Stolen narrowboat - Chilton [***found***]

malcolmm

Featured Posts

What do you mean by a 'C' at the bows? We have a Liverpool Boat and I can't recall any 'C'.

Liverpool hulls have three features that I notice. The roof is very curved, the rubbing strake at the bow is fabricated to make it stick out more, and where it meets the stem post (the top bit of the bow' there is a C shaped piece welded on. This piece is flat on the top, bottom and front and has a C shape cut out at the back. Naturally I can't find a picture

Richard

The 'C' is better described as a 'scroll shape' fabricated into the top bend, and is missing from this boat. Otherwise it makes a damned good imitation of being a Liverpool Boats shell.

I'll see if I can find a photo of a bow with the scroll shape.

Good spot by Richard that it's missing.

The 'C' is better described as a 'scroll shape' fabricated into the top bend, and is missing from this boat. Otherwise it makes a damned good imitation of being a Liverpool Boats shell.

Because it's not a Liverpool boat, it's a Collingwood

Richard

Because it's not a Liverpool boat, it's a Collingwood

Richard

Quite.

So we are seeking a boat with the general look and style of a Liverpool boat, but isn't. And the missing scroll is a good way of instantly ruling out a whole load of similar-looking boats.

No idea - it doesn't load

481270_1.jpg

It does without the stuff after jpg in the address

Richard

Odd. My first link is a photo, my second goes to the AD advert page.

Here's the photo uploaded to the CWF server:

post-62-0-57919800-1469012514_thumb.jpg

Ah - the economy version.

Indeed. There are other things about the boat build that makes her a Ford and not a Jaguar. I still love her though and would not swap her for a boat worth 20 times more than we paid.

We've got a Liverpool boat but it hasn't got a C scroll. I'm sure it's Liverpool, not Collingwood.

They only have one rubbing strake at the bow, I've noticed that on other Liverpools.

Earlier Liverpool didn't have that flare, or "C" if you will, which came in about the late '90s. When Liverpool became Collingwood circa 2007, the feature was dropped.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far - if it helps I can categorically confirm that the shell was built by Collingwood in Liverpool, final fitting was done by Orchard Marine, and there is no C scroll at the front.

Earlier in this thread was a possible sighting from Mickj heading towards Market Drayton - thanks very much for this, any more information you can offer e.g. approx. time of day, anything about the occupant or occupants?

How awful to be told your boat has gone missing. I hope it is found soon. They usually are.

I am retired and live canalside on the Coventry, so will keep an eye out in case it comes south.

Edited for spillung.

Edited by cuthound

Thanks to everyone for their help so far - if it helps I can categorically confirm that the shell was built by Collingwood in Liverpool, final fitting was done by Orchard Marine, and there is no C scroll at the front.

Earlier in this thread was a possible sighting from Mickj heading towards Market Drayton - thanks very much for this, any more information you can offer e.g. approx. time of day, anything about the occupant or occupants?

Just a thought; that would mean the boat would have gone through Autherley Junction, so it might be worth speaking to Napton Narrowboats base there to see if they noticed the boat going through.

I have taken the liberty of spreading it round FaceBook

I have just had this reply on Face Book "We moored in Penkridge on Friday evening and then travelled to Great Haywood. I have just reviewed our home video but I don’t seem to have caught it. Sorry." I also had a sighting in Penkridge and have asked if they have more information, time, people, direction etc.

Here's my list of what I'm looking for (feel free to add / remove items from it)

plain liverpool shell (without the distinctive C's)

window layout (front to rear)

port ¦ [ ] [ ] [ ] o o ¦

starboard ¦ [ ] [ ] [X] o o ¦

chrome / silver windows not the usual gold colour

chrome mushrooms (not brass)

single pane windows (not the usual top section opening ones)

steps on cabin sides at bow (chrome not brass)

unused starboard top fender anchoring point at bow (assuming photo reflects current state)

rectangular light (mounted vertically) on front of cabin (starboard side)

I think those help a great deal, and make it far easier for someone to spot the structure even if the boat has had a quick repaint.

I do think we need to know if the other side has a similar window layout, or, if not, how it differs.

Do you have an additional picture of the other side, please?

I agree that the additional photos help. The back is quite distinctive. A question mark shaped tiller (rather than straight lines) combined with a square stern rail (not curved like the shape of the deck) and the locker type things joined to the vertical sides, plus silver coloured vents etc, all make this fairly distinctive even if it's had the name removed and been repainted. Edited by BlueStringPudding

How much fuel was in the tank and how fast do you usually get through it? Would give some idea about how far it could cruise before having to pick up diesel. It would then allow you to contact the fuel vendors in the area it was last sighted and warn them to keep a look out.

Do you have a lock on the tank...?

Edited by Chalky