Afraid Not (A Frayed Knot)

Featured Posts

We are on our way to Braunston, where we believe there is a workshop that will re-splice ropes.

Our bow rope has become frayed near to the 'loop' end. It would be easy enough for some expert to cut the frayed bit off, and make another loop.

Does anyone know where this workshop is?

Or,

Would it be more economical to buy a new one from a chandler? Recycling and supporting canal businesses is appealing.

Thanks for any help!

I'd be careful as once in Tradline you will just keep buying things. I popped in for an extra soft shackle and ended up with an additional centre line, 3 soft shackles and 30m of white cotton line to practice knots with. So far made an ocean plait and experimented with some crown knots.

post-14862-0-76203000-1477231540_thumb.jpg

post-14862-0-51979900-1477231606_thumb.jpg

Edit to add pictures

Edited by Rob-M

Why not just splice a new loop yourself? It's not that difficult. I splice ropes so infrequently that I have to consult a book of knots & splices every time, but there are plenty of guides on the internet. It's one of those skills that all boaters should have a go at.

Welcome back Mike.

To what might we attribute your change of heart?!

Why not just splice a new loop yourself? It's not that difficult. I splice ropes so infrequently that I have to consult a book of knots & splices every time, but there are plenty of guides on the internet. It's one of those skills that all boaters should have a go at.

I agree. A frequent question on this forum is what are the best knots to learn and there are many and varied responses but not as many suggest learning an eye splice, although it is not difficult and better than learning a variety of knots that may never be used.

Howard

I have this morning, finally managed to get a reasonable connection to my anchor chain following this video

I've also attached the side fender ropes to the brackets I made last week in the same way and they look ok too.

Here is the "Animated Knots" version of a chain splice.

http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsplice/#ScrollPoint

There are other ways of splicing rope to chain which allow for a stronger splice which entail splicing the rope up the chain links, but I think this is the simplest. However, I would keep an eye on the chafe point where the individual strands rub up against the chain link, especially when the bottom has a lot of sand which can abrade the rope quite quickly.

Howard

We are on our way to Braunston, where we believe there is a workshop that will re-splice ropes.

Our bow rope has become frayed near to the 'loop' end. It would be easy enough for some expert to cut the frayed bit off, and make another loop.

Does anyone know where this workshop is?

Or,

Would it be more economical to buy a new one from a chandler? Recycling and supporting canal businesses is appealing.

Thanks for any help!

Tradline is in the marina - which, in case you haven't been before, has some interesting historic buildings and is well worth a look round.

• Greenie 1

You should have asked us whilst going down Hatton, Gillie would have showed you how, though probably not done it for you due to the broken wrist. As several here have said, splicing is relatively easy and can be quite satisfying, but a visit to Tradline is an essential boating experience, ideally repeated every year. Note that although some of their stuff looks a bit costly it is generally of better quality than that from some big chandlers.

................Dave

• Greenie 1

You should have asked us whilst going down Hatton, Gillie would have showed you how, though probably not done it for you due to the broken wrist. As several here have said, splicing is relatively easy and can be quite satisfying, but a visit to Tradline is an essential boating experience, ideally repeated every year. Note that although some of their stuff looks a bit costly it is generally of better quality than that from some big chandlers.

................Dave

Thanks Dave! Think John and Gillie had a chat about it, and Gillie did offer, but John didn't like to take up her offer because of her splint (hope the wrist is better?). Plus we didn't have a spare rope at the time, we do now though, John's had a dig around in the engine 'ole and found a couple of spares. We were going to see the knot man (sorry forgot his name) by the 'Cape of Good Hope', he was open on Saturday, but I think we stayed by the fire all day cos of our colds. We moved on Sunday, and obviously his shop was closed. Gillie did talk about the man in Braunston.

Thank you everyone for your kind advice - I'm going to have a go! Might even post a pic! We'll certainly drop into Tradline!

The youtube looks just the job - thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much Bizzard for your offer!

Really didn't think we could do this, but your comments have give me confidence!

