Narrow Boat Edgware at Nether Heyford

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Interesting that "Amateur Boatwoman" uses the incorrect spelling of the place name - Edgeware rather than Edgware.

My use of the "Edgware" spelling in the title was deliberate, because, rightly or wrongly, I thought that was the correct original naming. If I'm wrong, I am happy to be put right!

I have wondered about 'Antartic', which I assume is a former icebreaker. Has she been mislettered, or is she just flexible?

That just highlights a bad memory - mine. Must have been post '87 then.

No excuse for the grey cells deteriorating, taken by me in the late eighties. Outside UCC at Braunston, and after at a Christmas gathering (or on the way to one) at Long Buckby:

post-5975-0-77255700-1469856862_thumb.jpg

post-5975-0-90448300-1469856909_thumb.jpg

I have none of EDGEWARE.

Edited by Derek R.

I remember in the first few years they and the modern tug were immaculate, but time has not been kind to them.it was always sad two pairs of unconverted Guccc boats moored within a 2 mile stretch gradually deteriorating.. However you have to bear in mind neglect of grand Union boats has long been an issue, given they were built as the ford transit of their day. Just lifted floorboards in back cabin on ours discovering 15 mm steel plate slapped on by the board in the 1960s to act as engine beds, roughly the same as patching up the sills on an old ford to get another year ( mind you its lasted better) no wonder she is a bit heavy..

Thank you Derek they would have had plenty of room for the Girls as Albert & Sissy where never able to have Children of their own.

They did adopt in the Boatmans fashion Uncle Billy .Some on here would have known him as Billy Brown off the Hanwell thicket who married Dolly Dakin

Yes, page 55 mentions the Sibleys had EDGEWARE & PURLEY. Mr. & Mrs. Albert Sibley stayed on the butty, while Eily & Molly went on the motor. It's almost certain this is the same EDGEWARE.