Can I transit from Glasson dock to the Thames?

steve yates

Featured Posts

Why not trailer here across to the Humber, can’t be that expensive, and sail her out to the east coast then down to the Thames, there must be lots of marinas down that way to call in and even leave here for a week or so.

No need for that many marinas - sailing boats usually 'drop the hook' for the night.

Drop in the Humber

4-5 hours slow sail to Spurn Point - drop the hook (or use the mooring buoys)

10-12 hours Spurn Point to Wells Next the Sea (Marina)

Another 'good day' and you are on the Essex Coast, or, if you want to break it up a bit there is Gt. Yarmouth, or Lowestoft on the way.

When bringing the 'Cat' up the East Coast we did Brighton to Hull in 3 days / 2 nights

From what I gather elsewhere - he's got no loo at all.

He says he's got no experience little experience (post 1) but is contemplating some sort of sea journey or at least tidal where a 6hp won't get him out of trouble.

Great that there are some intrepid folks left - but sometimes....

(sorry)

Perhaps a real concern is that a small sailing boat can easily get damaged on the canal system. Unforgiving ArmCo, sharp underwater hazards, lumpy locks and most severe Other Boaters.

Read post 7 to see his experience.

Neil

No need for that many marinas - sailing boats usually 'drop the hook' for the night.

Drop in the Humber

4-5 hours slow sail to Spurn Point - drop the hook (or use the mooring buoys)

10-12 hours Spurn Point to Wells Next the Sea (Marina)

Another 'good day' and you are on the Essex Coast, or, if you want to break it up a bit there is Gt. Yarmouth, or Lowestoft on the way.

When bringing the 'Cat' up the East Coast we did Brighton to Hull in 3 days / 2 nights

I like that idea, though bethfran's passage planning speed is 3-4 knots :) But, if I go into the canal system, I fancy going the whole way then down the non tidal Thames as far up as I can get into it, thence down to the sea.

Once based in Benfleet I can explore round towards the Humber and across the channel to my hearts content. And that could be a great route back north if I want to get her back out of season.

I like that idea, though bethfran's passage planning speed is 3-4 knots smile.pngBut, if I go into the canal system, I fancy going the whole way then down the non tidal Thames as far up as I can get into it, thence down to the sea.

Once based in Benfleet I can explore round towards the Humber and across the channel to my hearts content. And that could be a great route back north if I want to get her back out of season.

A 4-5Knt tide on the Humber gives you a fair bit of help.

If you look at the North Sea Tidal Atlas you will see that you'll get a lot of help from the mouth of the Humber all the day down to the Wash, before the tide turns for the 'last bit' to Wells.

The East Coast is not ideal during the 'off season' due to the lack of 'bolt-holes' suggest if you intend North Sea sailing you get hold of the book "Tidal Havens of the Wash & Humber" In Northerlies / Easterlies (predominant during the 'off season') there is very few safe refuges.

The Suffolk coast is similarly 'poor'.

I'd concur with others that this is entirely doable.

You could do with some route info, so I'd recommend you get some Nicholson's Guides or some Pearson's Guides - these are essentially detailled maps.

In the meantime you can download the Boater's Guides from here: http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/guides They have simple maps on them and useful information.

This map gives you a reasonable overview of the system: http://narrowboatinfo.co.uk/uk-canal-map/

As far as a route goes, I'd suggest:

Lancaster ---> Ribble Link (needs pre-booking) --->Leeds & Liverpool ---> Bridgewater (not CRT but allowed passage with CRT licence) ---> Trent & Mersey ---> Middlewich Branch ---> Shropshire Union ---> BCN ---> Worcester & Birmingham ---> Stratford ---> Grand Union ---> Oxford ---> Thames.

This isn't the shortest route or the least locks but would be a lovely and interesting trip, with lots of variety (beautiful countryside, big cities, historic towns, rivers), it also keeps to mainly narrower canals which are easier for singlehanding. Including Birmingham adds locks but brings you close to petrol stations and lots of CRT showering facilities. In general there are loads of showers/toilets around the BCN, a few showers north of Birmingham, but very few showers further south

To my knowledge there isn't a definitive source of info for showers and toilets on this but a forum search may well help.

