Permit holders only

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Sorry if this is a daft question.

We've just moored up at Hatton top lock, and we've moored on mooring rings on the towpath.

Just noticed a sign that says 'Permit holders only'! What does this mean?

It's raining, we're cold, and we don't want to start going down the locks until the morning.

These are displayed at Ansty and outside the marina at Bosworth, but i never see any boats there, i do wonder if they are no longer needed, did send a tweet to CRT about Ansty but never got a reply.

I just moor on them and if anyone comes along and needs the spot then i am prepared to move.

There is a length of long term moorings there, a certain forum member moors there. So strictly you should not moor on that part, and if I am honest I would not choose to moor exactly there, it is a bit gloomy. The first length that you come to after passing through the last bridge is visitor mooring, so you can stop there, and it is not quite as gloomy as where the long term moorings are. You have come past the nicer place to stop, between the winding hole and the last bridge that you came through, but I guess you don't want to reverse up.

Edited by john6767

Thanks Graham and David, there's just one other boat near to the lock. The area is quite deserted really.

Is it called 'Tawny Owl' by any chance?

ed to correct spelling howler.

Edited by MJG

There is a length of long term moorings there, a certain forum member moors there. So strictly you should not moor on that part, and if I am honest I would not choose to moor exactly there, it is a bit gloomy. The first length that you come to after passing through the last bridge is visitor mooring, so you can stop there, and it is not quite as gloomy as where the long term moorings are. You have come past the nicer place to stop, between the winding hole and the last bridge that you came through, but I guess you don't want to reverse up.

You've got it. As we passed the visitor mooring we got a bit peeved as people were mooring on the armco away from each other, which made it difficult to 'get the boat in'. We should have persevered!

Is it called 'Tawney Owl' by any chance?

Will look... :)

You've got it. As we passed the visitor mooring we got a bit peeved as people were mooring on the armco away from each other, which made it difficult to 'get the boat in'. We should have persevered!

Will look... smile.png

Look for it spelt correctly though (not like my first attempt wacko.png )

Will look... smile.png

Yep, there is not much space on the visitor mooring part, perhaps 3 boats, but back a bit by the winding hole is much more pleasant, but you did not know that when you passed!

I suspect it you stop behind Tawny you will be fine.

Dave Payne, post #4, makes a very valid point. There are zones posted as Permit Holders or Long Term moorings only all over the country that look deserted. If you search for them in Waterside Moorings they don't seem to exist so why not leave the rings and take the signs away?

Dave Payne, post #4, makes a very valid point. There are zones posted as Permit Holders or Long Term moorings only all over the country that look deserted. If you search for them in Waterside Moorings they don't seem to exist so why not leave the rings and take the signs away?

A never contact CRT about these as they are handy places to moor. I know a few more as well.

The long term moorings nearest to the Stop House in Braunston have about 5 boats and one large space - not vacancy, it has been withdrawn from letting.

The man who lives in the boat with the wooden wheelhouse regularly sticks laminated notices up along the fence and comes out to tell you you cant moor there as it's someone elses mooring.

Ignore him or point out that it isnt, and moor overnight anyway if there are no other moorings available

I do like winding him up, and it does.icecream.gif

I hope you have a great trip down the locks tomorrow! I find them a pleasure to use as although they are big everything works well and they are very quick to empty, so much so that they work OK on one paddle if you are working them alone. I wish I was doing Hatton tomorrow rather than going to work!

Sorry if this is a daft question.

We've just moored up at Hatton top lock, and we've moored on mooring rings on the towpath.

Just noticed a sign that says 'Permit holders only'! What does this mean?

It's raining, we're cold, and we don't want to start going down the locks until the morning.

It means from that sign back to the water point are long term moorings, and hopefully our boat is on one of them. Unfortunately, years ago some clown nicked the sign at the water point end and since then confusion has reigned

In practice, there's a lot of space and only three boats on the moorings, so don't worry about it

One thing I would say, it's much nicer if you go beyond the next bridge and out of the cutting. Our mooring is a muddy hole at the best of times

Richard

It means from that sign back to the water point are long term moorings, and hopefully our boat is on one of them. Unfortunately, years ago some clown nicked the sign at the water point end and since then confusion has reigned

In practice, there's a lot of space and only three boats on the moorings, so don't worry about it

One thing I would say, it's much nicer if you go beyond the next bridge and out of the cutting. Our mooring is a muddy hole at the best of times

Richard

Yes Richard, your boats here, safe and sound! Passed it walking the dog tonight. The spot maybe damp, but what a view from the top lock, looking down the flight! A lovely spot.

