Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
SadieF

Insurance for liveaboards

Featured Posts

Hiya

Can anyone let me know an insurance company that insures liveaboard cc'ers. 

 

I just got a boat and having a bit of online faff with it. 

 

I also don't have a survey, so probably only third party available til I get it. Please let me know if that's right. The boat was made 1975.

 

Any other cc'ers out there, can you advise me what you did for insurance.

 

Thanks in advance

Sadie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct. Most insurers won't insure fully comp without a satisfactory survey from a suitable marine surveyor a boat of that year. 

 

Most will insure third party only

 

Eg craftinsure,insure4boats etc

Edited by rusty69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have fully comprehensive insurance as CCer liveaboards from Craftinsure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, pearley said:

We have fully comprehensive insurance as CCer liveaboards from Craftinsure. 

Me too. I've been with them for about 12 years. They have no problem with liveaboards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got cover from GJW this week. Livingaboard in a marina - which they asked and so knew about it when they quoted.

 

Included contents cover as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Just got my craftinsure renewal, up 20% on last year. 

Ours has just been renewed with GJW, with the renewal going up about £30 on last year.

 

John read an article (it could have been this one https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/home-and-car-insurance-prices-fall-cost-down-first-quarter-aa-research-a8312866.html) saying insurance premium (generally) have gone down 11% since 2017 prices. He wrote an email to GJW, and without any hassle, our premium this year is now less than last years.

 

It always pays to query.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Ours has just been renewed with GJW, with the renewal going up about £30 on last year.

 

John read an article (it could have been this one https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/home-and-car-insurance-prices-fall-cost-down-first-quarter-aa-research-a8312866.html) saying insurance premium (generally) have gone down 11% since 2017 prices. He wrote an email to GJW, and without any hassle, our premium this year is now less than last years.

 

It always pays to query.

Or say your taking your business elsewhere, Which will often get you a better price.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

As a liveaboard I've been with Nautical Boat Insurance for a few years. The premium seems reasonable.

 

You find out how good a company is when you need to claim and I had a large (£2,000) claim last year which they honoured without any problem.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Ours has just been renewed with GJW, with the renewal going up about £30 on last year.

 

John read an article (it could have been this one https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/home-and-car-insurance-prices-fall-cost-down-first-quarter-aa-research-a8312866.html) saying insurance premium (generally) have gone down 11% since 2017 prices. He wrote an email to GJW, and without any hassle, our premium this year is now less than last years.

 

It always pays to query.

I invited craftinsure to requote, they could not improve on the premium, advising older boat premiums are actually increasing this year. 

 

I have requested a quote from GJW:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After being given an astronomical renewal quote from Towergate Mardon I now insure with Nautical marine services, very easy to deal with and all done over the phone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I invited craftinsure to requote, they could not improve on the premium, advising older boat premiums are actually increasing this year. 

 

I have requested a quote from GJW:)

It would be interesting to compare...

 

Funnily enough, we rechecked the insurance; the policy stated it was for a 50ft boat. When it was clarified our boat was 58ft, GJW didn't appear to mind, and the premium didn't change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Craftinsure premium went down by about £20 this year. I've been with them for over 12 years now and never made a claim.

Edited by blackrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

My Craftinsure premium went down by about £20 this year. I've been with them for over 12 years now and never made a claim.

Interesting. I have similar no claims, but perhaps an older boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe GJW include live-aboard cover as standard. I've been with them on 4 boats now and they've never asked for a survey and always fully comp incl. contents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

I believe GJW include live-aboard cover as standard. I've been with them on 4 boats now and they've never asked for a survey and always fully comp incl. contents.

I see with our 'new' renewal policy has basic RCR now included with the option to upgrade. Must admit I've not looked into RCR in any depth.

 

 

Edited by Jennifer McM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Interesting. I have similar no claims, but perhaps an older boat. 

It's more likely you shiny, wet rubber suit?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Interesting. I have similar no claims, but perhaps an older boat. 

I am with Collidge,  the premium has risen this year as the boat has entered the over 25 year old brigade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

It's more likely you shiny, wet rubber suit?

I wasn't wearing that when i requested the quote. Perhaps i should! 

45 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I am with Collidge,  the premium has risen this year as the boat has entered the over 25 year old brigade. 

Ours is 35 years old, so maybe another bracket 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.