Opinions on this boat please

Staarek

Featured Posts

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if you guys could help. Couple of mates of mine are looking for a widebeam to live on as continues cruisers and they found this:

http://www.boatshed.com/wide_beam_58ft_trad_stern-boat-225400.html

The boat doesn’t seem too bad in my opinion, if the owner was (as they reckon) narrowboat fitter then it’s only a good thing.
There are definitely good things about it, good size water tank (holding tank is not bad, but it’s not massive either) combination of stove + webasto, bow thruster etc. and it generally looks looked after.
On the contrary, there also things that are not so great. The headroom in the ad says 1.8m, (which is a bit low), on the other hand it’s a smaller area to warm up in the winter. The engine also seems a little bit under powered (50hp) but they are planning to stays on canals only so I suppose it should be ok.
There isn’t that much info in the ad so I thought it would be good to ask the owner the following questions:
- when was she out of the water last?
- is there a survey available?
- is there any service history available?
- what kind of insulation was used?
- what type of blacking is the hull protected with (2 pack/bitumen)?
- is the engine dry or wet exhaust?
- what is the capacity of the batteries?

Anything else you guys reckon would be worth asking?

What do you think about the boat in general?

Thanks!

On the contrary, there also things that are not so great. The headroom in the ad says 1.8m, (which is a bit low), on the other hand it’s a smaller area to warm up in the winter. The engine also seems a little bit under powered (50hp) but they are planning to stays on canals only so I suppose it should be ok. ----- MORE than adequate
There isn’t that much info in the ad so I thought it would be good to ask the owner the following questions:
- when was she out of the water last? Good Question
- is there a survey available? I would doubt it on a 2008 boat , best to commission your own prior to purchase
- is there any service history available? Useful / check oils etc yourself
- what kind of insulation was used? 2008 more than likely sprayfoam but not guaranteed
- what type of blacking is the hull protected with (2 pack/bitumen)? Advert says 2 pack
- is the engine dry or wet exhaust? I would find it unlikely it would be wet
- what is the capacity of the batteries? batterys are a service item , you can always negotiate and fit more or larger

Edited by Chris-B

On the contrary, there also things that are not so great. The headroom in the ad says 1.8m, (which is a bit low), on the other hand it’s a smaller area to warm up in the winter. The engine also seems a little bit under powered (50hp) but they are planning to stays on canals only so I suppose it should be ok. ----- MORE than adequate

- when was she out of the water last? Good Question

- is there a survey available? I would doubt it on a 2008 boat , best to commission your own prior to purchase

- is there any service history available? Useful / check oils etc yourself

- what kind of insulation was used? 2008 more than likely sprayfoam but not guaranteed

- what type of blacking is the hull protected with (2 pack/bitumen)? Advert says 2 pack

- is the engine dry or wet exhaust? I would find it unlikely it would be wet

- what is the capacity of the batteries? batterys are a service item , you can always negotiate and fit more or larger

Thanks Chris

This is my personal opinion ( I am a broker btw)

Chris

And a very experienced boater and all round good egg :-)

I am neither but it is a very ugly fore end, is it a Liverpool or similar sheIl as this might allow you to get a substantial discount INMHO

Do you also realise that your cruising range will be somewhat restricted? Although the low air draft will allow you to negotiate bridges more easily

Edited by PaddingtonBear

On the contrary, there also things that are not so great. The headroom in the ad says 1.8m, (which is a bit low), on the other hand it’s a smaller area to warm up in the winter.

Maybe OK if you are only 5ft 8" tall.

When 'you' walk you actually rise up onto your toes and become a 'couple of inches higher' than you are when you stand 'flat footed'

I am 6 foot (1.85m) and touch the roof in boats with a roof lower than 6' 3" (when walking with shoes on)

I would suggest that 1.8m (5' 10") is not 'OK' for a large proportion of the population,

The average height of a male in the UK is 5' 9" so I reckon that even an 'average' male would be banging their head when walking around the boat.

