Leicester

colmac

Featured Posts

Hi, am planning our extended summer cruise and was looking at going down to Braunston and up to Market Harborough. We have done this bit before but did not venture any further north due to family commitments. We are now planning to retrace our steps but carry on up to Leicester. What advice re moorings etc would those of you more experienced than us give please. Thank you.

To get it rolling and expecting a bit of flack -

There's a lot of locks 'twixt MH and Leicester. Seems tedious to retrace then and the rest for your hols:

Without 'canalplanning' for you - wouldn't a ring be easier / quicker??

'Tis said and I agree, the only safe place to moor in Leicester is by Castle Gardens. Gets congested but folks accept breasting up. The upside of that is you're right where the action is -

Shopping

museums

Roman rocks / bath

cathedral

Market - that's a must.

What do others say??

Thanks for that old goat. To explain; we are out April to October ( retired ) so time isn't really an issue so it isn't really a "holiday" as such, more of an annual voyage. In my posting I tried to avoid mentioning anything to suggest that there may be problems with mooring in Leicester as this often meets with some negative replies. I always like to try and benefit from others' local knowledge when we venture somewhere we have never been before. Thank you for your reply.

If you are extending to Leicester why not carry on down the Soar and onto the Trent and Mersey, it is a nice run and in the summer many of the locks are open as they are flood locks, not level locks so there are not many to work. It passes some lovely country with nice pubs what more can you want.

Agreed, moor at kilby bridge before heading to castle gardens safe mooring, then the next good mooring spot after leicester is Birstall. Then carry on and enjoy the Soar. She is a very beautiful river, with loads of safe moorings, some canalised sections, and well worth the trip.

Edited by Ally
  • Greenie 1

Have to agree with Oldgoat. OK to moor at blaby or south wigston but then carry on to castle gardens. Birstall next stop. Why not carry on to the Trent really pleasant north of Leicester on the Soar.

I am not going to say "it's safe" because I wouldn't want to lead you into problems but I have moored twice on 'the mile' in Leicester and had no problem at all. We have a dog and we don't usually leave the boat unattended but nevertheless I have a feeling that possibly people bring their own 'problems' with them.

I know that not everyone will agree but I can only report my own experience.

Frank.

(We are both retired and I have a slight disability so it's not that we frighten the locals.)

• Greenie 1

Has the boat that had errm.... "broken down" on the Castle Gardens moorings last June moved on yet?

Leicester was good, well worth the trip from Foxton. As others have said it's good further north too.

He was moved off in October

Point to note the Abbey Park Road bridge water depth going north is inches on the right hand side! Keep Left

Agreed, moor at kilby bridge before heading to castle gardens safe mooring, then the next good mooring spot after leicester is Birstall. Then carry on and enjoy the Soar. She is a very beautiful river, with loads of safe moorings, some canalised sections, and well worth the trip.

You can certainly moor quite happily much nearer then Kilby Bridge - Gees or Blue Bank Locks are quite rural and OK.

Edited by Mike Todd

We left Sileby last Friday. Spent a night at castle gardens but the boat we locked into Leicester with found a good mooring above Aylestone Meadow lock, we have also moored above Kings lock and Blue Banks lock without any problems. There is an issue with a lock gate at Gees lock so the pound to Whetstone is being kept 450mm below normal levels- this would have been ok but we found it 600mm down so we dragged the bottom all the way along the pound but couldn't get into the lock. We stuck about a boat length short. We ran water down for about 15 mins to raise the level to get over the obstruction but it was hard work and not for the faint hearted. Had to enlist the help of a passerby to get off to run the water down. Spoke to CRT about it but was advised that pound is being kept low. We draw about 750mm so are not really deep in the water.

There is also an unofficial mooring by Aldi in aylestone

There is also an unofficial mooring by Aldi in Aylestone

Sorry to dredge up my old joke from last year, but I take it that's the Canaldi mooring then...?

Incidentally, once you've passed through Leicester and Foxton heading south, don't forget to pop down the Welford Arm. It's lovely.

There is also an unofficial mooring by Aldi in aylestone

This is the one that IWA Leicester branch have been faffing around since Aldi redeveloped the site 4 plus years ago to get a proper accessible mooring at (without a metal raiing 2" away from the water to jump before you tie up).

Agree about Welford Arm, it is indeed, although susceptible to sudden rises in water levels in exceptional circumstances. (2 weeks ago)

This is the one that IWA Leicester branch have been faffing around since Aldi redeveloped the site 4 plus years ago to get a proper accessible mooring at (without a metal raiing 2" away from the water to jump before you tie up).

Agree about Welford Arm, it is indeed, although susceptible to sudden rises in water levels in exceptional circumstances. (2 weeks ago)

Can you wind a 70' boat at the end of the Welford arm? I have been a couple of times but years ago and in a 57' boat, I seem to remember that it was a bit tight at the end.

Frank.

frahkn, on 31 Mar 2016 - 1:05 PM, said:

Can you wind a 70' boat at the end of the Welford arm? I have been a couple of times but years ago and in a 57' boat, I seem to remember that it was a bit tight at the end.

Frank.

It looked a bit tight when we went last year - the WH can have boats 'nearby'

We're only 60 ft - so thought I'd show off by reversing back to the marina (?) entrance instead.

Got applause and some satisfaction....

I am not going to say "it's safe" because I wouldn't want to lead you into problems but I have moored twice on 'the mile' in Leicester and had no problem at all. We have a dog and we don't usually leave the boat unattended but nevertheless I have a feeling that possibly people bring their own 'problems' with them.

I know that not everyone will agree but I can only report my own experience.

Frank.

(We are both retired and I have a slight disability so it's not that we frighten the locals.)

I have given you a greenie for that.

There are loads of rings on the straight mile. We stayed there last year for the R111 celebrations. We were on the Castle Gardens moorings but there was a boat moored on the opposite bank a little way down and there was just no trouble. It is such a shame that Leicester has the no go reputation. I really don't think that it is any worse than other cities.

Nick