How to get prescriptions whilst CCing???

Bewildered

Featured Posts

In about 6-8 weeks I intend to start CCing, however I am on perminent medication for a heart condition.

I booked an appointment with my doctor to ask for 1 years worth of prescriptions, at present I get 3 months before renewal. My doctor told me it is not their policy to give out longer prescriptions and asked if I could get someone to pick it up and drop it off to me, obviously he doesn't realise how big this country is.

I wrote a letter to the doctor explaining that I am having a change of lifestyle to reduce stress etc and that I would of thought my doctor of all people would be happy with my decision, and the last person to want to cause me stress; apparently doctors have no concept of irony as they are still refusing to issue a years prescriptions.

It seems I'm old enough and responsible enough to handle 3 months worth of drugs but not responsible enough to handle 12 months.

If find this red tape rediculous and insulting. It's not as though I'm after opiates, this is heart medication that I have to take.

So my question is what do other CCers do about prescriptions?

My next step is to write to the doctor to say that I will have to get someone to collect the prescription and post it to me and if it goes missing that I will hold them responsible if I miss my medication and ask that they keep the letter on file

Edited by Bewildered

I'd say the best thing would be to get somebody to collect it and post it to you c/o the nearest Post Office, by recorded delivery if you are worried about it going missing? I don't think you could "hold the doctor responsible" if it went missing in any event, he/she will simply be following guidelines on prescription medicines.

When I am on my long distance travels I get 2 sets of prescriptions each of 2 months, the second set dated 2 months in advance.

I just get them filled at a local chemist when the date is due. Incidentally whatever the system you negotiate with your GP always keep the re-order stub of your prescription handy so if there is a snafu, you can go to a local GP who can give you a temporary prescription to keep you going (normally a couple of weeks)

In about 6-8 weeks I intend to start CCing, however I am on perminent medication for a heart condition.

I booked an appointment with my doctor to ask for 1 years worth of prescriptions, at present I get 3 months before renewal. My doctor told me it is not their policy to give out longer prescriptions and asked if I could get someone to pick it up and drop it off to me, obviously he doesn't realise how big this country is.

I wrote a letter to the doctor explaining that I am having a change of lifestyle to reduce stress etc and that I would of thought my doctor of all people would be happy with my decision, and the last person to want to cause me stress; apparently doctors have no concept of irony as they are still refusing to issue a years prescriptions.

It seems I'm old enough and responsible enough to handle 3 months worth of drugs but not responsible enough to handle 12 months.

If find this red tape rediculous and insulting. It's not as though I'm after opiates, this is heart medication that I have to take.

So my question is what do other CCers do about prescriptions?

My next step is to write to the doctor to say that I will have to get someone to collect the prescription and post it to me and if it goes missing that I will hold them responsible if I miss my medication and ask that they keep the letter on file

I cant help with your problem but I can say that the three month max. thing is pretty universal these days. It's not about responsibility, one reason is to avoid waste on medication if it needs to change or for some other reason (eg patient death). The policy is likely set by the local clinical commissioning group not the GP so you could try writing to them to explain your circumstances and see if they grant you an exemption (but I wouldn't hold my breath)

Fiona slee has been CCing for years and more with assorted long-term health conditions. Her nb Epiphany website has lots of tips abut prescriptions.

http://nbepiphany.co.uk/boating-tips/medical-tips/prescriptions

Thanks for the link, I took a look and this seems to be they only answer.

It is rediculous that we need to jump through hoops due to unnecessary red tape all for the sake of 3 or 4 post dated prescriptions

"Computer says No"

When we first CCed our local doctor where we set out from issued us 4 three month post dated scrips. Worked a treat. However, subsequently we had to get them monthly from local GPs. We discovered that many of them put obstacles in the way. The most common is that you can't have an appointment for about 2 weeks. This is rubbish, in order to get their NHS money they must provide a walk in service at some time. You just ask when that is available. They will still make you jump through hoops, but the two week wait is non starter if you know about the alternative.

Bob

Was discussing this with my doc last week as we will be cc ing soon!

He informed me of a great new system called electronic prescriptions!! Apparently the scrip is sent direct to the pharmacy of your choice.

Great says me perfect for what we need. The doc then informed me that my practise does not offer it because there have been problems getting it to work properly!!!

Does have a great sense of humour my doc.

He did say that if I leave some SAEs at the pharmacy they will put whatever address I want on it and even send the drugs out if they will fit in the envelope

It sounds like you might need a new doctor, the strength of cc'ing is that you can choose a doctor anywhere. Find a nice little switched on rural practice!

Doctors try to do just a month but if you explain your situation they should do 2 or 3 months.

My doctor used to fax my prescription to the nearest pharmacy to wherever I was, but now the new electronic system is great.

Ideally contact the pharmacy first and get their postal address, or even better their code on the new system. Phone your doctor with this code and the prescription arrives at the pharmacy. Most pharmacies handle it well, a few struggle with technology.

...............Dave

Not giving longer is to do with getting lots of meds for 1 prescription payment.

Surely most people who require regular medication use a NHS Prescription Prepayment Certificate? That way they get an unlimited number of prescription medicine for £109 per annum.

Also if they are 60 or over they will get their meds for free.

Edited to add the cost of the PPC.

Edited by cuthound

Surely most people who require regular medication use a NHS Prescription Prepayment Certificate? That way they get an unlimited number of prescription medicine for £109 per annum.

Its a funny system because you pay per item, regardless of the quantity of that item.

If you are on two or more medications every month then a prepayment card works out cheaper, but if you can persuade your doctor to always give you.2 or 3 months worth then its not. Is this why doctors are told only to give one month at a time?.

A prepayment card is good because it puts you in the category of "not paying". I sometimes used to feel a bit of a freak paying for medication, many pharmacists appeared quite surprised than anybody pays.

............Dave

Yes I agree. I always had a pre payment certificate for years but now I am of a certain age I no longer need to pay.

Different surgeries/doctors have different rules.

As a for instance at my doctors surgery you can ring on the day and always get an appointment that day unlike many places.

Tim

I don't think that all chemists are on the order/online on system. I phone the surgery and they fax the prescription, which the dispenser deals with immediately. The chemist needs the original one so I have left a set of stamped envelopes with the doctor so that he can post them off. This seems to work fine.

What remains then is that the doctor wants to see me every 6 months for an examination. This is a nuisance that just has to be accepted.

Nick

I need a prescription on a permanent basis for a health condition I have, I've found every surgery on my travels has its own way of doing things, and about 50% are unwilling to do anything outside the normal for a boater with no address in the local area. Some can make things very difficult. I have a great GP just by Milton Keynes train station, and I will travel there from anywhere on the canal system to see her, I know I will get excellent care.

If anyone wants the details PM me. She is a superhero GP that can sort any problem, and just bypasses red tape.

I understand the frustration. However, one of the reasons they may want to only give you 3 months worth is that they can then see you and reassess you for any issues that may arise. In anycase 3 months or 12 months you are still facing the same issue you may not be near your old lolcal surgery when you need some more medication.

There must be several CCers who face similar issues getting long term prescription drugs.

As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong in going to whatever surgery you are near at the time and showing the your prescription details and they can check with your doctor you are registered with.

Also it is worth checking if your surgery has an online service for reordering prescription items. The surgery we are at (in Wales so may be different) does this and will post items to people who can't reach the surgery.

I hope you find a satisfactory solution.

I was given the guff that "We can't give you longer as the doseage you require might need adjusting"

I pointed out that I had been on the same medication at the same doseage levels for 16 years !!!....... I still can only get 2 prescriptions of 2 months each at a time though