* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

If your engine only has an electric stop solenoid it's quite easy to add a cable for manual operation like a car choke cable. Position it where it can be operated in case of an engine fire (which might burn the electric wiring and stop the solenoid working). I've done this mod to a few boats and it was cheap to do.

Presumably, if you pulled the 'choke' out when leaving the boat, would that prevent the engine from starting?

That might be a simple and cheap way of disabling the engine if you concealed the 'choke' lever so it wouldn't be obvious.

Ken

• Greenie 1

Ah, OK. It did seem a bit too simple to be a practical disabling device.

Ken

I've just thought of a "Bizzard" type device.

Next time your boat is out of the water drill a wine bottle cork size hole in the base plate.

Empty the wine bottle contents into oneself and dispose of bottle at a re cycling centre

Fit the cork in the hole with some string through it. Tie the other end of the string to the crank shaft pulley wheel.

When the crim starts the engine the plug is pulled out and said crim won't get very far.

Now what could possibly go wrong?

ninja.gif

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Any way of separating all the stuff about disabling engines from this thread? I keep looking back every few hours in the hope of seeing some info or an update relating to the boat theft. Instead we have pages and pages of discussion about immobilisers, trackers and disabling engines.

• Greenie 1

Any way of separating all the stuff about disabling engines from this thread? I keep looking back every few hours in the hope of seeing some info or an update relating to the boat theft. Instead we have pages and pages of discussion about immobilisers, trackers and disabling engines.

Boat has been recovered and G&G told not to post, so we have to move on and discuss ways to stop other boats being stolen. There probably won't be any news that interests you for months! Sorry.icecream.gif Plus, it would be quite a lot of work for mods to move them.

I can't actually recall seeing anything that confirms anybody has been apprehended.

But it is now a very long thread, with an increasing number of totally spurious posts appearing, so maybe I missed it.

Can you find the actual post that confirms person or persons was caught?

Ok I've found it. The post is not on here but on facebook, posted by a well known member here, in one of the closed FB boating groups:

"*****STOLEN BOAT UPDATE*****

It seems they have caught the thieves and there will be a court case.

how brill is that i'm glad they caught the bastids.!"

They will almost certainly see this and hopefully will be in a position to expand on why they said this.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Right ho, chaps.

Having been made aware that one or two are wishing to split the boat security posts from the Stolen Boat topic I am going to attempt a split. After doing a few I will get bored and have a break but the new split topic will exist in the GB forum (not pinned) and will be called Boat Security and Prevention of Theft. Please keep this topic for Stolen Boat discussion. Anyone posting security stuff here will get a Hard Stare and will annoy me.

Theo.

That does sound quite a cheeky way to steal a car. Stealing a 50 foot narrowboat in broad daylight in front of fellow boat owners has to be more risky than a stealing a car from someone's drive when they are not in.

I see the incident has got lots of people on the forum worried about security. May I ask whether you are considering any security updates to your boat?

If we had a boat, no, other than ensuring we had decent locks on all doors and possibly an additional hidden fuel cock.

Hi, still unable to post, agony! No one has been arrested, as far as we know. Enquiries are on going. We are watching the posts. another security measure, having your windows marked with your license number? Missing saying thank you all the time, so thank you everyone!

Thanks for keeping us updated as much as you are able. Hoping you get to enjoy your boat again soon.

Cheers

Gareth

Just seen this on Facebook.

" It seems they have caught the thieves and there will be a court case. How brill is that I'm glad they caught the b*****ds. It was a man 35-40, a woman, and a younger man. Woohoo - moral: don't mess with boaters! "

Thanks to Maisie ******* for the update

" It seems they have caught the thieves and there will be a court case. How brill is that I'm glad they caught the b*****ds. It was a man 35-40, a woman, and a younger man. Woohoo - moral: don't mess with boaters! "

How much of this is from a reliable source?, do we know?

Facebook is notorious for cultivating mis information propagated by third hand hearsay.

The same was posted yesterday and Chris and Graham confirmed that as far as they know, nobody has been arrested. So this is almost certainly untrue.

• Greenie 1

That sounds a lot like the details of the photograph (was it Annie who took it?) - which turned out to have been of the owners and the loss adjuster at the boat before we knew it had been found.

That sounds a lot like the details of the photograph (was it Annie who took it?) - which turned out to have been of the owners and the loss adjuster at the boat before we knew it had been found.

See post 1761.

This was posted on facebook by a prominent member here, who I would have expected to have known this already.

I'm hoping they will post here soon and expand on where they got this information from, as their posts are usually reliable and accurate.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

See post 1761.

This was posted on facebook by a prominent member here, who I would have expected to have known this already.

I'm hoping they will post here soon and expand on where they got this information from, as their posts are usually reliable and accurate.

Probably read it via Google...like a lot of the ' prominent' members here!

See post 1761.

So that would mean the owners don't know but somebody else on Facebook apparently does?

Mmmmm......