wide beam navigation

Craig Campbell

Featured Posts

You can get a lot of boats on those moorings if people are sensible with how they moor.

A couple of narrowboats on the other hand can take up the whole mooring with a bit of inconsiderate mooring which is why they have a bit of a bad reputation on the river.

We could have got a few more in here had we needed:

13567422_10155019074313312_2124555589920

DSC_0625.jpg

And when the narrowboats take up all the mooring you just have to get a bit creative.

DSC_0658.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It is a shame NBs dont breast up more often. On canals as well as rivers. It is a very sociable thing to do.

till the boat nearest the towpath raises their pram hood

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is that Guy Martin just reaching out for a pickled-egg ?

No, that's son #1. Pickled eggs are banned on my boat anyway.

Here is my favourite photo of narrowboats doing Mediterranean mooring. Very sociable as noted above. I think a herringbone formation would work well on those pontoons. 

683565937f0f089f6cb1cedd25ee78ac02470017

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Better then most but you could have still used a bit less.

Ha! Just after I had finished mooring - which involved what felt like a quarter-mile walk to attach the bow line - the cruiser behind offered to move along. I said I was perfectly happy where I was.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

You can get a lot of boats on those moorings if people are sensible with how they moor.

A couple of narrowboats on the other hand can take up the whole mooring with a bit of inconsiderate mooring which is why they have a bit of a bad reputation on the river.

We could have got a few more in here had we needed:

13567422_10155019074313312_2124555589920

Perhaps he should have moored his narrowboat stern end in, like all the others? :P

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Better then most but you could have still used a bit less.

The amount of mooring that you use should be in proportion the the amount of licence fee you pay, is that ok :)

Mooring at Stratford river festival

57BAC7E7-7FD6-455F-8D7E-B19DC44D07AB.jpeg

If there is a clever person around, I'd like to know how many narrowboats all of length x can be moored at an angle of y degrees in a waterway of width z whilst still leaving reasable room to navigate past?  And what is the minimum width of the waterway to make mooring at an angle worth going for to save bank mooring space?   

11 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

If there is a clever person around, I'd like to know how many narrowboats all of length x can be moored at an angle of y degrees in a waterway of width z whilst still leaving reasable room to navigate past?  And what is the minimum width of the waterway to make mooring at an angle worth going for to save bank mooring space?   

An impossible question to answer.

If you were to quantify two of the three variables x, y and z, then the missing one can easily be calculated. Otherwise the best that can be offered is an algebraic formula so you can work it out for yourself using your own known values. 

One further variable you didn't mention is the length of pontoon available.

The question is flawed because there are other variables, notably the length of bank available, but it can be answered after a fashion, except for a slight adjustment according to the shape of the bow and stern. I'm going to assume there's enough depth on the towpath side for the stern of a moored boat, and that z is the navigable width from there.

A first approximation is to regard each boat as a rectangle x feet by 7, i.e. we make no allowance for the boats being tapered at each end.

Then the gap remaining is z - x sin y - 7 cos y. If that's less than the "reasonable width", the answer is no boats, if over it the answer is you can moor lots, depending entirely on the length of bank! It begs the question of what's a reasonable width to navigate through; some might say 7' 1" is plenty, I'm sure widebeam owners would have a different idea.

In practice you could disregard some of the 7 cos y part, particularly if y is over about 20 degrees, because the bow and stern are tapered. If you really want to make a mathematician work for it you could ask for the formula when f(x) is a function giving the boat's width at a distance of x from the bow.

I should get out more. It's a nice sunny day here and the forecast is the same for tomorrow, so I'm going out in the garden for some of it. I have concrete plans.

3 hours ago, Peter X said:

The question is flawed because there are other variables, notably the length of bank available, but it can be answered after a fashion, except for a slight adjustment according to the shape of the bow and stern. I'm going to assume there's enough depth on the towpath side for the stern of a moored boat, and that z is the navigable width from there.

A first approximation is to regard each boat as a rectangle x feet by 7, i.e. we make no allowance for the boats being tapered at each end.

Then the gap remaining is z - x sin y - 7 cos y. If that's less than the "reasonable width", the answer is no boats, if over it the answer is you can moor lots, depending entirely on the length of bank! It begs the question of what's a reasonable width to navigate through; some might say 7' 1" is plenty, I'm sure widebeam owners would have a different idea.

In practice you could disregard some of the 7 cos y part, particularly if y is over about 20 degrees, because the bow and stern are tapered. If you really want to make a mathematician work for it you could ask for the formula when f(x) is a function giving the boat's width at a distance of x from the bow.

I should get out more. It's a nice sunny day here and the forecast is the same for tomorrow, so I'm going out in the garden for some of it. I have concrete plans.

If your boat is a shape that has a constant width (ie measured in all directions) then it won't make any difference which way it points. There's a nice example top right on this page - a triangular boat that will always take up a square of river space.... Not sure how this would be treated under the new licencing regime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve_of_constant_width

I hope your concrete is now setting nicely. I am a mathmo (a bit rusty) and should get out more.

5 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Infinty,16.5M, 48.92deg, 10.29M, 9.7M assuming a depth greater than the draught of each boat and a straight bit of cut. I will translate if Mrsmelly turns up.

I expect my concrete is setting nicely, thanks for your concern. It should be good because the forecast for tonight and tomorrow is dry and not too cold. It's only a small area of path, but it took a while because I was being quite cautious not turning over too much of the mix at a time with my shovel, as I'm not supposed to do any heavy lifting until late May.