Just in time for Easter

matty40s

Featured Posts

Matty, you posted this topic twice, so i have taken the liberty of hiding the other one.

Rained c''s and d's most of yesterday here, with a side order of hailstones, so I'm not surprised that the area's rivers are filling up

On 3/29/2018 at 11:56, Chop! said:

After months of winter works and red flags, we finally got back out on the river last weekend!

Was planning to go out again later! :0(

cameringo_20180324_093802.jpg

Good to see pic of you out Chop. Guessing all is well if youre planning to get out again..

Catch up soon hopefully

• Happy 1

27 minutes ago, Martin Trnecka said:

Has anybody a crystal ball for the week after next, as I will be navigating (or at least intend to) Nene, Middle Levels and Great Ouse to my home marine? :huh:

Think you'll be lucky if it clears in a week at least on the Ouse. Had alot of rain- it will be a couple of days before it comes down from Milton Keynes and then a good few more to drain it all away. But you never know..

10 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Think you'll be lucky if it clears in a week at least on the Ouse. Had alot of rain- it will be a couple of days before it comes down from Milton Keynes and then a good few more to drain it all away. But you never know..

Planning to start on Nene next Friday, but have few bumper days if need to.

45 minutes ago, Martin Trnecka said:

Has anybody a crystal ball for the week after next, as I will be navigating (or at least intend to) Nene, Middle Levels and Great Ouse to my home marine? :huh:

I'm glad you have been so in depth in your boating questions, lots of new boaters aren't and get caught out quite rudely sometimes. 

If you are going to the Lark, the Nene is your main worry. The Ouse at the bottom end isn't such a worry, just hard work.

Thanks Matty.

I am also lucky that I got time off work and can take it easy. So when I pick up my boat on Sunday in Rugby Boats, I will take it up on Grand Union towards Norton Junction and up on Leicester arm for few days. In this way I will get to know the boat bit better before I take it on the rivers. Still have jitters anyway.

10 hours ago, Martin Trnecka said:

Thanks Matty.

I am also lucky that I got time off work and can take it easy. So when I pick up my boat on Sunday in Rugby Boats, I will take it up on Grand Union towards Norton Junction and up on Leicester arm for few days. In this way I will get to know the boat bit better before I take it on the rivers. Still have jitters anyway.

Be aware that here in the Fens, through which you must pass, it's going to widdle it down with rain ALL DAY on Monday. So do check Nene and Gt. Ouse levels. You'll be fine on the Middle Level section, as it is well drained and never floods.

50 minutes ago, matty40s said:

River Sence (Soar catchment area).

the bywashes are quite a challenge today and the waterfalls are spectacular. 

20180331_084615.jpg

20180331_085152.jpg

Looking just like the Forth & Clyde every day of the year bar none! (for as long as it remains intact that is)

10 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Looking just like the Forth & Clyde every day of the year bar none! (for as long as it remains intact that is)

Difference is that this generally has a lack of water,  first time I have been on this section and not had to plough through some pounds or send someone ahead to let water down.

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Difference is that this generally has a lack of water,  first time I have been on this section and not had to plough through some pounds or send someone ahead to let water down.

You also get exactly the same amount of water coming over the top gates of the 66' locks when locking up as the F&C has no by washes or ground paddles. Negotiating the Maryhill Flight in a 60'+ boat can, therefore, be very interesting ........