Marinas

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Droitwich Spa Marina should not be confused with Nantwich Basin in the town (as Old Goat corrected) and was newly built about 5 or 6 years ago and is now well established.  The manager and staff there are really excellent and the place is very well kept.  Google their website to find out if their offering fits your requirement and cost bracket.

You mean Netherwich Basin.

This topic has been one mistake after another.  Hopefully Dunworkin hasn't got too confused!!!  Anyway, The new marina at Droitwich isn't really that close to South Wales.  I'm fairly sure my suggestion on the Monmouth & Brecon is the closest!  If it's on the main network then Saul Junction of something on the K&A would be a lot closer.  Also worth looking at would be river marinas like Tewkesbury or Upton, these are also closer than Droitwich.  Technically, its not a marina, but if it were me I'd be looking at Gloucester Docks.  It's lovely there and CRT moorings come up quite often.

22 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Droitwich Spa Marina should not be confused with Nantwich Basin in the town (as Old Goat corrected) and was newly built about 5 or 6 years ago and is now well established.  

Netherwich Basin (not Nantwich) was excavated by Droitwich Canals Trust and Waterway Recovery Group volunteers in the early 1980s, along with the main canal channel which had been infilled between the railway bridge and the Barge Lock. The basin was fitted out with pontoons etc in its current form by BW as part of the final completion of the restoration.

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

This topic has been one mistake after another.  Hopefully Dunworkin hasn't got too confused!!!  Anyway, The new marina at Droitwich isn't really that close to South Wales.  I'm fairly sure my suggestion on the Monmouth & Brecon is the closest!  If it's on the main network then Saul Junction of something on the K&A would be a lot closer.  Also worth looking at would be river marinas like Tewkesbury or Upton, these are also closer than Droitwich.  Technically, its not a marina, but if it were me I'd be looking at Gloucester Docks.  It's lovely there and CRT moorings come up quite often.

I have friends who live on the Gower in South Wales and find Droitwich Marina very convenient, being less tha two and a half hours drive.

10 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

This topic has been one mistake after another.

I do mean Netherwitton, or even Netherwich since Android  autocorrect appears also to have trouble with the name! Better have a comment from someone who knows the area rather than never makes an error in a post I'd have thought, but I'll accept the slap anyway.

23 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I do mean Netherwitton, or even Netherwich since Android  autocorrect appears also to have trouble with the name! Better have a comment from someone who knows the area rather than never makes an error in a post I'd have thought, but I'll accept the slap anyway.

That Dora is a HARSH woman.

Odd, given she only is only about 9 years old, looking at her photo...

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well that also chimes with her knowledge of geography if she thinks there's a lot of choice of marinas on the canal network which are a few minutes drive from South Wales. ;) Gloucester or Saul Junction may be marginally closer, depending whereabouts in South Wales were talking, but then you're at the mercy of the moods of the mighty Severn whenever you cruise anywhere,  and she's a very fickle mistress indeed!  Hopefully the OP got a few ideas before no-one dare post anything else. :D

On 23/07/2018 at 13:34, Dunworkin said:

Hi, 

we we are South Wales based and looking to find a Marina for a 58 foot narrowboat as close to home as possible. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good secure Marina, at sensible rates that’s not the 3 hour drive that we currently make to Northamts?

many t(hanks

The three marinas near Napton are under 2 1/2 hrs drive from South Wales. We go back down every couple of months. They are only 30 mins further than Droitwich Spa and far better choice of which way to go when you come out of the marina. We thought long and hard about Droitwich but glad we chose Napton .......Warwickshire is a lovely place.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

The three marinas near Napton are under 2 1/2 hrs drive from South Wales. We go back down every couple of months. They are only 30 mins further than Droitwich Spa and far better choice of which way to go when you come out of the marina. We thought long and hard about Droitwich but glad we chose Napton .......Warwickshire is a lovely place.

As Mr. S. Dog points out, south Wales is a BIG place. I bet Napton is more than a 2 1/2 hour drive from say Swansea.

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I fly quite often in my dreams. I'm running and I trip over and miss the ground. AIRBORNE, YAY!!!!!!!

That's not flying.  That's falling with style.

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You've never seen a photo of me

24 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

According to Google, from Cardiff.

Saul Junction Marina 1:04

Gloucester Docks 1:12

Tewkesbury Marina 1:22

Droitwich Spa Marina 1:40

Calcutt Marina 2:26.

It's personal choice, of course, but the unreliable nature of Severn navigation writes the first 3 off for me, and they're all closer to home for me too.  So that makes Droitwich Spa the closest viable choice from the list above, but it may well be academic - I'm pretty sure it was full and had a waiting list earlier this year.  Napton is a very nice place to start from but, of course, for that reason it's also very popular and bursting with marinas so, from my experience of cruising around there and from using Navy boats based at Calcutt over many years, you're often starting at the back of a queue.  Spoilt for choice of marinas though, so it may be a good option for the OP.  We drive 3 hours to our boat, but it's rather nice to have a base and local cruising in another area than that in which you already live.

22 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We drive 3 hours to our boat, but it's rather nice to have a base and local cruising in another area than that in which you already live.

Quite so. Trojan was moored at the end of our garden for its first three years; since then she's been at various locations in the Cropredy area, which is about 97 miles from here, average road time 2 hours 10 minutes. We take her out far more now than we did before.