Read the rules

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

There are many members here who are active members of thunderboat.

We didn't all get banned in the great purge.

The fact that some thunderboaters find all the rules here slightly ridiculous, with occasionally over active prefects in charge, and moderation subject to their moods and whims, is hardly surprising.

Even long standing and financially contributing members here agree.

The two forums are very different, but actually we are united in our shared love of boats and boating ...

Oh and caravans I suppose ;)

Rog

• Greenie 3

6 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Hardly a post about you, rather a post confirming the veracity of a previous post.

Phil

With the previous post being factually incorrect I'm afraid.

8 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

I’m afraid I dont know the other interests of forum members either here or on Thunderboat so I can’t answer your question, sorry.

But, hey just because youre paranoid it doesn’t mean they aren’t after you.

I am also a shed dragger, I post on both fora. (it's nicer to say than forums so Ner Ner! And I don't like to dumb down, lesser minds never learn if one does, there are lots of biscuiteers here, oops nearly made a political comment) 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

I post on both fora. (it's nicer to say than forums so Ner Ner! And I don't like to dumb down

I prefer to use the plural ‘forums’ as by using the plural ‘fora’, it looks as though one is trying to dumb up. 

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

You are correct to do so. Forum is (now) an English word, and English usually forms plurals by adding an 's'.

You put your finger on the nub of the issue. Using ‘fora’ is unnecessary and pretentious when there is a perfectly good English word with the same meaning. 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

You are correct to do so. Forum is (now) an English word, and English usually forms plurals by adding an 's'.

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You put your finger on the nub of the issue. Using ‘fora’ is unnecessary and pretentious when there is a perfectly good English word with the same meaning. 

So should we use "foras" to keep everyone happy?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, dogless said:

The fact that some thunderboaters find all the rules here slightly ridiculous,

Not just thunderboxers. Most of us here find all the rules ridiculous too. There is a skool of thought saying foras only need one rule:

”Don’t be a dick”. 

• Greenie 2

36 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not just thunderboxers. Most of us here find all the rules ridiculous too. There is a skool of thought saying foras only need one rule:

”Don’t be a dick”. 

To be fair most of the rules on here are pretty standard and not that ridiculous, in fact you don't even notice most of them for most of the time. The problems with the rules and the modding only kick in around the "don't be a d!ck" rules; that's when things could and probably should be handled better and with more uniformity. 

unfortunately every body thinks they have the ability to self moderate and every body thinks that they are justified in their opinions and actions, but we are rarely as good at it as we think we are - except moi, obvs. :giggles:

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 3

11 hours ago, rowland al said:

It seems to me that it is this forum which treats it’s members as children. 

In which case, if there really is another entire sub-section on an alternate "forum" dedicated to analysing what goes on here, what does that say about the people who make that their hobby?

Or was the post that said that just a joke, and in fact do people in the other place now show no interest in CWDF?

22 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

In which case, if there really is another entire sub-section on an alternate "forum" dedicated to analysing what goes on here, what does that say about the people who make that their hobby?

Or was the post that said that just a joke, and in fact do people in the other place now show no interest in CWDF?

Pay attention at the back, have you not noticed the number of obvious Thunderboat supporters in this thread alone.

I and many others log onto both sites everyday and there are a good number of those banned in the Great Cull who would happily contribute here.

Phil

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Pay attention at the back, have you not noticed the number of obvious Thunderboat supporters in this thread alone.

I and many others log onto both sites everyday and there are a good number of those banned in the Great Cull who would happily contribute here.

Phil

Exactly! I for one have a foot in both camps. I like the irreverand posts there and the free and easy camaraderie.

Sure there are a few tw dic plonkers there as well as here and a few (also on both forums) who can't help themselves and spoil it for others.

On Thunderboat they usually get squashed quite quickly so no need for the naughty step and the festering resentment.

• Greenie 2

I recall one member here who had some, er, interesting views on electrics. He gave up here and went to TB. He got absolutely slaughtered there and went to the FB 12V group. He got kicked off there by the group owner and then started his own FB 12V group where I’m sure he’s perfectly happy in his hierarchy of one. So neither place suits everybody. 

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:29, Athy said:

The expression is certainly open to interpretation because the moddies are individuals and not automatons, yes. As Gerald Ford famously said, "None of us is human". Or was it Ronald Reagan?

No, I don't see most of this thread as open criticism of moderating decisions (boo!. I see it as reasonable discussion (hoorah!).

I think that this is part of the problem that we have.

It seems to be beyond doubt that people ARE criticising the moderators for their actions, but in a move worthy of the Queen of Hearts, the mods decide that as it is reasonable discussion they will pretend that it isn't criticism at all.

Whatever rules we are to have, they will only work if there is consistency

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

From what I can see over there, all kinds of subjects are discussed. As mentioned, It’s obvious there will be cross pollination due to some members being members of both forums, not to mention those who were pushed off here because they had an alternative view to people such as yourself. 

Forums are predominately a form of entertainment (so shouldn’t be taken too seriously) but they do have some useful information at times (again shouldn’t be taken too seriously). Analysis of each other’s behaivior is fascinating at times and we can all learn from it. Good to see you participating in this analysis. 

5 minutes ago, mayalld said:

It seems to be beyond doubt that people ARE criticising the moderators for their actions, but in a move worthy of the Queen of Hearts, the mods decide that as it is reasonable discussion they will pretend that it isn't criticism at all.

Well, this one won't - and he is not keen on your use of "pretend".. If I say that I don't see most of this thread as open criticism of moderating decisions, then that is exactly what I mean. May we be clear on that point, please?

36 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I recall one member here who had some, er, interesting views on electrics. He gave up here and went to TB. He got absolutely slaughtered there and went to the FB 12V group. He got kicked off there by the group owner and then started his own FB 12V group where I’m sure he’s perfectly happy in his hierarchy of one. So neither place suits everybody. 

Is that the famous, and probably the ONLY occurrence where the other site was moderated?

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

Well, this one won't - and he is not keen on your use of "pretend".. If I say that I don't see most of this thread as open criticism of moderating decisions, then that is exactly what I mean. May we be clear on that point, please?

Are you entitled to your own definition of the word "criticism"? Because the dull old standard English definition seems to fit what's going on here pretty well.