Running you're engine

lpp2

Featured Posts

Beautiful day in Cheshire sunny and relaxing on a smashing mooring when some idiot turns up and leaves his bloody engine running, as I write this rant its been running for 2.50 hours.

That's life.

He can run his engine until 8 o'clock

Basically, the quid pro quo of having a time for shutting engines off is that you can't reasonably complain if engines are run before that time

• Greenie 1

Beautiful day in Cheshire sunny and relaxing on a smashing mooring when some idiot turns up and leaves his bloody engine running, as I write this rant its been running for 2.50 hours.

You can always use your own engine to move your boat to somewhere where he is not.

N

I'll stick up for the OP here. Yes, the rules state you're allowed to run the engine (or a genny) between 8am-8pm while moored. But an engine doesn't be okay at 7:59pm, then suddenly become intrusive only at 8:00pm - then cease to be at 8:00am.. Canals are - can be - a quiet place for relaxation. The gentle hum of boat engines passing you by breaks up the silence with a cheery wave (normally) but a stationary engine does not have a similar effect.

The one that annoyed me was the guy who rolled up at a nice empty stretch of canal with miles of available space, moored up next to me, turned everything off, had a cup of tea, then started his engine, locked up his boat and went for a two hour walk, leaving the thing pumping fumes into my cabin. By the time he got back and turned it off (he obviously didn't like listening to running engines) I'd moved half a mile down the cut. Could still hear him, obviously, but bearable. Was mid-afternoon, so presumably he'd been travelling all morning, so can't have been flat batteries, just an inconsiderate plonker!

I like to moor alone as much as possible, so that I don't have to spend my days considering others.

At busy moorings this isn't possible, and I try to always consider any neighbours.

However I have never understood boaters who complain about other boaters running engines.

Surely it goes with the territory.

And I know the solar league are now going to try and do missionary work.

But I don't like solar panels. They are acne spreading over every possible surface, boats, houses, even some fields.

So you can run your engine near me, cos I live on a boat, and that's how we charge stuff up.

Rog

I like to moor alone as much as possible, so that I don't have to spend my days considering others.

At busy moorings this isn't possible, and I try to always consider any neighbours.

However I have never understood boaters who complain about other boaters running engines.

Surely it goes with the territory.

And I know the solar league are now going to try and do missionary work.

But I don't like solar panels. They are acne spreading over every possible surface, boats, houses, even some fields.

So you can run your engine near me, cos I live on a boat, and that's how we charge stuff up.

Rog

I tend to agree with you. I do have a couple of solars which in the summer do assist with the charging but yes deffo running an engine does go with the territory and provided it is strictly within permitted hours I see no problem with it.

Tim

bloody birds tweeting in the hedgerow does my head in why cant CRT do something about them angry.png

They have managed to limit the tweeting of birds to between dawn and dusk.

Why limit it to banjos? Anything with strings...

Things you blow are fine, unless they are bagpipes.

I agree. I always take my trombone with me on trips these days.

ETA it's also cut down my problems with people mooring up close to me...

Edited by Arthur Marshall

I used to play the trombone when younger. I had a very rare rubber trombone at one point; I was in an elastic band.

I like Banjo music me boy...

Pleeeese can I run my engine until I have some hot water?

Always a good thread the engine running one.

:0)

I used to play the trombone when younger. I had a very rare rubber trombone at one point; I was in an elastic band.

Is that a euphemism or euphoniumsm? ;)

• Greenie 1

The one that annoyed me was the guy who rolled up at a nice empty stretch of canal with miles of available space, moored up next to me, turned everything off, had a cup of tea, then started his engine, locked up his boat and went for a two hour walk, leaving the thing pumping fumes into my cabin.

If the bloke had left his engine running next to me, and then gone off leaving the boat unoccupied, I think he would have returned to find a potato rammed into his exhaust.

I like Banjo music me boy...

Pleeeese can I run my engine until I have some hot water?

Always a good thread the engine running one.

:0)

Is that a euphemism or euphoniumsm? wink.png

I am not one for blowing my own trumpet :)

If the bloke had left his engine running next to me, and then gone off leaving the boat unoccupied, I think he would have returned to find a potato rammed into his exhaust.

That'd make his eyes water.

I have been serenaded by a cornet player in Gosty Hill tunnel

Richard