Incidents on canals at Birmingham Road, Warwick and Shuckburgh Road, Napton

Ray T

Featured Posts

From Warwickshire police:

CW WK Incidents on canals at Birmingham Road, Warwick and Shuckburgh Road, Napton

Please be aware of the following incidents, which have occurred on the Warwickshire canal network over recent days:

Incident 195 of 19 June - Between 9 and 19 June, offenders broke into a house boat moored near to the Ugly Bridge in Birmingham Road, Warwick and stole several books and a fridge along with other items.

Incident 208 of 23 June - At some point before 2pm on 23 June, offenders broke into a narrow boat moored around a mile away from Wigrams Turn Marina in Shuckburgh Road, Napton.

The offenders caused some damage and carried out a search of the inside of the boat before making off with a small digital radio and a canvas National Trust ruck sack.

Please remain alert, on the lookout for suspicious persons, vehicles or activity around your area and please report anything of concern, to Police, on 101.

Thank you
Julie Dale
Warwickshire Police

Edited by Ray T

Really awful for the two owners concerned.

They knicked some books, a fridge, a small digital radio and a National Trust ruck sack. It's not much of a haul for the damage done. Why do they ruin people's boats and/or lives?

I'm not sure that someone their fridge nicked counts as having their 'life ruined'.

Upetting and disruptive yes, but hardly a life ruined.

Let's keep some perspective.

It's not the loss of property that affects most burglary victims. Unless sentimental, it can be replaced Its that some feel really violated and unsafe in their own houses/boats following a break in. There's also the worry that you are more likely to be targeted a second time.
  • Greenie 4

It's not the loss of property that affects most burglary victims. Unless sentimental, it can be replaced Its that some feel really violated and unsafe in their own houses/boats following a break in. There's also the worry that you are more likely to be targeted a second time.

This^^^

When our garage was broken into, twice, in the middle of rural Anglesey, I was amazed by my emotional reaction to it, a feeling of violation followed by murderous rage. You'd think they'd raped my daughter, not just nicked a brush cutter. We rebuilt the garage with an alarm system involving a 130 dB siren inside touching the sheet roof. Virtually a non-lethal weapon, any scrote who got caught by it would have trouble answering to the charges in court, being temporarily deaf.

I kept a pair of ear defenders in the house for use when resetting after false alarms (damn spiders...)

Having your home broken into, whether it be a boat, caravan or house and having your privacy violated and your possessions stolen is not a matter to be taken lightly or glossed over as being unimportant. People react differently to such events and while some can just shrug their shoulders and carry on with life, others cannot. This has already been demonstrated by some of the responses to this thread.

Well it can't be anyone under the age of about 35, they took books.

Hey Greylady 2, are you the same brassed-off person as Greylady Mark 1? If so, welcome back! How ya been?

Yes, many people do have that feeling of violation when their house/ boat/ garage is intruded upon, If that's proper English. (It has happened to us, incidentally). But these incidents could have been far more upsetting if, say, the persons responsible had smashed windows and used the floor as a lavatory. As Mr. Boiler suggests, let's keep this in perspective.

It's not so much what they take. It's the damage that they do to your boat.

Even after it has been repaired you can always tell that something is different from what it was. So it is hard to forget what has happened.

It's not so much what they take. It's the damage that they do to your boat.

Even after it has been repaired you can always tell that something is different from what it was. So it is hard to forget what has happened.

That perhaps depends, as I hinted earlier, on how much damage is done. Before reading this thread I had completely forgotten that Trojan had been broken into - well, it was about five years ago. But the only damage was where an engine-room door had been forced open with a tyre lever or similar implement. If a door had been battered down, or a window smashed, the incident would doubtless live more vividly in my memory.

If you have not been burgled or robbed you will not know how what it is like. I can assure your life will feel ruined. No matter how trivial the financial loss, you feel violated. You don't get over it. You just about learn to cope.

