Replacement Stove

Rob-M

Featured Posts

We have just had an advisory on our BSS due to a crack in the back corner of our Torgem stove so I'm looking for something to replace it but I really need another small stove that will sit nicely in the same corner position. Any recommendations on small multi fuel stoves...?

If its the usual tall and narrowish Torgem stove fitted to boats I'm thinking about it'll be taller than most modern stoves of similar heat output, so either a longer flue pipe or a plinth for the stove to stand on would be needed.

Try getting in touch with Garry at Spruced up Stoves. He has just replaced our Stovax for us. If your stove is worth salvaging and can be refurbished he will do it for you or as a trade in.

Garry Spruce works out of Nantwich Canal Basin but will travel

07960 079239

Edited by tillergirl

My boat was fitted with a Torgen when I purchased it, I changed it to the Salamander Hobbit and am very pleased with it. The only change I had to make was an adapter for the chimney pipe.

Sorry, can't figure out how to insert a couple of pics into the message!!

Kevin

The Hobbit has an optional stand that will raise it by 158 mm (about 6").

If you are going to be burning smokeless fuels and wood you will need the Hobbit SE version.

You only need the SE version of the hobbit if you live in a smoke control zone and will be burning wood. The standard model is still a multifuel stove and will burn coal,smokeless coal bricketts or wood just as well. I would not recommend burning house coal though in any stove it is just too ,mucky.

This from the Salamander website

"The Hobbit SE can be used to burn wood in a smoke control zone. The air controls are configured to retain a minimum amount of air intake to facilitate clean efficient burning. The distribution of air is also configured more towards efficient wood as opposed to wood and coal burning. The Hobbit is set up in our workshop according to each individual customers specification."

and...

"If you do not live in a smoke control zone then you should choose the standard option."

You only need the SE version of the hobbit if you live in a smoke control zone and will be burning wood. The standard model is still a multifuel stove and will burn coal,smokeless coal bricketts or wood just as well. I would not recommend burning house coal though in any stove it is just too ,mucky.

This from the Salamander website

"The Hobbit SE can be used to burn wood in a smoke control zone. The air controls are configured to retain a minimum amount of air intake to facilitate clean efficient burning. The distribution of air is also configured more towards efficient wood as opposed to wood and coal burning. The Hobbit is set up in our workshop according to each individual customers specification."

and...

"If you do not live in a smoke control zone then you should choose the standard option."

Smoke control zones specifically don't apply to boats- it's based on Victorian legislation, that deliberately excludes boats.

However, if you're not in a smoke control zone, the Environmental Protection Act is in force- and, being much more recent, does include boats.

Smoke control zones specifically don't apply to boats- it's based on Victorian legislation, that deliberately excludes boats.

However, if you're not in a smoke control zone, the Environmental Protection Act is in force- and, being much more recent, does include boats.

Quite so but I was not specifically speaking of boats. I was just correcting the post that said the OP needed a Hobbit SE if he was burning smokeless and wood.

Hobbits are wonderful stoves ours gets stoked in the morning when we get up, when we get home from work 12hrs later its still in. Stoked again before we go to bed and on it goes.

At present its our only heating on 60ft NB, 24deg in living area and 20deg in the bedroom at the other end of the boat.

Hobbits are wonderful stoves ours gets stoked in the morning when we get up, when we get home from work 12hrs later its still in. Stoked again before we go to bed and on it goes.

At present its our only heating on 60ft NB, 24deg in living area and 20deg in the bedroom at the other end of the boat.

What do you burn...?

What do you burn...?

Phurnicite

stove settings

Back draft almost full open

Front draft 3/4 turn

Bank it up from the front to the back so it slopes down to the front. Must get one of their higher grills one day.

Oh and most important when its been left for 12hrs riddle it and open the ash door until its glowing red then open the top door and stir it round to remove the ash....

boatman stove they will make longer legs if you need them that's what I did also had a torgem it fell to bits when I removed it

If it was more then an inch or so I think I would rather keep the stove as low as I could and extend/change the flu.

Morse Squirrel?

Daniel