutes ago, hider said:

But still disgusting no matter how you claim it is "green" ,  "clean",   or sensible. If you want to live with your own faeces, you are most welcome. Just don't waste your time trying to justify it to me, its always going to be disgusting.

However I deal with my waste as I live on a boat I have to deal with it.

As it happens I don't have a compost loo because for me it would take too much commitment and I don't have anywhere to properly use the end product 

As a cassette user I still have to pour a fairly unpleasant blue slurry down a elsan once a week

17 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

"None so blind as those that will not see!"

Graham I was just going to ignore him, you are completely right in some places a composting toilet is the only way to go, and if managed right like I do mine, its without smell and the resulting compost is useful for the garden. I put 5-6 buckets of poo into the bin a year along with all the veg matter grass, leaves anything that will rot down in fact, and it does just that rot down, trouble is some people have blinkers on

By the way great link good reading

Edited by peterboat
  • Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Graham I was just going to ignore him, you are completely right in some places a composting toilet is the only way to go, and if managed right like I do mine, its without smell and the resulting compost is useful for the garden. I put 5-6 buckets of poo into the bin a year along with all the veg matter grass, leaves anything that will rot down in fact, and it does just that rot down, trouble is some people have blinkers on

By the way great link good reading

I think the main reason people don't rate composting toilets on boats is that few have the advantage you have of a place to compost the material.   Fewer still probably have a good knowledge of composting and mixing "browns" and "greens".

For the benefit of those who don't have a lot of gardening knowledge i am not referring to the composting toilet when I say browns.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Nonsense,  a properly set up composting toilet with a use for the end product is a perfectly sensible way of dealing with human waste.

It's where the process hasn't been thought through where the problems occur 

According to the interweb it is considered potentially unhealthy  to use composted human waste to grow vegetables for human consumption.

14 minutes ago, MartynG said:

According to the interweb it is considered potentially unhealthy  to use composted human waste to grow vegetables for human consumption.

Properly treated, in this case composted and used appropriately it should be fine but there are issues, which is another reason why I feel uncomfortable with the rise in boat composting bogs.

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

It is untested, and there is no way anyone would buy organic veg if it was promoted as using composted human waste, tested or otherwise. 

btw there is evidence that the use of human waste in pig production in China has been instrumental in epidemics.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I use to pump my soakaway out over the garden, I use to have wonderful greens

Dad worked at a slaughterhouse, it closed down a long time ago, and posh houses were built on the site, I know where the err fluid waste used to go ;)

Bet they have fantastic roses

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I use to pump my soakaway out over the garden, I use to have wonderful greens

When I lived in Scotland Duffy used to pump out our septic tank, mix it with slurry and spread it on the fields, its been happening for years so maybe people have been eating organic veg fertilized with human poo

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

When I lived in Scotland Duffy used to pump out our septic tank, mix it with slurry and spread it on the fields, its been happening for years so maybe people have been eating organic veg fertilized with human poo

I think you may find thats not legal anymore :rolleyes: even though it made sense.

15 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Nonsense,  a properly set up composting toilet with a use for the end product is a perfectly sensible way of dealing with human waste.

It's where the process hasn't been thought through where the problems occur 

Certainly seems better than mixing it with gallons of clean drinking water and then pouring it away to be treated ...

... especially if it just gets thrown into rivers!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48755329

• Greenie 1

when cruising along various canals there always seem to be sewage treatment plants in very close proximity to the cut, surely it can't be that hard to have elsan's built near or at them and cut out the middleman so to speak?

always amazes me that so many have linear moorings near them as well, guess you get used to the whiff after a while. although I did work near a pig farm once, and if the wind was in the wrong direction it would literally make you gag :(

49 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

when cruising along various canals there always seem to be sewage treatment plants in very close proximity to the cut, surely it can't be that hard to have elsan's built near or at them and cut out the middleman so to speak?

always amazes me that so many have linear moorings near them as well, guess you get used to the whiff after a while. although I did work near a pig farm once, and if the wind was in the wrong direction it would literally make you gag :(

I know what you mean at Eastwood there is a big sewage plant which stinks on some days, yet my compost bin doesnt smell at all amazing

33 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I know what you mean at Eastwood there is a big sewage plant which stinks on some days, yet my compost bin doesnt smell at all amazing

I bet it would if your compost bog was the size of Eastwood !  :giggles:

• Haha 1

Sewage treatment works do not compost effluent, they use a different process Waste water is treated biologically to aerate the waste. The end result is liquids which include "potable" water and other residues which are non potable

You will see very large tankers called things like "enviroservices" shipping liquid effluent to farms where it is put on farmland, sometimes with power injection machinery..

Brown bins are used to collect solid organic food wastes, they are composted, which involves heat generation, and mechanical agitation of the relatively dry waste. The end result is dry crumb.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

that s not a soakaway, it's a  sump

Most septic tanks discharge into a soakaway. Not much point overflowing into a sump. The aim is not containment, but to allow the discharge to be aereated before slow release into the environment, by which time it's pretty harmless.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Most septic tanks discharge into a soakaway. Not much point overflowing into a sump. The aim is not containment, but to allow the discharge to be aereated before slow release into the environment, by which time it's pretty harmless.

Septic tanks are supposed to be emptied regularly. , the overflow is for occasional unintentional spillage..

18 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Septic tanks are supposed to be emptied regularly. , the overflow is for occasional unintentional spillage..

Septic tank, not cesspit. A properly designed, and working, septic tank system can go many years without emptying.

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It was England not Scotland and we call the soakaways 

I know what a soakaway is, and it is not designed to be "pumped out", just the opposite...................

I used to inspect soakaways .... in England..........

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

Sewage treatment works do not compost effluent, they use a different process Waste water is treated biologically to aerate the waste. The end result is liquids which include "potable" water and other residues which are non potable

You will see very large tankers called things like "enviroservices" shipping liquid effluent to farms where it is put on farmland, sometimes with power injection machinery..

Brown bins are used to collect solid organic food wastes, they are composted, which involves heat generation, and mechanical agitation of the relatively dry waste. The end result is dry crumb.

You’re missing out an important process. 

Sewage works clean the waste water through a variety of means, with the final polished water being returned to the water course. The solids ‘sludge’ left behind is also treated to produce fertiliser (not compost). Whilst some farms will use the liquid sludge as-is that’s not very common in England. Far more common is the use of dry cake. The sludge is dried (usually by means of a centrifuge), resulting in biosolids cake. This cake is sold by the tonne as it is a dry product for spreading on fields. It also contains some organic matter which will improve the soil texture, just like compost.  

There are very strict guidelines on how

much biosolid fertiliser can be used on a field, with soil samples being taken both before and after treatment. Similarly strict rules dictate what crops can be grown on these fields and when, or when they can be grazed. 

Edited by WotEver
Added a bit

46 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm not sure that that is correct - we had to have a licence from the Environment Agency to allow a daily discharge of up to 5 cubic metres.

Once the tank is full, the solids sink to the bottom and with the addition of a 'dead pheasant' gently bubble away, the liquid flows over the 'barrier' and into the discharge chamber where it either runs into a reed-bed or a ditch / dyke.

Ours goes directly into a dyke and, according to the tank manufacturer the water is 'potable'.