Horns of a dilema

Oogyflip

Featured Posts

Newbie question again,

I've put in an offer on a boat, but I've seen another that like more. I'm planning on being a cc. The boat I've put an offer on is 40f. The one I like is 30f. The 40f is ready to go, but the 30f needs a shower, vanity basin, and wiring for 240v and an inverter, but it is 10k less than the 40f.

My question is basically what do people think about living on a 30f, and has anyone got a rough idea how much it would cost to do the work on the smaller boat? I should add that the larger boat was built in 2006 and the smaller one in 1980.

Like I said any advice would be very appreciated. Even if it's to tell me to go and get a bag of chips instead ?

Cheers

Oogyflip

Hi Oogy,

For a start your struggling for a permanent bed in a 30ft boat you don't say whether it's cruiser (less cabin space) or a trad (more cabin space) but CCing making up a bed every night gets tiresome.

26 years younger is a fair bit you are gaining potentially with the extra length thrown in. But a well looked after 1980s boat could last longer than a badly looked after 2006 boat get a survey to be sure.

For a look at what things cost as an idea see here http://www.lmbs.co.uk/frame.htm sailaway extras. Lymm Marina boat sales are at the keen on price end of the market I believe.

Ade

Edit to add direction in link

Edited by Mendip-Locks

A 10 year old 40 footer you can move straight onto, or a 36 year old 30 footer needing significant work, and you only save £10k on the purchase (and less after you have paid for the work)? Why do you need to ask?

Edited by David Mack

Yep agree with everyone. I had a 30 footer and I was contemplating having an extra 10 foot welded on before I got thoroughly disillusioned with being on the water and sold it and I wasn't living on mine. Mine was also a trad stern so had extra cabin area compared to a cruiser or semi trad. Go for the 40 footer.

The 30f is a springer cruiser stern. Yeah I would not wanna be making a bed up every night! The dinette is at the bow and can be made into a permanent double as there is bench seating in the kitchen area that, I can, at a push turn into a small lounge. I know the 40f makes more sense, but it has portholes all the way through and is very dark even in summer. I suppose I could look at adding larger windows in the lounge/kitchen. But like zenataomm pointed out my heart is with the springer, and it's also light and airy.

I'll phone round tomorrow and get estimates for the cost if a couple of windows, as that could change how I feel.

Thank you all for helping me clarify things! And the chips are on me

Cheers

Oogyflip

The 30f is a springer cruiser stern. Yeah I would not wanna be making a bed up every night! The dinette is at the bow and can be made into a permanent double as there is bench seating in the kitchen area that, I can, at a push turn into a small lounge. I know the 40f makes more sense, but it has portholes all the way through and is very dark even in summer. I suppose I could look at adding larger windows in the lounge/kitchen. But like zenataomm pointed out my heart is with the springer, and it's also light and airy.

I'll phone round tomorrow and get estimates for the cost if a couple of windows, as that could change how I feel.

Cheers

Oogyflip

I live on a 60footer which is all 11" portholes and love it. Less solar gain in the summer and less heat loss in the winter and it's not that dark because we have a Houdini hatch in the galley and one in the saloon.

I would have the 40ft boat and have a Houdini hatch in the saloon. Remember nobody is going to get in through a 11" port so more secure. Before anybody says it, yes you will need to double glaze the Houdini hatch in the winter cos they do get condensation but all I have are squares of plastic which I fit on at the end of summer......snug.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

If it's just the light issue then I would go with the 40ft as it sounds a better buy and go with Phils suggestion of a sky light as these bring in much more light than normal windows and will transform the boats feel completely.

In the interest of balance...

There's a lot to be said for a 30 footer if you can manage it, and I don't see why a single person shouldn't be able to. The smaller boat will likely handle better, it will be easier to manhandle with ropes, will probably be more fuel efficient, be cheaper to moor and licence, and you can turn round pretty much anywhere. Another factor not related to the boat length but of interest to a liveaboard is the Springer will be easier to moor in shallow water. Springers also have decent side decks.

I know where the OP is coming from - 30 foot Springers have a certain charm, not shared by their longer brethren for some reason. If you feel drawn to this boat whilst the other one leaves you cold, I'd go for the Springer. Having a basic affection for your boat is a prerequisite for a long relationship.

I hate to say it, but I think maybe you should be looking for another boat. That £10k 'saving' from buying the old Springer could easily be wiped out within a few years by the cost of the work you describe plus the extra maintenance necessary on an older boat built with thinner steel - and at the end of the day you'd still have a very old, very small boat with a very low ceiling on its value.

And as far as I can see, you're only even considering it because you don't really like the all-portholes design of the 40-footer. The obvious solution being to look for a boat that doesn't have that problem.

I'm sure that's easier said than done, but this seems to me like a case where you shouldn't follow your heart. Feeling more 'light and airy' just doesn't seem like a good enough reason to choose a 36-year-old 30-footer over a 10-year-old 40-footer.

Cheers

Oogyflip

Springers are arguably less well built than many boats with their thinner hulls and many need overplating, which is not cheap. As others have said, 10ft is a lot more space on a boat especially if you're going to CC.

As for the port holes resulting in less light, this is easily fixed by adding a sky hatch or two on the roof. The other benefit of having port holes is that it provides much better security, again, a big advantage if you're continuously cruising. I wish my boat only had port holes. :(

Springers are arguably less well built than many boats with their thinner hulls and many need overplating, which is not cheap. As others have said, 10ft is a lot more space on a boat especially if you're going to CC.

As for the port holes resulting in less light, this is easily fixed by adding a sky hatch or two on the roof. The other benefit of having port holes is that it provides much better security, again, a big advantage if you're continuously cruising. I wish my boat only had port holes. sad.png

That's all highly debatable.

Where is the evidence that Springers are "less well built" than other boats? it's a statement often uttered by folk who have never owned one.

Build quality has nothing whatsoever to do with hull thickness.

As for overplating, I consider that it is a relatively cheap solution. If it wasn't there wouldn't be too many overplated boats around. The big advantage of steel is the ease with which it can be repaired, patched, strengthened, altered, stretched etc.

• Greenie 1

Some times "just fitting" feayres end up being a complete faff and great mistake - especially if whoever has no experience in visualising or doing the changes.

Putting 'something' there doesn't always work out - because the internal layout - and that means the bits you can't see.

An example was the lady here earlier in the year wanted a larger alternator (hadn't worked out her needs in advance) but it was a challenge to fit it - because there was no space for it.

The changes the OP suggests may not be major - but could be a great upheaval, or indeed not very practical to do.

Some times "just fitting" feayres end up being a complete faff and great mistake - especially if whoever has no experience in visualising or doing the changes.

Putting 'something' there doesn't always work out - because the internal layout - and that means the bits you can't see.

An example was the lady here earlier in the year wanted a larger alternator (hadn't worked out her needs in advance) but it was a challenge to fit it - because there was no space for it.

The changes the OP suggests may not be major - but could be a great upheaval, or indeed not very practical to do.

I have no experience so can you enlighten me.WTF are"feayres"

If it's just the light issue then I would go with the 40ft as it sounds a better buy and go with Phils suggestion of a sky light as these bring in much more light than normal windows and will transform the boats feel completely.

.And paint the inside a light colour, not dark wood stain