42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

Starcoaster used to say stuff like that.

But I explained that a boat without spiders wasn't a boat at all, and a boater who can't cope with spiders will have to sell the boat and move back on the bank.

Strangely and impressively, the desire to live on a boat trumped the irrational fear of spiders. That and me pointing out there weren't any really BIG spiders on her bote. (I lied...)

Why hasn't she made you sleep on the roof after saying that ohmy.png

I'm sending the cats in first before i put my things in there. Place is going to be a spider free zone (I've talked to CRT). You lot are the worst cheer team ever!

and i've reported everyone who has mentioned spiders to a responsible adult tongue.png

Found the first owners advert and pics on mels. He was always blue :) back in ye olde day

http://www.tarncourt.co.uk/waterways/melsboats/waterorchid/index.htm

lNoXVWH.png

afZR018.png

The fitted bits look nice inside

vJSoxPh.png

dJzgauQ.png

Specs from original seller

K5J0ZIB.png

Thank you to all the nice respectable people who didn't mention the 'S' word wub.png

Thank you. I've been practicing waving a cuttlefish and going 'Toot Toot'

Ignore this bit

Have no home mooring

Can't swim

Haven't made plans for winter

Never done proper Narrowboating or those locks by myself (i did help once)

Mortal fear of spiders

Get a icky feeling when i think about what i have done :(

How will i get my Amazon cat food!

1. Enjoy the towpath

2. Don't fall in

3. Winter moorings don't come online til october, but you can view the locations now.

4. You'll learn

5. The cats will eat the spiders

6. Like a first date?

7. P&H and most pet stores do wellbeloved.

It is said that leaving a container of chestnuts discourages spiders. Don't know if it is true but it gives a reason fro collecting chestnuts :-)

haggis

It's an old boatwoman's tale. It doesn't work. I tried it.

Hung bags of chestnuts around the boat and a week later, no difference. Boat still full of spiders. Mostly in the chestnut bags.

Hang on though, I might have used conkers...

I wasn't expecting to meet a normal person (thought it would be some salty old seadog) you were extremely nice to me

and oh so helpful. I'd of never of thought a Narrowboat needed so much equipment and what it takes to keep them going.

Not sure where i will lurk just yet. Seems nice up there though

Besides according to the internet all NBers have sophisticated tastes (and like Star Wars) smile.png

Did you notice my Han Solo in Carbonite shower curtain? A must for all discerning boaters.

• Greenie 1

Not sure about conkers scaring off spiders, but perhaps sweet chestnuts do. Here in the Limousin it is said that the sweet chestnut floors etc do not get wormed, so perhaps the timber, and thus also the fruit, deters insects?

Congratulations on the boat btw.

Just practice your boat handling skills and learn how to maintain the engine and mechanical bits...it's easy, honest.

How do spiders get onto boats? Boats are surrounded by water and they don't smell like Marmite.

WHY?

They parachute on. Baby spiders spin out threads of gossamer which catch the wind and blow them over the water onto your boat. Then they search for tins of spider food and set up an encampment. Then they grow up into quarter pound monsters and have babies of their own which really LIKE it in warm dry boats so they all stay on board. Eventually you get overrun with them in my experience and have to compete for your own space.

Hope that helps...

They parachute on. Baby spiders spin out threads of gossamer which catch the wind and blow them over the water onto your boat. Then they search for tins of spider food and set up an encampment. Then they grow up into quarter pound monsters and have babies of their own which really LIKE it in warm dry boats so they all stay on board. Eventually you get overrun with them in my experience and have to compete for your own space.

Hope that helps...

You total ...........

(Goes back on Amazon to order waterproof sheets) I hope your soufflé sinks :(

I'm getting a emergency tent

Mike, speaking as a confirmed and lifelong arachnophobe, you are NOT making any friends around here.......

( I durn't care 'ow it's spelt, I knows what I mean).

The rest of your posts are very insightful and useful....keep up the good work.

Miss Max, welcome to the world of boating and well done for taking the plunge, I doubt very much you'll regret it.

You total ...........

(Goes back on Amazon to order waterproof sheets) I hope your soufflé sinks sad.png

I'm getting a emergency tent

Glad to be of help. There's no better way of facing up to arachnophobia and deciding its all in the mind and can be dismissed, than sinking thousands of squids into buying a boat. Ask Starcoaster!!

(Dammit I can't find a spider dangling on a thread emojie!)

SWMBO developed her arachnophobia when we lived in Oman and the house was infested by camel spiders that moved in when the builders disturbed the sandy ground next door.

if you don't know about the habits and size of the camel spider, try googling it.

PS they don't crawl, they scuttle like a mouse ............... ARGGHHHHH !!

We find that if there are lots of spiders they soon sort themselves out and you end up with one or two huge ones clapping.gif Our really big one lives in the engine hole under the bilge pump, his (or her, probably a her given the size) legs often stick out all around so must be at least 3 inches across. Never see any other insects in there so he/she must be having a good old feast. At least the big ones do not seem to leave bits of web everywhere to walk into, I think they just jump on other things and eat them rather than setting traps.

Don't worry, the spiders are seasonal and the season is just coming to an end (August to July). Next it is the earwigs - every rope knot will have 3 - 4 earwigs in it. Did you know that earwigs can fly? They don't like to so that they don't do it much, but they can if they really want to.