Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Theo

Keeping a non-shiny look

Featured Posts

Just booked the boat in for a paint job.  We are keen to keep the non shiny look.  Advice welcomed.

 

Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Theo said:

Just booked the boat in for a paint job.  We are keen to keep the non shiny look.  Advice welcomed.

 

Nick

My boat is painted with the usual shiney narrowboat paint. However rather than damage the surface and keeping the shine we simply wash it very occasionaly and never polish it. Paint stays on but not overly shiney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just keep well to the outside for a couple of days after leaving the dock.  The overhanging vegetation will soon sort the shine out.

N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BEngo said:

Just keep well to the outside for a couple of days after leaving the dock.  The overhanging vegetation will soon sort the shine out.

N

😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bldy staff, wot do  they know?

I buy something: day1 wash it, polish it and leave it, no problem.

I can't be the only one?

Edited by LadyG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My boat is painted with the usual shiney narrowboat paint. However rather than damage the surface and keeping the shine we simply wash it very occasionaly and never polish it. Paint stays on but not overly shiney.

Far too much work: when it is raining, get a watering can, fill it with Fairy Liquid [Squeezy is better], send hubby out to wash it.

Repeat annually,

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Theo said:

Just booked the boat in for a paint job.  We are keen to keep the non shiny look.  Advice welcomed.

 

Nick

 

Cancel the booking? 😂

 

Seriously though, can't you add a matting agent to the gloss? That way you should be able to achieve anything from almost gloss to completely Matt depending on the amount of matting agent used.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SWMBO says that I have not been sufficiently explicit.

 

I imagine that immediately after painting it will be dead shiny.  I suppose that it will gradually dull down and after a bit you won't be able to see your face in it?

 

N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted the non-shiny look, so after experimenting, used craftmaster undercoat for the finished coat. Was exactly what I was looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

I wanted the non-shiny look, so after experimenting, used craftmaster undercoat for the finished coat. Was exactly what I was looking for.

How is it lasting?  Is the undercoat reasonably weatherproof?

 

I suppose that what is required is a finish that you can't see your face in.

 

N

Edited by Theo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

I wanted the non-shiny look, so after experimenting, used craftmaster undercoat for the finished coat. Was exactly what I was looking for.

I noticed. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bizzard said:

I noticed. :)

Look OK?

 

Also, Google 'Matting Additive' - probably more effective than my method!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never come across this one before. It is possible to add a matting agent to gloss paint which could give you the look that you are looking for. Can any coach painters out there put flesh on these bones? I’ve no hands on experience to share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Theo said:

How is it lasting?  Is the undercoat reasonably weatherproof?

 

I suppose that what is required is a finish that you can't see your face in.

 

N

If left to weather naturaly the orribly shiney gloss finish will dull suficiently and look less naff. Our paintwork is now eighteen months old and looks fine without the shine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Theo said:

How is it lasting?  Is the undercoat reasonably weatherproof?

 

I suppose that what is required is a finish that you can't see your face in.

 

N

We sold the boat about 3 years after I'd painted it. At that point it was fine (well I thought so).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So.  Is the shiny mirror finish something that you have to work on to achieve?  Is it different from a normal gloss paint finish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Theo said:

So.  Is the shiny mirror finish something that you have to work on to achieve?  Is it different from a normal gloss paint finish?

My bro in laws boat is majorly shiney. They cruised with us this summer. He polished his boat once and sometimes twice every day 😮 including the brass!! Whilst he did this I sat having a life and a beer. The missus washed ours off with water every couple of weeks.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Look OK?

 

Also, Google 'Matting Additive' - probably more effective than my method!!

Looked lovely, even after you left here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I’ve never come across this one before. It is possible to add a matting agent to gloss paint which could give you the look that you are looking for. Can any coach painters out there put flesh on these bones? I’ve no hands on experience to share.

Yes you can add a matting agent to gloss paint, thats how satin and matt finishes are achieved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dave moore said:

I’ve never come across this one before. It is possible to add a matting agent to gloss paint which could give you the look that you are looking for. Can any coach painters out there put flesh on these bones? I’ve no hands on experience to share.

International and Craftsmaster both do matting agents and we do occasionally get asked for some to be added, either when repainting a small item (hatch, rear slide, gas locker etc) to match the existing slightly worn look, or when doing a light coloured roof (cream/light grey/off white).

Another solution is to do the boat in shades of Raddle!!!

If wanting to get a non shine using undercoat, you need to get at least one coat of topcoat on first to give the water resistance - undercoat and primers are not.  Phil Speight always used to get some gloss on before finishing with a non standard topcoat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Matty ( no pun intended )

I’m glad you pointed out the porosity of undercoats and primers, an issue I’m well aware of. I certainly wouldn’t leave a boat without gloss, regardless of what may be overpainted later. Others here may think differently. I’ve only lettered a very small number of boats with a non gloss finish, most reflect the painter’s diligence, skill and my ugly mug!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not go fashionable and ask for the "rat" look. Getting strangely popular in the classic car restoration scene!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.