It was either built for 'midgets', or the builder 'cocked-up'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I think he meant the engine power of 50hp was more than adequate.

I did ...

As to internal height I would once again check that in person as my experience of these craft normally have a 6' min floor to deck head height

BUT no two craft are the same.....................

If the headroom really is only 180cm that would seriously put me off (even if I wasn't a few cm taller than that myself). It's a question of resale value; it can be hard enough finding a buyer who's happy with all the usual variables (layout etc.), without ruling out maybe 30% of your potential buyers because they can't comfortably stand up and walk around in it. And I'd imagine the extra width would make the ceiling feel disproportionately low.

I concur over the engine size - mine's a 50Hp but it's a NB -so overpowered on the canals (we built it for river cruising).

11 ft is a strange size for a widebeam, usually 10 or 12 ft.

Can't comment on the fit out as I refuse to be bombarded with junk emails - OK might just use a 'spare email'

Signed on

I wonder why folks take such poor videos...

I noticed a rather large rubber pipe (? 2") coming out of the front ? of the engine and what looked like a water trap or separator in another photo, plus a splash at the back in a video - so it could be a freshwater cooled boat. Nice, join the minority.

'Obviously' used on hookup in a marina with all those amp-hour guzzling appliances, even though there's a reasonably sized alternator on the engine but only 3 batteries (IIRC)

Nice fitout

Pokey rear deck - but makes better use of inside space

However, is £90k good value for and odd sized boat??

Edited by OldGoat

Thanks everyone. Yeah, the headroom worries me the most. If it's really 1.8m then the possible future resale options will be quite limited.

Regarding the wet/dry exhaust, the reason i was wondering about that is the strainer in the engine compartment...

Edited by Staarek

Thanks everyone. Yeah, the headroom worries me the most. If it's really 1.8m then the possible future resale options will be quite limited.

Regarding the wet/dry exhaust, the reason i was wondering about that is the strainer in the engine compartment...

Cant see that as I am not registered on boatshed

I dont look at any boats on boatshed.

I do not see why you should have to register for spam emails and constant pinging updates (which happens) if you want a look at a boat which someone is selling.

ABNB , RugbyBoatSales and others manage to sell lots of boats putting details and pictures available to all on the web, why does BoatShedInc feel the need to run a closed shop.??

Edited by matty40s

" points

One, Why does anyone advertise a boat somewhere that the people looking need to register.

Two. Staaker did you note where the boat is situated?

Maybe he lives / cruises North of Birmingham-Leicester so its not a problem.

But it certainly won't get 'Down-South' under its own steam.

It looks a very nice boat but for me it is neither beast nor fowl.

Its too wide for the narrow canals, but it is not really wide enough to have the benefits of being a 'real' widebeam.

The engine is directly cooled via 'canal water' and the filter can be seen in the 3rd photo from the end.

The exhaust looks to be water cooled, again it can be seen in the 3rd photo from the end.

I know its a 2008 but its not exactly 'cheap' - it could do with £1000 of solar being fitted.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thanks everyone for your help. The boat is actually not for me, couple of mates are looking into it and they would possibly transport her (by road) down south if they decide to go ahead.

I think most widebeams are pre-programmed to make their own way 'down south'. ;)

Googling the description finds it also on Apollo Duck, with a few pictures.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=497080

Headroom looks normal.

boat.jpg

{Edited as I am apparently incapable of telling one widebeam picture from another!}

Edited by Canal Cuttings

junior, on 15 Nov 2016 - 6:57 PM, said:

I'm afraid I can't comment as it's on Boatshed, which is about the most useless brokers website ever because it requires you to register to look at photos.

I thought so too - but being inquisitive, I signed up (with a faceBook Id: that I don't use. As part of the process I can select not to receive emails - again to a dummy account that I can bin at any time.

Time will tell- of course - if that was a wise move... (can always bin that address).

I get so much spam from site who say "we never pass on your address" - Yeah, in your dreams...

Venture nothing, you gain nothing!