* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

Might be worth contacting local cycling clubs. If they have an off road section they might cycle the tow paths as a club run. At this time of year a run is about 100 miles, so they'd cover a lot of ground.

Yes, a good plan. Its no use telling fishermen though, they're always asleep.

So its gone down t&m the Coventry cut there are 4 ways to go coventry, ashby (not very smart as you have to come back the same way! Down oxford cut to braunstone turn but why turn back to Birmingham if you just came of the t&m dosnt make sence so the 2 ways i would go is oxford way or gu south but it all comes down to are they trying to get somewhere or just boating around. Trying to get somewhere makes it easyer to find as they wont suddenly change direction.

Gu south also puts you on the nene and ouse. Now there run by ea so maybe less talk or know on a river you can hide and easyer to pull it out.

Why throw the plates this makes it even easyer for crt to spot it as any boat checker its the 1 thing all of them look out for. This is how chilton was found out.

And why leave them where they can easily be found?? Leaving a trail and has been said possibly fingerprints too.

Clearly this thief is a fender short....

So presumably that is Coventry Canal at Hartshill over 2 weeks ago, so I would have thought trying to see if Rose had noticed it pass them would be useful, but is so long ago not that may be difficult.

Also worth noting is that if this is the same guy that took Chilton, all this is before Chilton was taken, which I think was on the 17th. So if he was going somewhere specific that place would not be more than perhaps 5 days from Hartshill, still a lot of ground though and multiple directions.

OK so I had got that wrong it was at bridge 32 on the T&M at Burton on the 11th.

The hard bit is how long ago the plates were dumped, was there any indication there that the had been there some time, or freshly dumped. Has he gone back to this boat after the Chilton incident, or was all this before that.

And why leave them where they can easily be found?? Leaving a trail and has been said possibly fingerprints too.

Clearly this thief is a fender short....

yes that is strange, at first you think just remove from the window, but then removing them from the boat suggest he was removing things that identify the boat. I wonder if there could be other stuff dumped in the direction of travel.

Ditchcrawler, what day did you see the potential same boat on the Ashby, was it facing up or down?

Tuesday, Can't be sure which way it was facing, it was definitely the same make and I don't recall any signwriting, I didn't see it when we left this morning or anywhere from the top to bottom, so the only way is could be on there is in a marina or the arm by the sea scouts. Unless he went up last night while we were in bed, but I didn't hear anyone pass.

More developments on our stolen boat. The boat was sited and noted by the canal and river trust on the 11th of July, at bridge 32 on the 11th of July.

Thanks

Chris and

If its the same thief as took the other boat, this is very odd. I was wondering if he took your boat in response to being chased off the other one but it appears not, as this pre-dates the theft of the other one.

I'm wondering if he disposed of, or abandoned your boat prior to stealing the other.

It seems too much of a coincidence for there to be two thieves of similar appearance, in the same area at the same time.

Tuesday, Can't be sure which way it was facing, it was definitely the same make and I don't recall any signwriting, I didn't see it when we left this morning or anywhere from the top to bottom, so the only way is could be on there is in a marina or the arm by the sea scouts. Unless he went up last night while we were in bed, but I didn't hear anyone pass.

Last Tuesday or this Tuesday?

I was told by the owner of the Chilton that the boat was taken three to four weeks before it was found on the 20th of July, so about the same time as we were speaking to the man at Fradley, but before our boat was taken,

That is news, the impression from the Chilton thread was that it was only stolen a few days before being found. So at the time your was stolen he already had Chilton. Not sure that that means. From the location of your plates and when Chilton was found they were not going in the same direction it seems.

BTW, I have put the flyer out on twitter, hopefully that will get some different exposure.

That is good news. Do the recent posts about facing Snaresbrook on the Ashby suggest the boat may be hidden somewhere up there?

We just wish we had stayed in the area instead of trying to concentrate on posting to boatyards etc. Incidentally, we have had a thought about firms who crane narrow oats, is there any that come to mind that we may approach with a flier? Again, thank you for all your posts one and all, we are reading them all, but there has been so many that we have not been able to reply to each one of you individually, but all your thoughts and ideas are noted and being acted on,

Last Tuesday or this Tuesday?

Two days ago

It was facing towards snarestone tunnel. There was another boat nearby

Are you talking about the one with wood round it. The boat I saw was at the other end of the canal

Edit I didn't intend this to come as a reply but a new posting

Thinking out of the box, your number plates were removed and dumped, Chiltan's number plates were removed, where they dumped or if it is the same bloke could they be on your boat? Just a thought

Edited by ditchcrawler

That is good news. Do the recent posts about facing Snaresbrook on the Ashby suggest the boat may be hidden somewhere up there?

We just wish we had stayed in the area instead of trying to concentrate on posting to boatyards etc. Incidentally, we have had a thought about firms who crane narrow oats, is there any that come to mind that we may approach with a flier? Again, thank you for all your posts one and all, we are reading them all, but there has been so many that we have not been able to reply to each one of you individually, but all your thoughts and ideas are noted and being acted on,

Tuckeys are the well known firm, worth a call. http://www.mjtcranes.co.uk/transport/tuckeys/

Snarestone duck.

I passed this boat on Saturday 23rd July and the majority of stern end was encased in ply like the other chap saw. It was in grey undercoat.

The chap was fixing wood to a frame at the bow.

We went up thro the tunnel at around 2.30pm and turned at the visitor centre by the drawbridge

We tied up and had an ice cream then passed the boat on our return.

Small guy was working on the wooden front,

It was exceptionally hot and we were

struggling to keep the dog cool

This would be around 3 30 pm as we were back in the marina by 4.50pm to meet a friend

We attended the beer festival at shackerstone that nite

As the person suspected of stealing the other boat is fresh out of prison and therefore known to the police, is there a picture of him available for Chris and Graham to see? They would know then if it was the man they chatted to.

Just a thought.

• Greenie 1

Two days ago

Are you talking about the one with wood round it. The boat I saw was at the other end of the canal

Edit I didn't intend this to come as a reply but a new posting

Thinking out of the box, your number plates were removed and dumped, Chiltan's number plates were removed, where they dumped or if it is the same bloke could they be on your boat? Just a thought

I don't want to complicate the picture by playing armchair detective, but does this business of the plates being dumped in a (presumably?) clearly visible place strike anyone else as odd? Why not just drop them in the canal if you don't want them to be found? Could this be an attempt to lay a false trail?

I don't want to complicate the picture by playing armchair detective, but does this business of the plates being dumped in a (presumably?) clearly visible place strike anyone else as odd? Why not just drop them in the canal if you don't want them to be found? Could this be an attempt to lay a false trail?

I do not think we are dealing with someone who is that clever to be honest, stealing a boat and cruising around a small area is not really a great idea in itself.