I used an Elsan for the first time today...

Ben69

Featured Posts

In short I would empty a little in, gag, regain composure outside, flush loo and repeat

I guess you could hope that some other poor soul wants to use the facility next and does the job for you just to get you out of the way!

MP.

There is a similar anti-glug button on an ordinary Porta Potti 165 cassette. It's not yellow though, and it isn't a non-return valve. When pressed it as as capable of passing liquid out as letting air in, so press it with care.

Same on my 365, I don't press it. Just begin by pouring gently at a shallow angle so it doesn't glug.

Edited by bizzard

Never had a problem point nozzle, depress anti glug button and pour, flush out cassette, empty and job done, 2 or 3 mins max.

Mind you I used to enjoy rodding out drains

Phil

Edit for spill chucker

There is an anti glug button? (Or did you mean anti gag button!? ?)

There is a similar anti-glug button on an ordinary Porta Potti 165 cassette. It's not yellow though, and it isn't a non-return valve. When pressed it as as capable of passing liquid out as letting air in, so press it with care.

The one on the Thetford C200 cassette is not a one way valve either, you hold it down and it just opens the valve, so you don't press it until you are tipping the cassette.

This is the one thing that I have ummed and ahhed about most on my liveaboard research, to pump or not to pump.

I much prefer the idea of a pump out but I can see the convenience of not having to move the boat every time to empty or the problems you will have if you need to empty for any reason buit can't!

This is the one thing that I have ummed and ahhed about most on my liveaboard research, to pump or not to pump.

I much prefer the idea of a pump out but I can see the convenience of not having to move the boat every time to empty or the problems you will have if you need to empty for any reason buit can't!

It's not an either or -- there's a third way. Go composting.

Only had a problem once with a cassette toilet, that was in my caravan. Always check there is no one on it when you pull the cassette out, guess how I know this.

Or that they definitely know you have taken it out before they use it.......guess how I know that!!

I quite fancy an incinerating toilet.

Or a freezing one (the outhouse )

And there is even a portable toilet which automatically wraps the waste so it can be put in domestic rubbish.

Apparently it is OK to put excreta in standard rubbish. I was a bit shocked to read that :huh:

I have been working on a freeze-mortar type boat toilet but I don't think the idea will take off because it is crap.

Edited by magnetman

Always Elsan Blue - I can't recall ever trying any other type, though.

I'm sure your old enough to remember the original Elsanol. Popular in remote cottages, it seemed similar to creosote. Unlike the new Elsan blue, I believe it promoted breaking down of the matter and incorporated an oily film which helped(?) seal the contents beneath, in the galvanised bucket.

388489.jpg

This is the deluxe version with the rally lid.

I'm sure your old enough to remember the original Elsanol. Popular in remote cottages, it seemed similar to creosote. Unlike the new Elsan blue, I believe it promoted breaking down of the matter and incorporated an oily film which helped(?) seal the contents beneath, in the galvanised bucket.

388489.jpg

This is the deluxe version with the rally lid.

These are excellent. Big and buoyant enough to use as a lifeboat if your boat sinks. Just sit on it and paddle away with the loo brush until safety. is reached.

Good looking unit. My first bog on a boat (1994) was a plastic ElSan thing which looked like that.

They have excellent holding capacity.

A little bit basic for the ladies though.

Edited by magnetman

I started it.

Coasty once suggested I'd forgotten to put the dose of blue in when she emptied a cassette which utterly stank. I took exception to this as I'm, err, anal about the dosing of cassettes.

On reading the instructions on the AquaKem bottle it says it works for up to five days, or something similar.

What make of 'bloo' do you use?

Speeling edit.

Yes and one time I went for a wee and you thought I had done a big stinky poo because it stank so much from stirring up the contents that had been sitting for weeks.

Ahh, boaters. We are SPECIAL.

Good looking unit. My first bog on a boat (1994) was a plastic ElSan thing which looked like that.

They have excellent holding capacity.

A little bit basic for the ladies though.

You can still get them. Looks like a VERY expensive bucket.

What were you doing taking it into a busy chandlery?!

I wasn't going to ask.......

maybe it was faulty and he was after an exchange or refund??