£150 fine on long term moorings

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

Going up the Ashby this weekend i spotted some signs on the lime kiln long term moorings that were not there when i went up in January, couldnt read all of it but the main text said £150 fine per night if you moor up on the moorings, CRT signs.

Just wondered why they would put these up, never really seen many boats on that mooring, always the same ones so i would hazard a guess that people mooring up who have not paid for the mooring might not be a problem.

Edited by Dave Payne

According to CRT they are needed to ensure their long term moorings are only available to permit holders. Fine applies after 48 hrs I believe and reduced to £75 if paid in 14days outsourced to a car parking co who I think are paid a retainer. The beginning of a slippery slope I fear.

We've not long had a thread about this. The signs are appearing on all the "Waterside" moorings, erected by District Enforcement to whom CRT have outsourced the job, just like the EA on the Thames. Beware, the £150 charge applies as soon as you tie there, thereby accepting the contract to moor on the terms summarised in the small print on the signs.

And no, they don't clamp your propeller, just pursue you through the County Court having got your details from CRT, you've accepted a civil contract.

It is a legal device - legally it is much easier to 'collect a mooring fee' (regardless of how extortionate it is) than it is to enforce a fine. It comes under Contract Law which is much clearer and easier to enforce than fines. Effectively this is a deterrent fine, and not really a mooring fee. 

Edited by WJM

On 31/07/2017 at 16:42, Dave Payne said:

Seems a waste of money really, did notice another logo on the sign, but at the bottom just didnt clock who it was.

Wonder if the car parking company pop out every day to check boats then...

I'd say the mechanism is a boater with a home mooring arrives back at his home mooring and can't use it because some bus-hole ignored the signs and moored there anyway. Home moorer calls CRT to complain someone has taken their £3,000 a year space, and CRT were consequently being put to a shedload of trouble contacting the offending boater and getting them to move off.

Now, CRT just have to ping the parking enforcement company who swing into action to collect their surefire £150. Easy!

• Greenie 1

These are offside paid for long term moorings and so should not be moored on. 

Visitor moorings are on the towpath side directly opposite these. It's fairly obvious which are which because they are separated by the width if the canal.

If chancers want to abuse the use of the paid for moorings then they have been informed of the penalty. 

Would not like to see this spread to far but at this particular location I don't have an issue. 

Edited by reg

So what happens if the boater who normally moors here allows his mate to moor there while he is away? Will the mate be charged £150/day?

I ask because another forum member has offered me the use of his CRT home mooring while his boat is away.

11 minutes ago, reg said:

These are offside paid for long term moorings and so should not be moored on. 

Visitor moorings are on the towpath side directly opposite these. It's fairly obvious which are which because they are separated by the width if the canal.

If chancers want to abuse the use of the paid for moorings then they have been informed of the penalty. 

Would not like to see this spread to far but at this particular location I don't have an issue. 

The ones at Gailey where I was able to read the whole notice are on the towpath side. We've seen these notices on several sites this summer.

I guess Nigel M would have something to say about whether CRT can create paid for moorings on the towpath, but no one's challenged the Llangollen ones, have they? 

Just now, David Mack said:

So what happens if the boater who normally moors here allows his mate to moor there while he is away? Will the mate be charged £150/day?

I ask because another forum member has offered me the use of his CRT home mooring while his boat is away.

If it's one of the Waterside ones with DE running them, that's exactly what could happen, AIUI.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I think he would be in breach of his contract; so maybe you would both be fined!

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

There was me thinking that CaRT had agreed that unoccupied (even unused) long term moorings could be used on the basis that they must be vacated if demanded)

Yes. Clause 3.10 in the contract IIRC. But it's at the discretion of the CRT moorings manager not the leaseholder. And vacant probably means not under contract rather than the person that holds the contract is out cruising.

I make use of the reciprocal mooring clause and it's very easy.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Whilst my previous reply was pertinent to the specific moorings at lime kiln on the Ashby on looking at the broader picture I am a bit more concerned. 

If all future mooring is to be controled by District Enforcement  then I would like to know when and if this was announced. I am unable to find any info on either the CRT site or the District Enforcement site. The closest I can find is this which relates to the EA

http://www.district-enforcement.co.uk/moorings.html

Have CRT made any announcement about the use of District Enforcement, a private car parking enforcement company.? 

If so what powers will District Enforcement have?

When we're these powers granted? 

When we're boaters informed of this change, if indeed we have been informed? 

I can envisage problems if these are to be applied to towpath side moorings as in many cases it can be difficult, mainly due to poor signage, to identify which are permanent moorings and which are temp moorings. 

