Buckby lock No 8

nigel carton

Featured Posts

Well that looks to me like an utterly stupid gate design. How they don't get lifted off once a week by boaters chatting instead of paying attention is beyond me!

It is an absolutely typical Grand Union steel top gate, of which dozens must be in service.

You have to work quite hard to get the stem going into one of the recesses, as those rubbing plates are fairly wide

Very annoying as we started a week from gayton today. I was planning on going Warwick way...At Stoke B wondering whether to go back north tomorrow on the off chance of it being fixed tomorrow....

That doesn't look like a "fixed tomorrow" situation to me.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think it will take longer than that.

That doesn't look like a "fixed tomorrow" situation to me.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think it will take longer than that.

I'm hoping that with Crick coming up, they'll manage to do some temporary fix -- a bit like the initial one last year at the lock a bit further down.

Very annoying as we started a week from gayton today. I was planning on going Warwick way...At Stoke B wondering whether to go back north tomorrow on the off chance of it being fixed tomorrow....

There's going to be quite a bit of Crick Boat Show traffic waiting to get up there, so if I were you I'd carry on south -- and have a trip down to Marsworth Junction, and possibly down the Aylesbury Arm.

There will be a lot of people wanting to know how long CRT might take to fix this, to decide what changes to make to their timetable or even whether to go around this temporary North-South divide. It's a long way round via the Thames (or the Wash for the really intrepid).

CRT won't want to be pinned down too easily to an estimate, but how long does the panel think, bearing in mind that CRT will see getting Buckby open again as a priority; how about one to two weeks as an opening guess for discussion? How long have previous comparable repairs taken?

MUCH better! :)

It was the start of a slippery slope, at the end of which you'd have been referring to a windlass as a 'lock key'...

So that's the name of the windy things!

Richard

It could be a 24 hr fix if they have lifting equipment in the area and the only damage to the gate is the beam off. Just lift it back in the cup and temporary strap the beam down again maybe even strapping that gate permanently shut. Then again it could need a new gate,

It could be a 24 hr fix if they have lifting equipment in the area and the only damage to the gate is the beam off. Just lift it back in the cup and temporary strap the beam down again maybe even strapping that gate permanently shut. Then again it could need a new gate,

That's what I would expect, they did something similar on the Oxford a few years back

Richard

Having just had a look at it, that gate is proper broke!! Got to need more than just a lift back in! CRT there but waiting for heavy lift gear.

They strapped the one at Braunston shut for weeks if the actual gate is sound and that one is steel isnt it.

Bet this is open by Tuesday. Road access to within feet and even the old side ponds are a filled in garden. Lots of crane and other workboats at Norton Junction base.

But are they still owned by C&ART? Isn't that the one which has a garden maintained by the Parish Council. It would be a shame to destroy it by parking a crane in it. Plenty of room around the lock for an old fashioned double A frame and block and tackle to lift the gate.

Edited by David Schweizer

That's what I would expect, they did something similar on the Oxford a few years back

Richard

they did similar at Rammey Marsh on the Lea, a couple of Summers ago, gate was lifted out with a front fender on the Saturday evening, it was fixed by Sunday lunchtime. It was very amusing, the perpetrator spent Saturday night in the lock, facing a community boating group of scowling kids and youth leaders, who were moored above, waiting to come down until, that is until he, the holiday ruiner damaged the gates.

We were coming back from upstream and only had to wait an hour luckily. Once freed the perpetrator had to go past the cruising club, who were having a barbecue, he got slow handclapped by a few dozen people on that side and the kids from the community boat on the towpath side. The shame.

Edited by Lady Muck

I once got caught in high winds in the short pound between two locks at Camden, on a full length boat. I was learning to drive it.

My partner was on the bank side gossiping and didn't notice.

Hundreds of bystanders watching me on the boat that was just rotating around in the space while I'm yelling at him for guidance.

He couldn't hear me.

I once got caught in high winds in the short pound between two locks at Camden, on a full length boat. I was learning to drive it.

My partner was on the bank side gossiping and didn't notice.

Hundreds of bystanders watching me on the boat that was just rotating around in the space while I'm yelling at him for guidance.

He couldn't hear me.

biggrin.png

Boats can make a fool of anyone

Richard

But are they still owned by C&ART? Isn't that the one which has a garden maintained by the Parish Council. It would be a shame to destroy it by parking a crane in it. Plenty of room around the lock for an old fashioned double A frame and block and tackle to lift the gate.

my initial thoughts, why bring in a clumbering great crane in.

MUCH better! :)

It was the start of a slippery slope, at the end of which you'd have been referring to a windlass as a 'lock key'...

Arn't they pointy doors and paddle handles?

MUCH better! smile.png

smiley_offtopic.gif

I call them the "gate ratchet thingy" when I can't remember the proper name - 'im at the back seems to understand what I'm on about icecream.gif

Its a lock key. You can't get through a lock without one so its a key.

Its not a windlass, that has a barrel and other gubbins. You could call it a windlass handle but why bother, windlass is not a nice sounding word.