Insurance for liveaboards

SadieF

Featured Posts

Hiya

Can anyone let me know an insurance company that insures liveaboard cc'ers. 

I just got a boat and having a bit of online faff with it. 

I also don't have a survey, so probably only third party available til I get it. Please let me know if that's right. The boat was made 1975.

Any other cc'ers out there, can you advise me what you did for insurance.

Thanks in advance

Sadie

You are correct. Most insurers won't insure fully comp without a satisfactory survey from a suitable marine surveyor a boat of that year. 

Most will insure third party only

Eg craftinsure,insure4boats etc

Edited by rusty69

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Just got my craftinsure renewal, up 20% on last year. 

Ours has just been renewed with GJW, with the renewal going up about £30 on last year.

John read an article (it could have been this one https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/home-and-car-insurance-prices-fall-cost-down-first-quarter-aa-research-a8312866.html) saying insurance premium (generally) have gone down 11% since 2017 prices. He wrote an email to GJW, and without any hassle, our premium this year is now less than last years.

It always pays to query.

6 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Ours has just been renewed with GJW, with the renewal going up about £30 on last year.

John read an article (it could have been this one https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/home-and-car-insurance-prices-fall-cost-down-first-quarter-aa-research-a8312866.html) saying insurance premium (generally) have gone down 11% since 2017 prices. He wrote an email to GJW, and without any hassle, our premium this year is now less than last years.

It always pays to query.

Or say your taking your business elsewhere, Which will often get you a better price.

• Greenie 1

As a liveaboard I've been with Nautical Boat Insurance for a few years. The premium seems reasonable.

You find out how good a company is when you need to claim and I had a large (£2,000) claim last year which they honoured without any problem.

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

It always pays to query.

I invited craftinsure to requote, they could not improve on the premium, advising older boat premiums are actually increasing this year. 

I have requested a quote from GJW:)

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I invited craftinsure to requote, they could not improve on the premium, advising older boat premiums are actually increasing this year. 

I have requested a quote from GJW:)

It would be interesting to compare...

Funnily enough, we rechecked the insurance; the policy stated it was for a 50ft boat. When it was clarified our boat was 58ft, GJW didn't appear to mind, and the premium didn't change. 

7 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

I believe GJW include live-aboard cover as standard. I've been with them on 4 boats now and they've never asked for a survey and always fully comp incl. contents.

I see with our 'new' renewal policy has basic RCR now included with the option to upgrade. Must admit I've not looked into RCR in any depth.

Edited by Jennifer McM

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

It's more likely you shiny, wet rubber suit?

I wasn't wearing that when i requested the quote. Perhaps i should! 

45 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I am with Collidge,  the premium has risen this year as the boat has entered the over 25 year old brigade. 

Ours is 35 years old, so maybe another bracket