Marinas

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

Hi, 

we we are South Wales based and looking to find a Marina for a 58 foot narrowboat as close to home as possible. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good secure Marina, at sensible rates that’s not the 3 hour drive that we currently make to Northamts?

many t(hanks

51 minutes ago, Dunworkin said:

Not really too bothered....something around the Worcester area maybe good, I th8nk that there is a Marina at Droitwich...which is much less of a drive. Anybody know what it’s like?

We were not overly impressed with the marina actually in the town - but we were on the public moorings 'next door'. Or do you mean the marina on the W&B which is a much better location; roads and railway excepted of course.... 

53 minutes ago, Dunworkin said:

Not really too bothered....something around the Worcester area maybe good, I th8nk that there is a Marina at Droitwich...which is much less of a drive. Anybody know what it’s like?

The Droitchwich marina is very very handy for the Rugby Club,  not been there on a boat but I have been when Banbury have been playing rugby against them.  Looks nice enough.

8 minutes ago, owenk said:

The Droitchwich marina is very very handy for the Rugby Club,  not been there on a boat but I have been when Banbury have been playing rugby against them.  Looks nice enough.

We called in to use the laundry here last year. It looked well set up and well kept. Good hydraulic trailer for pull outs to hard standing.

Droitwich and Saul Junction are the two main marinas that spring to mind writhin easy distance of South Wales eg. Swansea area.  There is also Worcester and Tewkesbury.  In don’t know the K&A so can’t suggest any there.

Not wanting to dis Droitwich marina per se (I was only commenting not attempting to rubbish it) but while you are there have a look at the river section down to the Severn, it's quite reedy which some folks don't like and IIRC a couple of the locks are a bit heavy.  Going the other way up to the W&B there's a very low culvert (ca't really call it a tunnel) and I mean LOW, tall roof boxes and other rooftop paraphernalia - take care. There's no towpath through (again IIRC) so difficult to see. It has been said that if someone coming down empties a lock full it might tip the scales if there's little clearance to start with (some nice person reading this may post the headroom to disavow me (which would be nice).   

57 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Not wanting to dis Droitwich marina per se (I was only commenting not attempting to rubbish it) but while you are there have a look at the river section down to the Severn, it's quite reedy which some folks don't like and IIRC a couple of the locks are a bit heavy.  Going the other way up to the W&B there's a very low culvert (ca't really call it a tunnel) and I mean LOW, tall roof boxes and other rooftop paraphernalia - take care. There's no towpath through (again IIRC) so difficult to see. It has been said that if someone coming down empties a lock full it might tip the scales if there's little clearance to start with (some nice person reading this may post the headroom to disavow me (which would be nice).   

If you are in Droitwich Marina and heading for the W&B you won't pass through the very low M5 culvert.

32 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If you are in Droitwich Marina and heading for the W&B you won't pass through the very low M5 culvert.

My bad - I was referring to Netherwich Basin (which is at the Severn end of Droitwich town (CaRT says no vacancies anyway). The 'other' marina is on the W&B and called Droitwich SPA marina (sticks neck out - nowhere near the spa...).

Sorry for the confusion - I certainly am - but then I'm a Furriner.

31 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

My bad - I was referring to Netherwich Basin (which is at the Severn end of Droitwich town (CaRT says no vacancies anyway). The 'other' marina is on the W&B and called Droitwich SPA marina (sticks neck out - nowhere near the spa...).

Sorry for the confusion - I certainly am - but then I'm a Furriner.

The marina is actually on the Droitwich Junction canal, it is 3 locks to the W&B.  We left the boat there for a few weeks, but that was not long after they opened, and I don’t think there was much there then.  There was a fair bit of noise from the M5 though, a consideration if you wanted to spend a lot of time on the boat in the marina.

We've called in at Droitwich Spa marina several times since the Droitwich reopened in 2011? when passing to empty cassettes  & top up diesel. The marina has developed a lot over the years from the container they started in but they are still a very friendly & helpful bunch. 3 locks (with working side ponds!!!!!) up to the W&B & an ace carvery at The Eagle & Sun at Hanbury wharf. Some of the 7 or 8 locks down to the Severn from Droitwich town moorings are a bit heavy but 6 weeks ago the reeds were nowhere near as bad as when it first reopened & are no real problem.

19 hours ago, David Mack said:

Having been up to Bumble Hole I don't count anything as 'low' unless I have to take my tiller pin out.

Droitwich Spa Marina should not be confused with Nantwich Basin in the town (as Old Goat corrected) and was newly built about 5 or 6 years ago and is now well established.  The manager and staff there are really excellent and the place is very well kept.  Google their website to find out if their offering fits your requirement and cost bracket.

On 23/07/2018 at 16:04, OldGoat said:

We were not overly impressed with the marina actually in the town - but we were on the public moorings 'next door'. Or do you mean the marina on the W&B which is a much better location; roads and railway excepted of course.... 

If be interested to know what you didn't like about it if you didn't stay in it.

19 minutes ago, Ssscrudddy said:

but we were on the public moorings 'next door'.

19 minutes ago, Ssscrudddy said:

If be interested to know what you didn't like about it if you didn't stay in it.

Essentially he did stay in it.  This is a basin with finger pontoons, some are public, some are berth holders only. It couldn't really be described as a marina.

Edited by philjw
spelling

1 hour ago, philjw said:

Essentially he did stay in it.  This is a basin with finger pontoons, some are public, some are berth holders only. It couldn't really be described as a marina.

Doesn't Capt Pegg moor Vulpes in the Basin, or am I misremembering?  I've stayed overnight in there on one of the public moorings, which was fine - the others moorings appeared to be residential.  It's secured by a gate with a BW key, so I think it's a CRT site (JP will confirm ownership) but I'm not sure it fits with what the OP is looking for.

There's the new marina at Withybed, just up from Alvechurch.  I thought it expensive for the few facilities they had, but there may be vacant moorings there.  Good cruising base I'd suggest.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Having been up to Bumble Hole I don't count anything as 'low' unless I have to take my tiller pin out.

The 'umbleHole is the lowest bridge Old Friends has been under, 1"above catch board, lower than any on the Stort or Miggle Levuls in normal conditions. 

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The 'umbleHole is the lowest bridge Old Friends has been under, 1"above catch board, lower than any on the Stort or Miggle Levuls in normal conditions. 

Doubt it. The muggle level is below sea level. :)