Our boat was broken into (years ago but the bad feeling lingers) - it was lived on for a few days.
The toe-rag was not content just to steal food and minor value items you don't miss until you come to use them (binoculars, torch, calculator, compass and hand tools....etc) but made worse by pouring ketchup and salad cream over the bedding. We took it off and burnt it.
You feel bad. You wish evil on them. It is a traumatic experience.

Interestingly the police have really taken the effect on victims into serious account lately.
Our house suffered an attempted break-in a short while ago. The burglar did not get in.

But the police forensic team descended in force to collect evidence, and also the social team to give victim support, at the time and with a follow-up to check how you are coping. They certainly appreciate people feel their lives have been ruined - that's the true perspective.

• Greenie 1

I am on the Warwickshire Canal Watch list. Any incidents involving boat crime are published to anyone who cares to join. The marina we are in is part of this too.

By posting these my intention is just to make people aware of crime in the area and to keep on the lookout and make sure their boats are okay.

I do not wish to be alarmist in any way, or rake up sour memories.

If people would prefer me not to post these I will cease.

Thank you.

P. S. no one has complained BTW.

Edited by Ray T

If you have not been burgled or robbed you will not know how what it is like. I can assure your life will feel ruined. No matter how trivial the financial loss, you feel violated. You don't get over it. You just about learn to cope.

<snipped>

I think it's a bit down to the individual's attitude. It really doesn't need to be so traumatic, nasty though it is. I've had my boat broken into, the guy slept on it and traipsed mud and sheep crap (you couldn't avoid the sheep crap in the field) over everything, so the carpets got binned and most of the bedding. He didn't do much damage getting in and didn't steal anything off the boat. To be honest, I couldn't begrudge him a night's shelter (snowy winter), having spent a few nights on the street myself when younger.

I've had my house burgled a couple of times, a few things nicked, again, luckily with no great loss or damage done. I can't say I ever felt violated and have never really understood why people say they do (though I'm sure it's true). After all, a house/boat/whatever is just a thing, it isn't you, neither are the things they take. Rape is a violation, burglary isn't.

Which is not to say that people don't feel that way, and I sympathise if they do. I'm not downplaying anyone else's experience, but personally I don't understand it.

• Greenie 2

I'd be devastated,how would I keep my Chablis cold?...yah

Not a joking matter - many boaters that I encounter are reaching the end of their physical ability to keep on doing what they love. An incident like this could finish off their resilience. Read the other responses in this thread and learn how burglary affects people sometimes.

I think it's a bit down to the individual's attitude. It really doesn't need to be so traumatic, nasty though it is. I've had my boat broken into, the guy slept on it and traipsed mud and sheep crap (you couldn't avoid the sheep crap in the field) over everything, so the carpets got binned and most of the bedding. He didn't do much damage getting in and didn't steal anything off the boat. To be honest, I couldn't begrudge him a night's shelter (snowy winter), having spent a few nights on the street myself when younger.

I've had my house burgled a couple of times, a few things nicked, again, luckily with no great loss or damage done. I can't say I ever felt violated and have never really understood why people say they do (though I'm sure it's true). After all, a house/boat/whatever is just a thing, it isn't you, neither are the things they take. Rape is a violation, burglary isn't.

Which is not to say that people don't feel that way, and I sympathise if they do. I'm not downplaying anyone else's experience, but personally I don't understand it.

Well done for sympathy - not

• Greenie 1

We all cope differently, my sisters house has been broken into several times..on one occasion she came home with her children and the perps were still there upstairs..they escaped. on another occasion they smashed their way in through strengthened glass of patio doors and on another they stole her jewellery and crystal I had given her. She refused to replace items as what she hasn't got they cannot take. Recently her and her husband spent night away...he hardly ever leaves their place and she took her few remaining valuables with her. She doesn't feel safe and hates her home...her security has been violated.

Ive had stuff nicked and you feel sick and unsafe..mine was different to hers though, its something I still won't face details of.

• Greenie 1