12v Twin Tub

Movin' on

Featured Posts

Any one (I think they are all either the same with different labels, or at least all 'similar'.)

Bought ours from a camping shop at about £80

Much better than an 'auto' for both water and electric usage - BUT you do have to be 'involved' in the wash by taking out of the wash side and putting the washing in the 'spin' side.

Not to onerous !!

• Happy 1

Do  you actually mean 12 volt?

My experiences are all of 240V ones, albeit that some need only 150W, so will run off a completely Micky Mouse inverter.

Not sure I have ever encountered a 12 volt one.

10 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Do  you actually mean 12 volt?

My experiences are all of 240V ones, albeit that some need only 150W, so will run off a completely Micky Mouse inverter.

Not sure I have ever encountered a 12 volt one.

Good point  - NO I don’t mean 12 volt I mean very low power “portable” type well spotted!

Cant see how to edit the topic heading............

J

8 hours ago, sharpness said:

Yes, ours is a 12v twin tub, running off a "Mickey Mouse inverter"

What is it and would you recommend type and supplier?

The Chinese made plastic ones come in various sizes.  ours is a 3.5 Kg wash type.  Spin capacity  is a bit less.  It 's great, but bedding and bath towels are better in a laundrette.

N

We have a 5kg version, which copes better with towels, bedding , jeans etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5KG-Portable-Mini-Compact-Twin-Tub-Washing-Machine-Washer-Spin-Dryer-300W/122063477704?epid=26009704982&hash=item1c6b8cdbc8:g:AFgAAOSwVNxaC-mm

Mrs Hound says that it cleans and dries much better than the automatic one at home, and a wash & spin only takes 15 minutes or so, but you do have to be there for that time, filling, emptying and transferring clothes between drums.

Edited by cuthound
End of link was missing

They're ok but the biggest issue which is rarely mentioned is that to do a proper rinse takes forever.  Otherwise you'll have detergent residue all over your clothes.  It will probably give you a rash if it's bio.  What I used to do is do the wash, with a few clothes at a time (it won't take too many) and then dump the sodden clothes in a big plastic crate.  Then drain the washer and refill with clean water and rewash, then put the rinsed clothes in a new crate.  You have to repeat this at least 3-4 times before the clothes are properly rinsed.  Then you can start to spin them. 

Alternatively use a mild handwash liquid or these things called eco-balls, which don't really need to be rinsed.  Problem with them is they don't clean very well.

It's all a big hassle.  In the end I gave up and got a normal washing machine.

50 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Added:  I also lost count of the number of times the drain hose leapt onto the floor, flooding the kitchen.

Gurls !!!!!

Stupidity is doing the same thing a number of times and expecting a different result.

Put it in the shower, or on the rear deck.

Ours sits on the rear deck and the drain hose sits overboard. 

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Gurls !!!!!

Stupidity is doing the same thing a number of times and expecting a different result.

Put it in the shower, or on the rear deck.

Ours sits on the rear deck and the drain hose sits overboard. 

I couldn't get it in the shower.  It's too far from the tap to the deck and anyway, if I somehow managed to get it up and onto the deck,  it would then get rained on and shat on by birds.  Which ever way you slice it, they're awkward things.

Please do not speculate on my gender.  (I've said this before)

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Added:  I also lost count of the number of times the drain hose leapt onto the floor, flooding the kitchen.

Thanks for all this,

I don't have the option of a "proper" machine and it will be used in a full wet room so water splashing about isn't an issue ?

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

They're ok but the biggest issue which is rarely mentioned is that to do a proper rinse takes forever.  Otherwise you'll have detergent residue all over your clothes.  It will probably give you a rash if it's bio.  What I used to do is do the wash, with a few clothes at a time (it won't take too many) and then dump the sodden clothes in a big plastic crate.  Then drain the washer and refill with clean water and rewash, then put the rinsed clothes in a new crate.  You have to repeat this at least 3-4 times before the clothes are properly rinsed.  Then you can start to spin them. 

Alternatively use a mild handwash liquid or these things called eco-balls, which don't really need to be rinsed.  Problem with them is they don't clean very well.

It's all a big hassle.  In the end I gave up and got a normal washing machine.

"Hassle" is usually a factor of the time available and we have all the time in the world.........................

My procedure for washing with the twin tub is wash a load of a size that will fit in the spinner, but no more. Then drain the wash tub and spin out the clothes for two minutes. This will spin out a lot of the detergent with the water. Refill wash tub with cold water and agitate  clothes for five minutes. Empty tub and spin out clothes. Repeat for a second rinse. No detectable residue left and the second lot of rinse water looks pretty clean afterwards.

It is probably possible to shorten the time and reduce the water usage, but I find this method works well. Clothes are as clean, or better than with a conventional automatic.

When in use, the washer is placed on a wooden tray I made that hooks over the bath tub with the drain hose going in to the bath. Filled from the shower hose on the bath tap set.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Happy 1

36 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

My procedure for washing with the twin tub is wash a load of a size that will fit in the spinner, but no more. Then drain the wash tub and spin out the clothes for two minutes. This will spin out a lot of the detergent with the water. Refill wash tub with cold water and agitate  clothes for five minutes. Empty tub and spin out clothes. Repeat for a second rinse. No detectable residue left and the second lot of rinse water looks pretty clean afterwards.

It is probably possible to shorten the time and reduce the water usage, but I find this method works well. Clothes are as clean, or better than with a conventional automatic.

When in use, the washer is placed on a wooden tray I made that hooks over the bath tub with the drain hose going in to the bath. Filled from the shower hose on the bath tap set.

Jen

That is how we use ours as well.

14 hours ago, Halsey said:

Good point  - NO I don’t mean 12 volt I mean very low power “portable” type well spotted!

Cant see how to edit the topic heading............

J

What is it and would you recommend type and supplier?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QHB2GW6/ref=pe_385721_126463721_TE_dp_1

This is the one we bought & of course I meant it is 240V running off a "Mickey Mouse" inverter, not 12v

The only issue we had was the drain hose is a bit lightweight & split so I just replaced it. Otherwise the other half seems quite happy with it.

5 hours ago, Halsey said:

Thanks for all this,

I don't have the option of a "proper" machine and it will be used in a full wet room so water splashing about isn't an issue ?

"Hassle" is usually a factor of the time available and we have all the time in the world.........................

Some of us have other things to do than washing