Mr. Angry of Barton Turns

noddyboater

Featured Posts

The mental elf gets blamed for all societies ills these days. He is an excuse monkey.

in the old days if you committed a crime whilst floridly psychotic you still got locked up until you were well enough to discharge, then you got supervised. Now if you have 'problems 'it explains all anti social behaviour, and you get soft words tea and sympathy. That's  why I am retired.

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I am saddened that a factual observation distresses you, albeit mildly ;)

Oh, do cheer up, the rain will stop soon (Dave doubtless hopes that it will stop play).

1 minute ago, Dave Payne said:

Oh i have tried, but i just can't watch it without falling asleep.

Then it is not dull, it is therapeutic!

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Me too. I'm with you on cricket, though, Athy. Did you happen to see the result from Chelmsford yesterday?

(Smirk)

Yes, Essex marmalised Yorkshire. I assume the smirk is a Lancastrian smirk?

....my way of handling aggressive behavior is to calmly, and without getting irate, tell them I am partly deaf in the speech range (which is 100% true) and ask them to slowly repeat what they have said, whilst I write it down in my ships log, saying it is to help me remember next time, and asking them to repeat swear words to make sure I get their message right - usually mishearing what they say. "Just a minute I will stop the engine - as I will be staying here some time.

"Sorry you will have to repeat everything and possibly spell out one a letter at a time please. ...what was that you said? - suck off? no?  sunk off? - sorry F and S all sound the same to me. I get it yes! funk off - what does that mean - is that local vernacular or custom?  

If they carry on their tirade, I say writing it down could take all day at this rate - especially if the pen runs out of ink and waiting whilst you search for another one.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

....my way of handling aggressive behavior is to calmly, and without getting irate, tell them I am partly deaf in the speech range (which is 100% true) and ask them to slowly repeat what they have said, whilst I write it down in my ships log, saying it is to help me remember next time, and asking them to repeat swear words to make sure I get their message right - usually mishearing what they say. "Just a minute I will stop the engine - as I will be staying here some time.

"Sorry you will have to repeat everything and possibly spell out one a letter at a time please. ...what was that you said? - suck off? no?  sunk off? - sorry F and S all sound the same to me. I get it yes! funk off - what does that mean - is that local vernacular or custom?  

If they carry on their tirade, I say writing it down could take all day at this rate - especially if the pen runs out of ink and waiting whilst you search for another one.

I'd say that your response might work with some aggressive people, mental health issues or otherwise, but, with others, the aggression might escalate to physical violence.

But whatever works for you :)

6 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Mental health issues may explain bad behaviour, but are not an excuse for it. In fact, it's important that the person experiences the appropriate consequences of their behaviour, such as an encounter with the police after threatening actions.

For once on this forum, I speak as a professional in this field...

One would then hope that the police would recognise the issues and either get them in the direction of support, or lock them up, dependent on their conclusions.

Having a mental health problem is never an excuse for one's behaviour.

It may be an explanation, but never an excuse.

Everybody is responsible for their actions and therefore accountable.

The outcome of Care in the Community is that we are all more likely to witness evidence of poor mental health easily and more often.  Many members of the public may feel uncomfortable about it, yet as it touches the lives of 1 in 4 of everybody, I can't imagine how to advise they should cope with that.  Sadly the alternative would be to revert back to the pre Victorian times where many families had a mad Aunt that was locked up in the attic, or in The Victorian times where we rounded them all up and herded them into bleak institutions along with criminals, alcoholics, addicts, the poor and of course let's not forget the "morally lacking" otherwise known as unmarried mothers.

For years before the current austerity Mental Health Services were the Cinderellas of NHS funding. Now it's a disaster.

I don't get anything like the support I got 18 years ago. I only stay safe because I understand the system and the language to use that services quickly comprehend and are likely to respond to.

When I am faced with someone angry or intent on causing trouble, the method I use I learnt when studying essential management techniques in industry. I talk with a low and slightly slower tone. My first question is "Excuse me I didn't catch all of that, could you say that again?" that usually takes the emotion out of their outburst. I then tell them I can see why they may be upset and what would they like me to do about that. If they don't suggest something acceptable to me I thank them but confirm I shan't be following their advice. While I walk away if threats follow I continue exiting but phone the Police.  I certainly wouldn't write things down and deliberately misunderstand everything as I value my teeth too much.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

For years before the current austerity Mental Health Services were the Cinderellas of NHS funding. Now it's a disaster.

Just think what a difference about five miles' worth of HS2 money could make to that funding.

...and, for once, I am not joking at all. Mrs. Athy has professional contact with mental health services (she's an advocate) and I hear stories of under-, or non-funding from her.