Boat mooring is not like parking a car in that with a boat you have to find a gap, tie up and then wander along the towpath looking for signage to tell you the status of the moorings. E. G top of Hatton locks are these permanent now or visitor, last time I was there they were marked as long term but were never used. 

If CRT are to start applying new rules and have them enforced by a private company with no idea of the difference between mooring a narrowboat and parking a car then CRT need to spell out these plans and inform us of the private companies remit

1 hour ago, reg said:

If CRT are to start applying new rules and have them enforced by a private company with no idea of the difference between mooring a narrowboat and parking a car then CRT need to spell out these plans and inform us of the private companies remit

C&RT have now had you 'sign over' all your rights of data protection and anonymity with the clause that they can pass over all your personal details to anyone they feel has a right to know them - obviously a prelude to 'car-park enforcement'.

7.8 You agree that we may provide your relevant personal details including your contact details such as your name and address to any person ........................................

If I remember correctly it was only NABO that picked up this 'small change' during the 'discussions on the proposed new T&Cs' and wrote to C&RT raising concerns for the legality of this action.

If I remember correctly it was only NABO that picked up this 'small change' during the 'discussions on the proposed new T&Cs' and wrote to C&RT raising concerns for the legality of this action.

you are right but despite having a couple of meetings with CRT regarding this NABOs objections were noted but ignored.  We still struggle to find any legal basis for CRT to raise fines in this way. CRT like many large public and private organisations rely on the fact that it is unlikely their customers can afford to take action against them.

Does seem a poor step, not sure what problem Crt think they are dealing with or is it simply a source of income ?

Anyway it's very similar to private car parking , if you simply ignore the threats/demands then the company has to pursue you via the county court and that's a lottery for them (and costs) so they will usually give up and move on to some one who coughs up the money after a couple of threatening letters...

On 31/07/2017 at 20:08, David Mack said:

The T&Cs of my last CRT mooring said I could lend it to another boat the same length or less provided I informed CRT in advance.

(Provided I was away CCing.)

42 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The T&Cs of my last CRT mooring said I could lend it to another boat the same length or less provided I informed CRT in advance.

(Provided I was away CCing.)

I can't see anything like that in my agreement. This clause suggests the opposite;-

4.6  Your right to moor at the Mooring Site is personal to you. You cannot transfer your right to moor to any person in any circumstances. 

The clause on use of vacant moorings is 4.10 which says;-

4.10  When cruising away from the Mooring Site you may temporarily use any vacant mooring spaces available at any other mooring site managed by us with our prior written consent. You must remove your Boat from any such temporary mooring it occupies when we ask you to do so. 

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

8 hours ago, Tuscan said:

you are right but despite having a couple of meetings with CRT regarding this NABOs objections were noted but ignored.  We still struggle to find any legal basis for CRT to raise fines in this way. CRT like many large public and private organisations rely on the fact that it is unlikely their customers can afford to take action against them.

I raised in the previous thread the dubiety of the claim on the big notice that the towpath was "private property", the basis on which DE claims it can make this a purely civil matter about the right to moor on such land. I had thought that the canals were still in public ownership and vested in CRT as a creature of statute by the relevant minister.

I'd be interested to hear in due course what representations NABO makes about that in appropriate meetings and what CRT's response is, though I'm not holding my breath for CRT to back down!

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

This is common practice, is it not? It must happen thousands of times a year around the network. We, for example, lent our mooring overnight to another boater three weeks ago because we were going cruising for a couple of days and thus the mooring would be empty until our return.

Any suggestion that there is something wrong with so doing is dog-in-the-manger in the extreme.

These new signs have appeared on the offside long term moorings on the pound below Fradley Junction. Spotted them in passing, but not enough time to read them properly. An obvious place as any empty slot would look very tempting at this busy spot.

Jen

29 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

These new signs have appeared on the offside long term moorings on the pound below Fradley Junction. Spotted them in passing, but not enough time to read them properly. An obvious place as any empty slot would look very tempting at this busy spot.

Jen

Thing is, the ones on the ashby are at moorings that are always 60% empty, in the two years i have been cruising up there i have always seen the same boats, never any new ones.

There is always space on the other side at the visitor moorings as not a lot of people stay there, and i think they are 48 hour.

Signs and fancy videos promoting fishing and cycling on social media are a complete waste of money,. limited money at that.

And that stupid sign further up, either side of basin bridge wharf, telling us to slow down as its a speed check area, thats getting clipped with my back end next time i pass.

• Happy 1