* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

My flippant comment.

I will fall on my sword now!

Serious now......

Just been on faceache browsing and if I could find the post( random search filter) there was a post made on the 18 th July about boats on the Erewash canal.

None of the posts where friends and so now can't see it, but the Erewash from Mercia is achievable in less than 8 hrs...........

Anyone else see this post?

Robert: we'll be at Tixall on Saturday, so in a good position to hand out leaflets to a lot of folk.

You've already got our email, of course, so do please send us the leaflet.

Bruce & Sheila

Will do, Bruce & Sheila, and thanks.

Are the flyers ready to email out? I'm finishing work at 4, I can print some out and take them with me this weekend.

Should be ready within the hour.

Will you pm your email address please?

It could even be hiding in a tunnel altering its appearance, Braunston for example, until the grub runs out or the toilets full up, pretending to have broken down when boats go by and refusing a tow out saying they've nearly fixed it now and will be moving out soon, but don't. possible?

It could even be hiding in a tunnel altering its appearance, Braunston for example, until the grub runs out or the toilets full up, pretending to have broken down when boats go by and refusing a tow out saying they've nearly fixed it now and will be moving out soon, but don't. possible?

Until a wide-beam tries to come through... :)

Hi all

With all these suggestions about hiding. It occurred to us that when we were going down the locks at Fradley, on the top lock we were approached by a balding short man in his 60s who on his own admission did not have a boat. He was very interested about our boat, asked lots of questions, we explained we were from Essex and off home, also where we moored. This was our last trip and was on July the 1st. With hindsight it sounds daft that we chatted to him giving so much info action. This is also a short was from Kings Bromley where the other boat was taken in similar circumstances?

A thought?

Best wishes

Chris and Graham

Hi all

With all these suggestions about hiding. It occurred to us that when we were going down the locks at Fradley, on the top lock we were approached by a balding short man in his 60s who on his own admission did not have a boat. He was very interested about our boat, asked lots of questions, we explained we were from Essex and off home, also where we moored. This was our last trip and was on July the 1st. With hindsight it sounds daft that we chatted to him giving so much info action. This is also a short was from Kings Bromley where the other boat was taken in similar circumstances?

A thought?

Best wishes

Chris and Graham

is there any description of the guy who took the boat? I gather his departure was witnessed by other boaters who moor near and I wonder if any of them can remember what the guy looked like?

haggis

is there any description of the guy who took the boat? I gather his departure was witnessed by other boaters who moor near and I wonder if any of them can remember what the guy looked like?

haggis

Just that he was stocky with grey hair and about 60. He was wearing overalls and carrying a knapsack

Make sure they go to the police for fingerprinting.

Oops!

SWMBO mentioned this after I'd carried them for a while, but I think I mostly held them by the edges.

Hi all

Brilliant news!

Our license plates have just been found at Hartshill by bridge 30! Thanks Ian Cox!

Chris and Graham

At least this suggests that he did actually travel through Atherstone towards Coventry or possibly the Ashby.

Just that he was stocky with grey hair and about 60. He was wearing overalls and carrying a knapsack

Thanks. Quite like the description of the guy who took the boat from Kings Bromley then.

Good that the plates have been found as that sort of indicates where the boat is or was heading. I wonder if the plates were removed when the theft was publicised on here and FB and the guy realised he had been rumbled and did some damage limitation.

haggis

Might be worth contacting local cycling clubs. If they have an off road section they might cycle the tow paths as a club run. At this time of year a run is about 100 miles, so they'd cover a lot of ground.

• Greenie 1

My flippant comment.

I will fall on my sword now!

Serious now......

Just been on faceache browsing and if I could find the post( random search filter) there was a post made on the 18 th July about boats on the Erewash canal.

None of the posts where friends and so now can't see it, but the Erewash from Mercia is achievable in less than 8 hrs...........

Anyone else see this post?

If it was me i wkuld want to be down the erewash asap i use to hate that stretch.

Considering the number of people who are now aware of this boat [including CART] it would seem to me that either it has been very well hidden or the thief has changed it's appearance sufficiently well to avoid suspicion.

With Chilton the name was overpainted--not the most elaborate deception and the boat was soon found. This boat doesn't display a name but has a very distinctive stern. So,and I appreciate that it may be a stupid question for those who know, how easy would it be to remove the "windbreaker" that is clearly displayed in the photographs. Is it welded to the counter or are there struts that lift it clear and allow water to drain away--how easy would it be to remove with, say an angle grinder or hacksaw.

Sorry, may be a stupid question but I'm trying to think what I would do

I would have hoped that the Police could have offered a bit more--Has the OIC for this theft liaised with the officer dealing with Chilton. There are obvious similarities and if the first man is known then he needs tracing pdq--there are numerous enquiries only the police can make--contact his probation officer[i recall a post mentioning that he had just been released from prison]--where does he collect his dole--what was the medication he left on Chilton/where was his doctor/has he triedto replace it. I accept that he may have nothing to do with this theft but the cynic in me.....

Dave

Hi all

Brilliant news!

Our license plates have just been found at Hartshill by bridge 30! Thanks Ian Cox!

Chris and Graham

least you know its been in that area. Were they ov to find or hidden? Reason i ask is ov means most people would see them (depending on people on that area more likley to be close by)

So presumably that is Coventry Canal at Hartshill over 2 weeks ago, so I would have thought trying to see if Rose had noticed it pass them would be useful, but is so long ago not that may be difficult.

Also worth noting is that if this is the same guy that took Chilton, all this is before Chilton was taken, which I think was on the 17th. So if he was going somewhere specific that place would not be more than perhaps 5 days from Hartshill, still a lot of ground though and multiple directions.

It's not hiding in Hartshill Yard is it?

I had a look when we went past, couldn't see anything. There are a few buildings and covered areas though.

Edited by Beaker

Dear all

Progress this afternoon.

In summary the licence and plates have been found today on the Coventry at Hartshill near bridge 30. This is near moorings and near to the small village and tearoom? Therefore it sounds as if they have been dumped recently. The police now have the mobile number of the finder and is contacting him to pick them up for fingerprints.

The description of a stocky bloke balding and around 60 fits the description of the chap who spoke to us at top lock Fradley junction on Friday the 1st fits the description from a boater at the marina.

Our boat was noted as being moored at bridge 32 on Monday the 11th of July, on the Trnt and Mersea, maybe visiting the Fayre and Square pub there.

Robert Neff of Mercia Marina has now produced a flier with details of our stolen boat and contacts should you wish him to send you any.

Thank you all so very much, we are certainly seem to be making progress,

Chris and Graham