* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

Hi all

Yes we agree that is odd dumping the plates, but it was finding the dumped plates that let to the Chilton being found just 5 cruising miles from where the boat had been taken from, just past Great Heywood on the Staff and Worcs canal. Even though the boat had been missing for at least three weeks. all very strange, not sure what sort of person we are dealing with! The plot thickens.

One thought we have had is he may have a hide away place, but with access to a car, or maybe bike which also may be near where the boat was found?

Get looking in the hedges or any ditches about the place. Note piles of rubbish or sanding disks/ paint or thinners,

Note signs of disturbance in remote locations, fag butts in the middle of knowhere and and tinned or packet food stuffs around where there are no boats/ roads or lit areas.

Note all things out of place or not explained or even start looking in skips or crt rubbish disposal areas.

The odd pot or ornament discarded would give a clue

• Greenie 1

We have shared this on Willowbridge Marinas facebook page, which has already reached several hundred people.

I will display the flyer in the office also. I will check when we crane if any have this stern deck.

Good luck with your hunt, hope you find the culprit

• Greenie 1

I don't want to complicate the picture by playing armchair detective, but does this business of the plates being dumped in a (presumably?) clearly visible place strike anyone else as odd? Why not just drop them in the canal if you don't want them to be found? Could this be an attempt to lay a false trail?

Leaving the plates where they could be found easily sounds like a distraction technique. Get your mate in a car to drop them off on a different canal.

They were not dumped in a clearly visible place, they were stuffed into the bottom of the hedge, it's only because I'm a bit anal about litter that I noticed them in the first place.

• Greenie 2

We no longer have a boat - sold it this time last year. However I have been following this thread, and also the Chilcot thread. I didn't realise that Chilcot had been missing so long before it was found, and it seems that both boats were taken at a similar time. Chris & Graham - please don't beat yourself up about talking to the chap at Fradley, we often met people who would say -lovely boat, do you live on it? No -we would reply, just weekends or two or three weeks in the Summer, we live in Wiltshire, but moor at Kings Bromley, or Mercia (we have moored at both). At times we even invited people aboard and took them for a mile or so down the cut, on the understanding they would walk back. - were we stupid? I like to think not. However, we used to moor on the K & A with our first boat at Hilperton (then Wessex Marina), then at Frouds Bridge. When I got fed up of the K& A we moved to the Trent and Mersey, It only took two weeks of leisurely cruising to get from Frouds Bridge to Mercia Marina. Tomorrow my husband and I are going to Banbury (day out) I will take the fliers with me and walk the canal there and also keep a look out for the boat. On Saturday we will go to Devizes and hand our fliers to boats on the Caen Hill flight so getting boats going east and west. This boat will be found, there are too many people looking for it, for it to disappear forever. I really feel for you Chris and Graham, but you will get your boat back. Please people don't be put off from mooring at either Mercia or Kings Bromley they are both great marinas

Denise

• Greenie 2

Dear All

Thank you all so much for distributing the flier about our boat. We really do appreciate this and all you support, thank you for your words Denise!

We are targeting the boatyards today, any suggestions, thoughts etc would be very helpful. The bar stool found is not ours. We have our own wine with labels 'Days of whine and roses' should you notice bottles anywhere?

Dear All, these details of the boat stolen from Kings Bromley end of June, beginning of July before our boat was taken. It may help or jog memories. We feel this man may well be the one who has our boat.
" Our boat, which was stolen from Kings Bromley Marina, was eventually found by Milford Bridge – bridge 105 on the Staffs and Worcs, about 2 miles west of Great Haywood Junction – and facing towards Great Haywood. It had originally been spotted 5 days earlier just north of Penkridge, only about 7 miles from where it was actually found. The implication appears to be that it had stayed in the local area after being stolen – when it was found, it was just 5 hours cruising from our home base despite being missing for at least 3 weeks."

Has a map been marked with the stretches of canal that have been searched out from the marina? and also showing the plate find spot? if not it might make it easier at a glance for people to check stretches. if i knew where hasnt been looked i could go and bike a good stretch.

Has a map been marked with the stretches of canal that have been searched out from the marina? and also showing the plate find spot? if not it might make it easier at a glance for people to check stretches. if i knew where hasnt been looked i could go and bike a good stretch.

We are working on it.

It will help but not be conclusive. One person searching sees different things from another and the boat may have been disguised and may be on the move.

Edited by Yank on the Cut

We are working on it.

It will help but not be conclusive. One person searching sees different things from another and the boat may have been disguised and may be on the move.

it might just help to save the same stretches been constantly looked over and prompt new areas to be looked at, if you do produce a map please let me have one even if you pm me - i was also thinking the theif might be logging on here and other sites to check on whats been said,

I believe there is a "Suspect" for the Chilcot theft. If the two are linked, it may be worth finding out what is said suspects home/operating area. This could narrow down the likely area he will be operating in.

Edited by johnmck

We are working on it.

Indeed! It occurs to me that simply putting a canvas "skirt" round that distinctive stern could quite effectively conceal the major feature which people are looking out for.

I have been to staples and have had 60 copy's of the find my boat done in A4 size and will be distributing them tonight in Loughborough and tommorrow on the ashby canal

I have been to staples and have had 60 copy's of the find my boat done in A4 size and will be distributing them tonight in Loughborough and tommorrow on the ashby canal

The annoying part for me is the potential sighting up the ashby Tuesday, then plates found at Hartshill Thursday, were the plates dumped before Tuesday on the way to the ashby or after tuesday on the way to atherstone......

Travelling at night is a strong possibilty so anyone around this area needs to vigilant of boats moving in the night.

Indeed! It occurs to me that simply putting a canvas "skirt" round that distinctive stern could quite effectively conceal the major feature which people are looking out for.

Yes, and that could lead to problems. "Would you mind lifting your skirt so that I can carry out an inspection?"

The boat's appearance must have been significantly altered; otherwise, with the intense searches which have been done, it would surely have been found before now.

Thank you all for what you are doing to help us, thank you painterlady for going to the expense and trouble to have 60 of our fliers printed!

I have emailed all boat moorings and more with our flier, on the Ashby, Birmingham and Fazely, Coventry, Oxford, Trent and Mersea, so far. Will keep going sending to other canal moorings and services today.

Perhaps today she will be sighted, fingers crossed.