Could you squeeze a porta-potti inside your boat?

if I go into the canal system, I fancy going the whole way

Do it! If three or four days travelling over a featureless expanse of lumpy water has anything to recommend it over three or four weeks enjoying a good chunk of the canal system, it's completely lost on me. I mean, I know there's the practical side to think about in terms of timescales, locks, petrol, facilities etc., but still, if you're up for a bit of an adventure...

Oh, and speaking of practicalities - you'll need to get hold of a Canal and River Trust key (£7 from their online shop) to access sanitary stations etc.

A 4-5Knt tide on the Humber gives you a fair bit of help.

If you look at the North Sea Tidal Atlas you will see that you'll get a lot of help from the mouth of the Humber all the day down to the Wash, before the tide turns for the 'last bit' to Wells.

The East Coast is not ideal during the 'off season' due to the lack of 'bolt-holes' suggest if you intend North Sea sailing you get hold of the book "Tidal Havens of the Wash & Humber" In Northerlies / Easterlies (predominant during the 'off season') there is very few safe refuges.

The Suffolk coast is similarly 'poor'.

Thanks Alan, will do.

Looking at the maplinks you guys have posted, one thing sticks out. Going down the severn or avon to gloucester, and then back up the stroudwater canal to the upper reaches of the thames.

But it is not a solid link on the map, is this currently possible or is the canal closed or being restored?

Looking at the maplinks you guys have posted, one thing sticks out. Going down the severn or avon to gloucester, and then back up the stroudwater canal to the upper reaches of the thames.

But it is not a solid link on the map, is this currently possible or is the canal closed or being restored?

Currently under restoration but going very very slowly, by the time it opens the rest of the system will be silted up and turned into a cycleway.

.......................Dave

The Stroudwater is unrestored/unconnected.

If you went that'a'way, you could continue down to Sharpness Docks, out onto the Bristol Channel and up the Avon from Avonmouth. This leads to the Kennet and Avon Canal and then to the Thames.

Mmm, what would it be like punching upriver to bath from avonmouth? is there any tide to carry me partway up? and whats the riverflow like I would have to motor against?

Normal practice (for a narrowboat) is to go down the estuary from Sharpness on a falling tide, overnight in Portishead Marina, then take the rising tide from Avonmouth to Bristol. Bristol Docks and the Feeder Canal are non-tidal through to Netham Lock, then back onto the Avon which is partially tidal up to Hanham, and non tidal to Bath. I wouldn't have though the current from Netham to Bath should be too much of a problem.

For this trip you are advised to take a pilot between Sharpness at Portishead (although you don't have to), and you will pay at Portishead Marina, and Bristol Docks.

As the OP has a sailing boat which is much more suitable for the Severn estuary than a narrow boat, and apparently some experience at sea, my guess is that he wouldn't be interested in hiring a pilot to do Sharpness to Portishead/Bristol.

Some further reading for your trip: It's a little known alternative fact that as she lived in Bath while the K&A was being built, Jane Austen wrote a seventh novel "Bow and Stern" set against that background. If a publisher can come up with a suitably large offer for it, I'm sure I could find the manuscript six months later. It'll look as if it's been written on modern paper stained by tea, but it'll be the biggest publishing sensation since the Hitler Diaries.

Any reason why not?

Yes, I don't think I would need one. That's not doing it myself. Bethfran is a seaboat, if I can't take her down the estuary myself I shouldn't be there.

It's like going climbing and hiring a guide to take you, pointless.

Edited by steve yates

Yes, I don't think I would need one. That's not doing it myself. Bethfran is a seaboat, if I can't take her down the estuary myself I shouldn't be there.

Not if you are in the Himalayas. You asked earlier about the tide at Avonmouth. You better do some research.

I hope you make the journey by some route.

JP

Do you know anything about the Severn Estuary?

Climbing guides are available and used in many areas.

Surely charts would be the equivalent for the sea. Nobody undertakes serious sea trips without charts do they?

The problem with the Severn is that it can change every tide, sometimes dramatically, which is why the advice is to have a Pilot on board who knows the river.