Boat hierarchy

Fly Navy

Featured Posts

We purchased our boat as it had a trad stern and a raised dinette that you can sit at and see out the window. That was the full list of our requirements met.

It was the first one we looked at but we then spent several weeks driving all over the country looking at other boats in case there was something "better".

Having owned it for nearly 6 years it is still good for us although we could do with a larger wardrobe.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

We purchased our boat as it had a trad stern and a raised dinette that you can sit at and see out the window. That was the full list of our requirements met.

It was the first one we looked at but we then spent several weeks driving all over the country looking at other boats in case there was something "better".

Having owned it for nearly 6 years it is still good for us although we could do with a larger wardrobe.

Why don't you buy smaller clothes instead?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mark99 said:

Let's wheel out the spreadsheet.  ;)

Yep. It's Ivan&alice all over again. And guess what happened there? Still, he was a terribly nice chap. The OP would do well to research that episode. You won't succeed trying to buy a boat like this.

JP

33 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Yep. It's Ivan&alice all over again. And guess what happened there? Still, he was a terribly nice chap. The OP would do well to research that episode. You won't succeed trying to buy a boat like this.

JP

Erm, didn't @ivan&alice end up buying the boat their spreadsheet described in nearly every detail?

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Erm, didn't @ivan&alice end up buying the boat their spreadsheet described in nearly every detail?

Did they? Must admit I thought they bought a boat that was different from their criteria in one or two key ways. Didn't they also acknowledge the boat kind of 'found them' in the end?

Edited by Captain Pegg

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Another interesting tid-bit one doesn't glean from photos i.e. the reason for raised seating. Something to be said from being there and sitting in a boat, positions of windows, hatches etc.

As for a wardrobe, in something where space is a premium, I surprised they are so common. I'm happy to fold my clothes, though I'm yet to find a boat with hanging space for cycles, which I'm more reluctant to fold.

8 minutes ago, Psychalist said:

I'm yet to find a boat with hanging space for cycles, which I'm more reluctant to fold.

I have recently been working on a boat with two folding bikes hanging in the engine room

Richard

We looked at plenty of boats - went to see one that we had hired and really liked then It was built by a top end but relatively little known fabricator. Found it was overpriced needed 5k spending on it so we walked away. We went back to have a second look at a boat we had viewed some months previously and decided then it was not for us - decided at the second viewing that with modifications that it would work for us. Did a deal with the owner and bought it. That was 6 1/2 years ago - we are still tinkering with it and probably will as long as we own it. However we are happy with it - we enjoy using it as a holiday boat. It is by the way an ex-hire/corporate Colecraft fitted out by Rugby Boat Builders - it is an honest boat with no pretensions of grandeur!!

My advice is view loads of boats but keep an open mind over your requirements.

Edited by Richard T

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I don't know about that, Richard. I like to see a shiny purple boat. They always make me smile.

JP

Then you would partially smile at ours, which is partially purple and partially shiny.

(I am being only partially serious).

My boat was made by a builder I'd never heard of (Hesford) I chose it because of it's looks. Good freeboard, plenty of tumblehome, and a small cruiser stern. I found it a most attractive boat. Having lived with it for nearly two years,there are thing I don't like,poor engine access,bathroom takes up too much space,and quite a few other niggles.

With the best will in the world,you can't really know a boat untill you have lived with it for a while.  It is quite likely that your first boat won't be your last. Owning a boat for a year or so will show you what you really want. You may be lucky and drop on a boat that is perfect for you,and it may well appear so initially,but when you look at boats for sale try to look ahead in case you want to sell in a year or so.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I my current favourite is a Dave Clarke hull fitted out by Bromsgrove Boats.

I bet you're glad all over!

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

He only did that one & 4 others didn't he ?

Exactly!

39 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Which all falls apart when faced with a Big Woolwich:

233eb861f6fc478a7afc7fce39de71e9--cherts

I'm not arguing with one of those

Except that is a Big Northwich!

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1