Had visions of someone banging on the deck door to evict us around midnight! I hate parking the car in an 'illegal' space too, John and I have had many arguments about his parking, even when the bumper is barely over the line. judge.gif

I hope you have a great trip down the locks tomorrow! I find them a pleasure to use as although they are big everything works well and they are very quick to empty, so much so that they work OK on one paddle if you are working them alone. I wish I was doing Hatton tomorrow rather than going to work!

Thanks Nick, really looking forward to the trip, weather forecast says the outlook is picking up! Thanks for the tip about using just one paddle. There's a notice that says to wait for another boat to double up, itho' the canal appears quiet, so hope we don't have to wait so long.

Yes Richard, your boats here, safe and sound! Passed it walking the dog tonight. The spot maybe damp, but what a view from the top lock, looking down the flight! A lovely spot.

Had visions of someone banging on the deck door to evict us around midnight! I hate parking the car in an 'illegal' space too, John and I have had many arguments about his parking, even when the bumper is barely over the line. judge.gif

Thanks Nick, really looking forward to the trip, weather forecast says the outlook is picking up! Thanks for the tip about using just one paddle. There's a notice that says to wait for another boat to double up, itho' the canal appears quiet, so hope we don't have to wait so long.

Take that as 'try to double up'. You don't have to wait hours for a boat just because you are on your own.

And that view from the lock becomes a howling gale later in the year

Richard

• Greenie 1

We're about half a mile behind you and going down Hatton tomorrow. Don't usually start till about 10 so if you wait long enough and nobody else turns up then we will.

..............Dave

• Greenie 1

We're about half a mile behind you and going down Hatton tomorrow. Don't usually start till about 10 so if you wait long enough and nobody else turns up then we will.

..............Dave

Whilst you're waiting for Dave I'd recommend you take the opportunity to have breakfast at the cafe - I think it's great.

When you get to the bottom of the locks I guess you'll want to moor up to look around Warwick.

You can either moor at the end of the Saltisford Arm or above Cape locks by the pub, which most people agree is one of the best pubs in the area.

Lots of things to see in Warwick - it's a great town just to stroll around.

The Mop Fair is on this weekend (Fri/Sat) - funfair and stalls in the Market Place, so a bit different to normal, but adds an extra dimension to the town !

Don't miss the shops in Smith Street -a great selection of independent businesses. A bit of a hike from the canal but it's worth it.

Also Hill Close Gardens - they have an 'Apple Day' event this Sunday.

If you fancy a swim this week, use the swimming pool at St Nicholas Park. The one in Leamington is closed at the moment.

• Greenie 1

Its a fairly regular journey for us as we migrate between the K&A (winters) and Birmingham and the North (summers). Probably just have a few pints in the Cape which is a good pub though a bit expensive and not quite as good as it used to be. Only doing Hatton to the Cape tomorrow as getting old and lazy and I have a cold. In the last couple of years have done the Lapworth flight in the morning and then Hatton in the afternoon and then deserved lots of pints in the Cape.

And a bit dodgy getting over that lock if you have a few too many!

..............Dave

..............Dave

Great! Thanks Dave, hope to see you later. As John B suggested, we'll prob have breakfast at the cafe. Our boat's 'Cyan'.

Thanks John B for your great suggestions! Will definitely be taking a stroll around Warwick biggrin.png

Its a fairly regular journey for us as we migrate between the K&A (winters) and Birmingham and the North (summers). Probably just have a few pints in the Cape which is a good pub though a bit expensive and not quite as good as it used to be. Only doing Hatton to the Cape tomorrow as getting old and lazy and I have a cold. In the last couple of years have done the Lapworth flight in the morning and then Hatton in the afternoon and then deserved lots of pints in the Cape.

And a bit dodgy getting over that lock if you have a few too many!

..............Dave

You on your way back?

Come and see our new Armco!blush.png