HELP! I dropped a twig in my fuel tank!

Featured Posts

I am such an idiot. I was trying to gauge how much fuel I had in the tank and was using a stick that wasn't long enough and it slipped out of my fingers into the tank. I tried to look with a torch for it but couldn't see it.

How screwed am I?

I guess in the short term I will be okay until the stick starts disintegrating right?

Anyone else stupid enough to do this?

Any tips for getting the stick out?

Will the fuel filter do its job and protect the engine from tiny bits of stick? 

Thanks..

Amber

Edited by The Boat Studio
typo

21 minutes ago, The Boat Studio said:

Is it not a big deal then? 

Will the stick float if I fill it up? 

I wooden bank on it. 

Seriously. All things being equal it should float, but will probably be very difficult to get out even if you fill the tank unless you get lucky,and depending if you have a filler pipe connected to the tank. 

Next  time you fill it up, try a coat hanger or similar (don't drop it). 

Failing that, turn boat upside down. 

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

Don't worry about it, if you really want something to be concerned about then wind yourself up about Trump and N Korea or the rising price of liquorice ................. 

Okay! I am relieved it doesn't seem to be worth stressing about. I thought as it disintegrated it would start messing up engine. I can now go back to worrying abt world politics..

Saying that I am gonna try fill up and attempt to get it out..

3 minutes ago, The Boat Studio said:

:) I have to admit this thread has made me go from fretting that I have destroyed my boat to feeling slightly embarrassed about my dramatic post. Thanks for the humour guys.

If you haven't already twigged, we have a branch on every canal. Sorry i just cant leaf it alone. 

5 minutes ago, The Boat Studio said:

Okay! I am relieved it doesn't seem to be worth stressing about. I thought as it disintegrated it would start messing up engine. I can now go back to worrying abt world politics..

Saying that I am gonna try fill up and attempt to get it out..

You've more chance of seeing it with the low tank of fuel, field of vision of the fuels surface will be wider while peering closely in through the filler hole. Paddle the fuel towards you with a long flat stick, nail a little cross bar across the top, wider than the filler hole to stop it falling in. Fix a cross bar to a dipstick too. Once the twig has floated into view fish it out with long tweezers, or grab it between a pair of chop sticks.

31 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Don't worry about it, if you really want something to be concerned about then wind yourself up about Trump and N Korea or the rising price of liquorice ................. 

Hang on - it's a liquorice stick???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Boat Studio said:

I tried to look with a torch for it but couldn't see it.

How screwed am I?

I really think you have to find your torch to sort this problem out. Where did you leave it? Now think hard. Plan B could be to buy another one.

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Wont be much use without a torch though.

I would never suggest torching a fuel tank.... Its a bad idea Dr Bob, you should know better being a Dr. 

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Question. Once you get it in the hole, you will need to wiggle it about a bit. How are you going to do that?

I would answer, but im all out of crappy jokes for today. 

Tune in tomorrow when you'll here Dr Bob say............... "                 " 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1