HELP! I dropped a twig in my fuel tank!

Featured Posts

I think we are missing a bit of information here. First, it was a twig and then by line 1 of the original post it turned into a stick. Just how big is this said piece of wood (assuming of course it is wood)? Then there is the issue of how big the hole is. The OP is in Cardiff(?). There are no canals in Cardiff. Is this an outboard engine on a 2.4m rib or perhaps an Aircraft Carrier? It could have a bearing on the mechanism of stick withdrawal. Once we have sufficient information then I am sure Bizz will advise on a Plan A. If you leave it in the tank, it is going to drive you crazy. Everytime you go over a bump, the stick will bounce on the side of the tank and make a noise. It will drive you mad.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

I think we are missing a bit of information here. First, it was a twig and then by line 1 of the original post it turned into a stick. Just how big is this said piece of wood (assuming of course it is wood)? Then there is the issue of how big the hole is. The OP is in Cardiff(?). There are no canals in Cardiff. Is this an outboard engine on a 2.4m rib or perhaps an Aircraft Carrier? It could have a bearing on the mechanism of stick withdrawal. Once we have sufficient information then I am sure Bizz will advise on a Plan A. If you leave it in the tank, it is going to drive you crazy. Everytime you go over a bump, the stick will bounce on the side of the tank and make a noise. It will drive you mad.

Perhaps a fan could help blow it out? But what would ya call it? 

The twig will probably float on diesel, although diesel is less dense than water, because most wood has a lower density than diesel.

But what tree was it from? I think I'm right in saying that some especially dense wood such as mahogany or ebony would sink.

6 hours ago, The Boat Studio said:

I am such an idiot.

Agreed.

On the upside, I'm surprised no-one has pointed out you probably have a fuel filter in the tank-to-engine pipe. 

This would normally be fine enough to filter out twigs and sticks.

Hope that helps...

;)

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Agreed.

On the upside, I'm surprised no-one has pointed out you probably have a fuel filter in the tank-to-engine pipe. 

This would normally be fine enough to filter out twigs and sticks.

Hope that helps...

;)

Why would anyone point out what the OP already knew?  Ian.

33 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

For goodness sake, just put your tank top on and try and forget it ever happened

bestwayA2062a.jpg

Actually I'm gonna quibble here. That's not a tank top. Tank tops back in the 70s had a specific round/scoop neck rather than the classic vee neck of your knitting pattern.

Like this!

Tank-top-in-Wash-n-Wear-Double-Crepe-Sup

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

In my fuel tank was, various bits of reed lost whilst dipping tank, 2 rusty washers, a teaspoonful of rusty swarf that dropped in whilst drilling holes for various pipes, quite a lot of water, far too much sludge and a bit of diesel. I would guess that other tanks could be very nearly as bad. Luckily there is a 6" dia. inspection plate on the top of the tank that I put there from new and now there is just a tiny bit of water and quite a lot of diesel. If ever I get another boat I will put an inspection plate in the tank and if I ever get a boat built I will stand over the builder and make sure he puts one in and cleans out the tank afterwards. A drain tap in the bottom will not get rid of all the crud.

1 hour ago, Bee said:

In my fuel tank was, various bits of reed lost whilst dipping tank, 2 rusty washers, a teaspoonful of rusty swarf that dropped in whilst drilling holes for various pipes, quite a lot of water, far too much sludge and a bit of diesel. I would guess that other tanks could be very nearly as bad. Luckily there is a 6" dia. inspection plate on the top of the tank that I put there from new and now there is just a tiny bit of water and quite a lot of diesel. If ever I get another boat I will put an inspection plate in the tank and if I ever get a boat built I will stand over the builder and make sure he puts one in and cleans out the tank afterwards. A drain tap in the bottom will not get rid of all the crud.

'Xactly. Even this 'fuel polishing' twaddle makes bugger all difference to the crud in the tank. Just a way of relieving wealthy naive boat-owning manager types who never wielded a set of spanners and got grease up their arms from a small lump of their hard earned cash. Access hatches are essential.

Cynical? Moi?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Correct the spell checker interfering.

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

'Xactly. Even this 'fuel polishing' twaddle makes bugger all difference to the crude in the tank. 

It's not crude in the tank. The crude has been distilled in the refinery to give diesel.

......that editing thread was useful:giggles:

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Mtb originally typed crude, but I was too polite to mention it. 

Thank you for your discretion in not telling anyone...

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It's not crude in the tank. The crude has been distilled in the refinery to give diesel. But I know MtB is a jolly good fellow who just got tipped up by the norty spill chucker on his 'puter.

There is a whole nother dimension to post editing not mentioned in that post-editing thread!

• Haha 1