Boat hierarchy

Fly Navy

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Biz will know :)

Yeah he probably still uses em on his latest car ? I did have a 1928 standard 12 with rod brakes and trunnions, that were interesting to drive!! It was the older model just before the flying Standard came out.

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

Allegros don't have king pins

Minors have bottom trunnions that fail

Thats what I thought ?

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Cheers. :)

Same failure with Allegros then?

No.

Because the Allegro is FWD, it doesn't have a king pin (the Minor does), it has two ball joints. So it would be a ball joint failure

Richard

19 minutes ago, RLWP said:

No.

Because the Allegro is FWD, it doesn't have a king pin (the Minor does), it has two ball joints. So it would be a ball joint failure

Richard

So with Minors (don’t know much about Allegros other than they were ugly) the trunnions snapped due to lack of greasing the king pin?

Just now, WotEver said:

So with Minors (don’t know much about Allegros other than they were ugly) the trunnions snapped due to lack of greasing the king pin?

Huh? That's like saying the roof fell off because of the fog light bulb...

mm_25_02_01.jpg

King pin and stub axle are part 35. Bottom trunnion is 99. I'm not that familiar with the Minor, I suspect the failure might be the ends of the arms 65 and 66 through corrosion

Anyone?

Richard

24 and 30 screwed onto each end of the stub axle strut. If not kept greased reularly rain water rusted away the threads and they could pull out. seals weren;t very good in those days. Same design torsion bar front suspension as the E type Jaguar.

The Allegro had more modern spring loaded screw on shim fitted swivel ball joints secured with tab washers. Also torsion bar front suspension.

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

Which all falls apart when faced with a Big Woolwich:

233eb861f6fc478a7afc7fce39de71e9--cherts

I'm not arguing with one of those

I could argue about your narrow boat identification skills, though!

I thought that the Minor problem was actually the end of the torsion bar ripping away from the bodywork? (It attached at a point where corrosion was rife).

Or was there more than one suspension failure typical with them?

20 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I thought that the Minor problem was actually the end of the torsion bar ripping away from the bodywork? (It attached at a point where corrosion was rife).

Or was there more than one suspension failure typical with them?

I think you mean the strut 105 which could come adrift if the bolt 107 wore through if the nut came loose, but that was very rare.   The torsion bar is 76- the spring.

Edited by bizzard