* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

We have just been contacted by the BBC from your area and they have asked us to send them photographs of the boat, but We think he felt it was not quite news worthy enough, but he is going to see what he can do to publicise it, so well done for this!

To be honest I think what the BBC are missing in terms of 'newsworthiness' is the ongoing co-ordinated search across a virtual on line waterways community. He is just looking at it from the point of view of something being stolen which is hardly a remarkable event in this day and age.

If nothing else it may scare the thief into abandoning the boat somewhere if he sees that but the other spin off of course is publicity about your stolen boat

Edited by MJG

Are the BBC aware of the Chilton theft? That might add to the newsworthiness. As MJG says, there's also the 'community coming together to help with the search' angle. The whole idea of making a getaway at 4 miles an hour, and being restricted to the waterways, also makes the theft of a narrowboat inherently more interesting than the theft of a road vehicle - maybe the angle is just 'how can this boat simply have disappeared'?

I also checked at Charity dock, there was a boat in the poly tunnel but no the one in question, also checked the boats on moorings and in the little marina at bridge 5.

I shall be moving down the ashby monday so ill keep an eye out, although i think by now its moving away from the area.

I know a canal boater who is part of the BBC news team.... I'll alert him to the story in case he can get it embedded in the reporting. I am thinking like most ' what would I do if I was desperate for a boat , where would I take it what would I do to it...." In my area the T&M I would get it off the main through routes so it would be the Caldon or the Erewash or the Ashby .... The Ashby has been checked anyone on or planning the Erewash or the Caldon/Leek arm ?

Hi we spoke to a Giles Taylor from the BBC and did not mention the other theft, would it be worth us contacting them again, sorry if we did not make enough of this. We are coming back late afternoon, so will be on the walk and we can identify the boat when it is found! Thanks again all of you we will be at Mercia first thing, not sure what time this all kicks off and where we will be located in the search. but do introduce yourselves if any of you are there, you all seem to have done so much already, So do not expect more. Keep your fingers crossed though!

We have just been contacted by the BBC from your area and they have asked us to send them photographs of the boat, but We think he felt it was not quite news worthy enough, but he is going to see what he can do to publicise it, so well done for this!

I hope you didn't mind me going to the Beeb...

The drawback of TV coverage may be if they advertise the fact that there are lots of boats left for long periods, and that are relatively easy to get into and start.

I would think it most likely that it a boater will spot the unusual stern than a non boater. I suppose that if we can recruit cyclists and walkers however, it will increase significantly the number of people looking.

Do you realise how many of us there are?

The drawback of TV coverage may be if they advertise the fact that there are lots of boats left for long periods, and that are relatively easy to get into and start.

That's a somewhat defeatist stance, I think. You might as well say that a report of a car theft on a T.V. crime-watching programme reminds people that you can get into someone else's car if you try hard enough.

Edited by Athy

Press release-

Boaters unite across the internet to locate Stolen Narrowboat!

Hundreds of boaters have come together over the internet to try and locate a stolen Narrowboat which was stolen from Mercia Marina near Derby up to two weeks ago. The result is a mammoth effort involving boaters walking tow paths and driving to or cruising the canal network looking for the boat which is the pride and joy of owners Graham & Chris xxxxxxx. The search is being co-odrinated using Internet forums and Facebook groups to ensure as many boaters possible are involved in the search. The distinctive boat which is <insert description> was taken by somebody who said he was acting on behalf of the owners and was taking the boat to have repairs done when in fact he was stealing the boat. This follows a similar boat theft in the area with that boat being found later following similar concerted efforts by fellow boaters.

Chris and Graham the boat owners said " we are gobsmacked at the response we have had from boaters all over the canal and river system, we are overwhelmed by how people who we have never met have been willing to put themselves out of the way to help us locate our lovely boat, we can't thank people enough and hope their efforts lead to the recovery of our boat. This truly shows the value of being a member of the boating community"

Anybody with any information about the theft should contact Derbyshire police on xxxxxxx quoting crime number xxxxxxxxx

Ends.

Editors note - Graham and Chris xxxxxxxx the boat owners are happy to be contacted for any further information, they can be contacted on xxxxxx

Edited by MJG

That is good news. Do the recent posts about facing Snaresbrook on the Ashby suggest the boat may be hidden somewhere up there?

We just wish we had stayed in the area instead of trying to concentrate on posting to boatyards etc. Incidentally, we have had a thought about firms who crane narrow oats, is there any that come to mind that we may approach with a flier? Again, thank you for all your posts one and all, we are reading them all, but there has been so many that we have not been able to reply to each one of you individually, but all your thoughts and ideas are noted and being acted on,

This "clad" boat on the Ashby did not fit the description. We were suspicious of it but the window formation was different & it was an older boat. We passed it moored past Shackerstone yesterday.

Edited by nellieD

Have you seen the report on the facebook page for this forum of a black painted boat seen on the Great Ouse at Godmanchester?

"Tuesday 26th?? looking at the planner 13days at 7hrs a day so if it was stolen on the 9th and cruised 12hrs aday could well be a possible. You said about the back-end cause it looked odd and the boat looking like a dodgy paint job" and "Like i said it looked stolen as it went passed ". There is more but these quotes give the essence of it.

Excellent. Is that your doing, or are you quoting from someone else?

Thanks - no that is just written by me it's up to the owners if they use it, I would email/fax it it to local and national new outlets, somebody may just pick it up.

(Part of my job was to write similar at work though the context was different obviously)

Is there a poster or pdf I could share online? Im a member of a few groups in the midlands who are regular towpath users and could keep an eye open while round and about. Mainly BCN if its likely to have headed into the wilds of that area?