I'd be careful as once in Tradline you will just keep buying things. I popped in for an extra soft shackle and ended up with an additional centre line, 3 soft shackles and 30m of white cotton line to practice knots with. So far made an ocean plait and experimented with some crown knots.

I agree, it is a bit like the Uxbridge boat centre. I popped in this afternoon and bought rather more than intended (but as a consolation for not getting a proper anchor fixing point).

................Dave

If you want something that is not off the shelf you may have to wait, I ordered a Tipcat (well the old one only lasted 15 years) back in the end of June and I still haven't had a call to say its ready, we called in to see in September and was told hopefully October.

Thanks Dave! Think John and Gillie had a chat about it, and Gillie did offer, but John didn't like to take up her offer because of her splint (hope the wrist is better?). Plus we didn't have a spare rope at the time, we do now though, John's had a dig around in the engine 'ole and found a couple of spares. We were going to see the knot man (sorry forgot his name) by the 'Cape of Good Hope', he was open on Saturday, but I think we stayed by the fire all day cos of our colds. We moved on Sunday, and obviously his shop was closed. Gillie did talk about the man in Braunston.

Thank you everyone for your kind advice - I'm going to have a go! Might even post a pic! We'll certainly drop into Tradline!

The youtube looks just the job - thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much Bizzard for your offer!

Really didn't think we could do this, but your comments have give me confidence!

Might be worth saying although splicing is straightforward , attempting your first splice on an old rope can make it awkward, the rope has lost its flexibility.

Not impossible by a long shot just more difficult, anyway good luck its a very satisfying thing to do

• Greenie 1

I had a go splicing a loop, it works! Not very pretty, but it's worked"

Called in to see Tradline today, what a lovely couple that runs it! I told them about this post and how people have recommended them, they are delighted!

Bought a 'kit' which has a brochure to teach, a Swedish Fid, a length of rope, and some twine to finish off the rope ends. Was also given for free a length of three coloured rope to practice. Fantastic.... now I'm going to become an 'expert'!

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Jennifer McM

Synthetic rope ends and splice ends can be sealed much more neatly by holding thems over a flame until the end begins to melt, then immediately drop it on the ground, a hard surface like a path and roll it back and forth under the ball of your shoe. The fibres will all neatly self amalgamate. Warning!! Don't try it bare footed.

Synthetic rope ends and splice ends can be sealed much more neatly by holding thems over a flame until the end begins to melt, then immediately drop it on the ground, a hard surface like a path and roll it back and forth under the ball of your shoe. The fibres will all neatly self amalgamate. Warning!! Don't try it bare footed.

Thanks for that tip! Including the bare foot one!

Wouldn't recommend what I did to the 'melt' the ends... I held each strand over a gas flame on the hob, with a piece of wet kitchen towel at the ready to damp the melted end down and amalgamate the fibres. Result - a burnt thumb! judge.gif

Melting it outside using your system, is a much safer way. Thanks!

I had a go splicing a loop, it works! Not very pretty, but it's worked"

Called in to see Tradline today, what a lovely couple that runs it! I told them about this post and how people have recommended them, they are delighted!

Bought a 'kit' which has a brochure to teach, a Swedish Fid, a length of rope, and some twine to finish off the rope ends. Was also given for free a length of three coloured rope to practice. Fantastic.... now I'm going to become an 'expert'!

Thanks everyone!

You've started down the slippery slope, next will be a Turks Head kit, then a fender making kit. I warned you about entering in there.

I spent ages chatting there a few weeks back, may pop back in on Monday to discuss finishing off the ends of my ocean plait.

Thanks for that tip! Including the bare foot one!

Wouldn't recommend what I did to the 'melt' the ends... I held each strand over a gas flame on the hob, with a piece of wet kitchen towel at the ready to damp the melted end down and amalgamate the fibres. Result - a burnt thumb! judge.gif

Melting it outside using your system, is a much safer way. Thanks!

And old fairground-circus chap friend showed me that method years and years ago and he really knew his rope. Ropes that had to pass through sheaves and pulleys without snagging, Trapezes and such. He also told me a story when they once employed a new trapeze artist who turned out to be incontinent. This news spread rapiddley and the audiences began bringing umbrellas with them into the big top.