Deckhead lighting.Hello.

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Well thanks y’all... I wonder how much of all that I’ll remember tomorrow :)

You're not going to watch the Liverpool match tonight as well are you? Party in the not the unStable bar tonight to watch the game.

Just now, Dr Bob said:

You're not going to watch the Liverpool match tonight as well are you? Party in the not the unStable bar tonight to watch the game.

What is this match to which you refer? If it involves 22 millionaires kicking a pig’s bladder around for an hour and a half then no, I have better things to do with my life ;)

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

And don't mention Leo.I've been sailing for years and i've never met the bloke,although his name is often mentioned!

I know. It sounds daft but in howling wind and rain, it is so distinctive that the guy on the foredeck knows when to duck.

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

When is a rope a sheet?  Or indeed a halyard?

I was on a yacht once when the skipper shouted at me to “Pull that sheet!”  I couldn’t see any sheets anywhere, just a bunch of ropes. 

Or indeed a warp.....

On our narrow boats warps are what stop the doors fitting properly.

35 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Or indeed a warp.....

On our narrow boats warps are what stop the doors fitting properly.

On our boat we have sheets, ropes, pillow cases and I would like a warp drive.

Edited by Dr Bob

5 hours ago, bizzard said:

Shrouds is another word for stays, mast stays or standing rigging, rigging that doesn't move, unlike running rigging ie halyards, sheets ect and ropes or cables that do move to haul something.

you're just being Miss Cheevyus. ......... you know very well that stays are always on the centreline (or otherwise designed to restrain the mast in a fore and aft sense as in a running backstay), and shrouds go to each side, to restrain the mast from flopping from side to side..

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Seems a few are sneaking in

Quite so. :) I should have called them sidestays, shrouds is an old name for them these days and I don't think used much anymore. Most folk call them sidestays, in the sailing dinghy world anyway.  Backstays are generally only used on the larger sailing boats and ships these days too. On the majority of small craft the shrouds-sidestays are fixed to the gunwhales a bit further aft instead.  Some small sailing dinghies have no stays at all, just a mast poked through a hole in a forward thwart with its foot in a socket to support it, these boats would have a very simple lug sail, or balanced lug sail. Sometimes the lug sail halyard doubles as a forestay on them. As per the little sailing dinghies in Swallows and Amazons.    Ah, sorry Nightwatch, this post is meant for Murflynn.

Edited by bizzard

Chinese gybing is not fun. Did that once. Not to be tried again. Had to cut the spinny halyard and lost the spinnaker..which meant going to the top of the mast to rethread a new halyard (after the race of course).

Edited by Dr Bob

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Chinese gybing is not fun. Did that once. Not to be tried again. Had to cut the spinny halyard and lost the spinnaker..which meant going to the top of the mast to rethread a new halyard (after the race of course).

Did you snap your boom vang!

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Did you snap your boom vang!

No, boat ended up on its side with keel out of the water being dragged along in a 30 knot wind (2m keel!!!). It was 34ft boat with 6 crew, 2 of which were waistdeep in water. Popped up nicely once the spinny halyard was cut. Lucky we didnt loose the mast, boom or the mainsail. Frightening experience. It was a shackle holding the spinnaker pole down that failed which caused us to loose control.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

No, boat ended up on its side with keel out of the water being dragged along in a 30 knot wind (2m keel!!!). It was 34ft boat with 6 crew, 2 of which were waistdeep in water. Popped up nicely once the spinny halyard was cut. Lucky we didnt loose the mast, boom or the mainsail. Frightening experience. It was a shackle holding the spinnaker pole down that failed which caused us to loose control.

Ooopps Brown underpants moment all round!

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

Quite so. :) I should have called them sidestays, shrouds is an old name for them these days and I don't think used much anymore. Most folk call them sidestays, in the sailing dinghy world anyway.  Backstays are generally only used on the larger sailing boats and ships these days too. On the majority of small craft the shrouds-sidestays are fixed to the gunwhales a bit further aft instead.  Some small sailing dinghies have no stays at all, just a mast poked through a hole in a forward thwart with its foot in a socket to support it, these boats would have a very simple lug sail, or balanced lug sail. Sometimes the lug sail halyard doubles as a forestay on them. As per the little sailing dinghies in Swallows and Amazons.    Ah, sorry Nightwatch, this post is meant for Murflynn.

dinghies dinkies aren't proper boats, they are toys. .................. 'sidestays' is a revolting expression not used by serious sailors.  

ready about!   lee-oh!      mind the boom!!   :boat:

Edited by Murflynn