Deckhead lighting.Hello.

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I converted all mine to LED three or so years ago. I have found all is well with all the fitting but the two lugs that push and pull the switch on the inside break. Become brittle. Tried glue of all sorts. Never works/sticks. 

You only need a tiny rocker switch to work an LED lamp. A small square hole made in the plastic frame would hold one, just transfer the wires to it.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

You only need a tiny rocker switch to work an LED lamp. A small square hole made in the plastic frame would hold one, just transfer the wires to it.

That's an idea to look at. 

23 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Ceiling lights are what I'm after, and I believe in nautical circles ceilings are referred to as deckhead.

I have always struggled with the use of nautical terms I'm unfamiliar with for narrow boats.

I know what a deck is, and thought "heads" was a toilet, so my first though was "outside toilet"!

• Haha 1

On 09/04/2018 at 08:46, Nightwatch said:

Ceiling lights are what I'm after, and I believe in nautical circles ceilings are referred to as deckhead. Sorry if I have confused.

(when I wrote deckhead I thought comments about decks and dicks may have been forthcoming sooner).

Shock horror! This is a sensible thread....and I need to replace my lights as well!:)

47 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I have always struggled with the use of nautical terms I'm unfamiliar with for narrow boats.

I too am somewhat bemused by the following terms I've seen applied to narrowboats. 

Forepeak, fairleads, heads, rafting up, king plank(no idea what this is), side decks (gunwales(?), deckhead (thanks for the enlightenment).  

I''m not really comfortable in referring to port and starboard, either.

My favorite is CaRT's double breasted boats but I'm not sure whether this is a nautical term or not.

Edited by koukouvagia

17 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

I too am somewhat bemused by the following terms I've seen applied to narrowboats. 

Forepeak, fairleads, heads, rafting up, king plank(no idea what this is), side decks (gunwales(?), deckhead (thanks for the enlightenment).  

My favorite is CaRT's double breasted boats but I'm not sure whether this is a nautical term or not.

I don't find you need to use the port and starboard words much on a narrowboat but you certainly did on a lumpy water boat and particularly when there were a lot of crew. The nomenclature becomes important when you need to instantly get action in a certain part of the boat. That is seldom required on a NB.

31 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

I'm with you in spirit but would make an exception for "fairleads" because the term is shorter than "those metal things which prevent ropes damaging the paintwork". If there is a shorter "real world" term for the things, I am ignorant of it.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I know what a deck is, and thought "heads" was a toilet, so my first though was "outside toilet"!

When I read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin books I had to buy another book that was a glossary of Napoleonic era nautical terms to make sense of them. I now know what a futtock is, how it is different from a futtock shroud and use the term regularly in everyday conversation. :)

Jen

Weirdly, the spelll checkor on my computer doesn't recognise futtock as a word.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

I'm with you in spirit but would make an exception for "fairleads" because the term is shorter than "those metal things which prevent ropes damaging the paintwork". If there is a shorter "real world" term for the things, I am ignorant of it.

I suppose the nearest equivalent to a "fairlead" on an historic boat would be this roller/guide tied to the top plank of a butty.  I don't know what its proper name is, though. (Picture is of Ilford).

DSCF0257.JPG.3a0b54079b0834653f88c5f6ac221d6f.JPG

14 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

When I read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin books I had to buy another book that was a glossary of Napoleonic era nautical terms to make sense of them. I now know what a futtock is, how it is different from a futtock shroud and use the term regularly in everyday conversation. :)

Jen

Weirdly, the spell checker on my computer doesn't recognise futtock as a word.

Isn't a futtock something to do with hull timbers? A futtock shroud I have no idea apart from maybe a protection cover or deck board. 

Just looked it up, a shroud is up in the friggin' riggin'.

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Isn't a futtock something to do with hull timbers? A futtock shroud I have no idea apart from maybe a protection cover or deck board. 

Yes, an individual bit of timber used in building up something like a rib.

Just looked it up, a shroud is up in the friggin' riggin'.

Yes! As far away from the futtocks as it is possible to get. No idea how that was supposed to make sense.

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

But in all honesty where these salty water terms ever used by narrow boat steerers or Captains in the working days, and I mean before the films made by BWB in the 50s. or did they  use land lubber language like back and front, left and right. 

25 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Shrouds is another word for stays, mast stays or standing rigging, rigging that doesn't move, unlike running rigging ie halyards, sheets ect and ropes or cables that do move to haul something.

When is a rope a sheet?  Or indeed a halyard?

I was on a yacht once when the skipper shouted at me to “Pull that sheet!”  I couldn’t see any sheets anywhere, just a bunch of ropes. 

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I was on a yacht once when the skipper shouted at me to “Pull that sheet!”  I couldn’t see any sheets anywhere, just a bunch of ropes. 

The ropes or lines that haul and adjust the sails in and out to an angle to take the most advantage of the winds direction, a bit like the throttle on a car. A square rigged ship would have sheets and braces, the braces to haul the yard arms round and the sheets to haul the foot of the sails round. The yard arms are what the sails hang from.  The Halyards is the rope or ropes that hoists or lowers the sail, uphaul or downhaul.

Edited by bizzard

27 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I was told the only rope on a sailing boat was attached to the ships bell.Possibly the rope ladder too!

32 minutes ago, WotEver said:

A halyard is the rope that attaches to the top of the sail - so pulls it up.

A sheet is a rope that attaches to the clew of the sail (the loose bit) that you pull to stretch the sail - rather than the tack which is the front bottom bit (of a triangular sail). If you are flying a spinnaker, then the clew and tack swap places as you gybe as long as its not an assymetric and you dont get it wrapped round the forestay.

A futtock shroud must be a 'shroud' (ie a  permanent rope or wire that attaches at the top to the mast, spar or other rigging) and then is attached to a futtock at the bottom. Never heard of a futtock before.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I haven't got a clew, but I do like a cringle (especially cheese 'n' onion)

My favourite bit of sailing nomenclature is the story of two friends racing in a dinghy. They were on a beam reach with a number of other dinghies close by. The guy up front shouted “bear away”. The helm obliged with a slight movement of the tiller. “Bear away” came the response, so he turned the tiller more. “No, bear away the other way”.............

Apologies to those of you who haven't sailed. That will go right over your heads.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I've heard of "anchors away", but never "bears away" . When I want to bear away, I let the flappy thing out a bit:)

Well I know that!

It is interesting that all these terms are different to what a non sailor would invent. So to 'bear away', you let the flappy thing out a bit and the boat turns away from the wind. The opposite is to 'harden up' or pull the flappy thing in a bit and the boat turns into the wind. If you cant remember the word 'harden up', the words 'bear away the other way' just about works - until everyone collapses laughing.

After that dinghy incident, when we were racing our lumpy water boat, if someone wanted us to turn into wind, the call was always 'bear away the other way'.

• Haha 1