Narrow Boat Edgware at Nether Heyford

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Many will be familiar with the derelict pair Edgware and Balham moored for many years near Nether Heyford.

Recently the pair have been singled out, moored one in front of the other, rather than breasted up.

As we came past yesterday, Edgware was opened up, and a toolbox was on the tow-path. I could have been persuaded that someone was actually trying to get it running. (It has a Lister, so it may well! :lol)

I have always understood these boats are firmly "not for sale", but am wondering if the owner has had a change of heart.

Does anybody know anything, please?

Incidentally the butty Balham has always looked to me in quite good trim, despite outward appearances. It seems to have been fully re-footed and re-bottomed recently enough that it all looks quiet sound, and has a steel cabin, and all front and rear bits that would once have been wood well reworked in steel. OK the gunwales on the hold are still wood, and quite shot, but the rest of it, I reckon may not be a bad butty.

I don't need a butty........

I was told a while back that the only reason the owner had them was to stop other people mooring outside the house. How true that is I dont know.

Well that is a reasonable assumption, except they have never really been truly outside the house. If he had genuinely wanted to occupy as much tow-path as possible, why keep them breasted up? Just one of them would have achieved as much!

There was also a "modern" build tug style boat called "Hawk" moored there, and that was more outside the house. Although not derelict like the others, it showed little sign of being used/moved. That has not been there for some months now, but I have not spotted it elsewhere.

It would be great to see this pair "liberated" by somebody, wouldn't it?

Don't be silly. Of COURSE you do.

How you can manage with just two boats is beyond me. I'm totally expecting you to be fully buttied up within the year.

Just sayin', like... :D

One of the few large Woolwich's which didn't have the extra guard fitted under the first strake of the bow.

Yes,

I'm never quite sure how many there are like that, but can immediately think of Bath and Bilster as two others not having them.

And I thought the cabin looked a bit ropey from the canal side! aghast.gif

Yes, but the inverted tin can over the range chimney collar is not in bad condition.......

Now you have added a pic i did see these look nice did picture them as went past for my dad.

Off topic there is a nice boat shop not far from there near a lock got a cracking deal on my water cans!

Possible coc work going on they have always been licenced and moored on his length. When we resided at hey ford 1989 ish the word was they were there to prevent casual mooring and fishists as he rents much of the towpath . House is immaculate... So rumour may be true

Surely a couple of cheap snotters would be a better plan than these two?

I guess they will still command more than a similarly neglected springer?

The last 5 years haven't been kind to Edgeware. It's that long since I've been by - although I have a feeling the butty may have been on the bottom then?

Surely a couple of cheap snotters would be a better plan than these two?

I guess they will still command more than a similarly neglected springer?

The last 5 years haven't been kind to Edgeware. It's that long since I've been by - although I have a feeling the butty may have been on the bottom then?

This is the first time I have seen them in separate spaces in 10 years. It is a damn shame they have been left to rot as they have, but I have never seen either on the bottom.

I came past 3 weeks ago after they were separated, and the tug had moved. there was spouting water coming from the canalbank where the tug is usually moored. Not sure whether this was from a pond or the house bilges being emptied.

My Godparents Albert & Sissy Sibley had a boat Edgware when it was paired with Purley .

I have been told this may have been the pair they trained Eily Gayford on,

will have to dig out & read Amateur Boatwomen,

I would be interested to know if this is the same Edgware

Edited by jeannette smith harrison

A new term on me. Does it mean scruffy boats?

Scruffy anything, as in 'my mates got a new van, it's an absolute snotter'

This is the first time I have seen them in separate spaces in 10 years. It is a damn shame they have been left to rot as they have, but I have never seen either on the bottom.

I came past 3 weeks ago after they were separated, and the tug had moved. there was spouting water coming from the canalbank where the tug is usually moored. Not sure whether this was from a pond or the house bilges being emptied.

My mind may be playing tricks on me, I may have a few pics from a trip to Napton we made on my mates boat that could have been around 2009. I know I didn't take many pictures when we were up that way in 2011.

Will try to hunt them out.

Edited by gazza

My Godparents Albert & Sissy Sibley had a boat Edgware when it was paired with Purley .

I have been told this may have been the pair they trained Eily Gayford on,

will have to dig out & read Amateur Boatwomen,

I would be interested to know if this is the same Edgware

Yes, page 55 mentions the Sibleys had EDGEWARE & PURLEY. Mr. & Mrs. Albert Sibley stayed on the butty, while Eily & Molly went on the motor. It's almost certain this is the same EDGEWARE.

• Greenie 1

Yes, page 55 mentions the Sibleys had EDGEWARE & PURLEY. Mr. & Mrs. Albert Sibley stayed on the butty, while Eily & Molly went on the motor. It's almost certain this is the same EDGEWARE.

Interesting that "Amateur Boatwoman" uses the incorrect spelling of the place name - Edgeware rather than Edgware.

Whilst we know that the place names on some of the GUCCCo boats were wrongly spelt from the outset, IIRC Pete Harrison has suggested that Edgware was correctly named up until disposal by British Waterways in the late 1960s, only receiving the incorrect Edgeware spelling thereafter. (I think I may have a photo of it when in Union Canal Carriers livery, though I'm not sure if the name can be seen).

So is the fact that Eily Gayford's book uses the wrong spelling pure coincidence, or is it perhaps because by the time the book was published the boat now carried the incorrect spelling?

My use of the "Edgware" spelling in the title was deliberate, because, rightly or wrongly, I thought that was the correct original naming. If I'm wrong, I am happy to be put right!

Either way - its sounds the same. Even TRIAGULUM sounds the same as triangulum, not enough to make any difference . . .

"You say its Son, and I'll paint it . . . "

(Apologies to Mr Shifter).

Edited by Derek R.