Side hatches - do they always leak?

Silebyman

Featured Posts

My side hatch leaks - has always leaked since we've had the boat, and I've tried numerous ways to fix it.

It appears to be that when it rains water trickles down the vertical gaps between the frame and the doors, puddles on the bottom of the frame and then runs in.

I've put rubber seals along the vertical parts of the frame, which are compressed by the door closing, which are successful in preventing water coming in through the vertical gap, but I think the water now runs down the outside of the seal, puddles at the bottom, and then inside.

I've tried seals on the bottom edge of the door / frame, but the gap is quite small, and the scissoring action of the door opening and closing just rips the seal straight off again.

I've seen on other boats I've looked at that the frame has welded lip around the inside edge. Am I in the minority in not having this feature? I'm thinking of getting this done by the boatyard before it does serious damage to the fit out.

I've got one of the caravan style overhang lip things ( sorry for technical description!)

Any other ideas spring to mind before I resort to a welder?

Thanks

Without seeing a picture it's hard to comment but as a general rule if water is going to puddle anywhere then it requires a drainage path away from whatever you wish to keep dry.

So... If it puddles at the bottom of the doors could you not fashion (perhaps by drilling) a path for it then to run outside?

Tony

If done correctly a side hatch does not leak. One of ours leaks in extreme rain but this has only been 2 or 3 times in the last 8 years.

There are a number of factors, but a big one is that the Hatch opening should not go right down to the "gunnel", the more height on the cill above the gunnel the better. And adequate drainage channels down the sides, and in some cases a deflector on the roof.

.............Dave

The most obvious 'fix' for a leaking side hatch to my mind would be a fillet at the bottom which guides the water to the outside (so that the inside of the hatch bottom is higher than the outside). If that means slight re-fashioning of the bottom of the doors then so be it.

Tony

My doors fit into a metal frame, just like a window into its frame but the bottom slopes so that the water if it gets in is directed to the outside.

There is also a 'canopy/porch' for want of the correct word, that sits above the doors and overlaps to the side, that directs any water coming from above the doors away to the side.

If you have already a deflector over the door, these usually do not stop water dripping off the bottom edge of it and on a previous boat I used a section of aluminium lorry body gutter , projects about half an inch outwards, and has a upstand about an inch high, I used Stixall mastic to glue the upstand bit UNDER the lip of the deflector and that channeled the water to either side of the hatch and that helped the situation. Our new boat has well constructed fully welded channels down both sides, and a good slope on the lower edge to direct all water away, and it does!.

Cheers. Mick

My doors fit into a metal frame, just like a window into its frame but the bottom slopes so that the water if it gets in is directed to the outside.

There is also a 'canopy/porch' for want of the correct word, that sits above the doors and overlaps to the side, that directs any water coming from above the doors away to the side.

That is exactly how I would expect it to be done.

Tony

I think the flaw is it doesn't have drainage channels down the side, and the slope on the lower edge is at 90 degrees to the cabin side, so any water that lands on it runs inside...

There's the place for the "fillet" that I described. You need the lower edge to slope towards the outside. How you achieve that is obviously up to you.

Tony

if it helps at all here is the design of side hatch on my boat (it doesn't leak at all)

But you do have to shut the roof hatch at the slightest hint of rain, otherwise you will empty a lidful of rain into the boat when you do.

I prefer sliding roof hatches for that reason.

I have three side hatches none of which leaks.

Well almost right. Occasionally in conditions of howling wind and horizontal driving rain, a tiny trickle might intermittently penetrate the centre join between the two doors...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Proper rain hood and side frames needs to be a U section and the door sides bent at right angles so that they sit in the centre of the U section when closed. If metal door projects down past the lining it will drip any water onto the side deck without any need for a flare. Generous overlap of one door over the other provides a downward drain.

if it helps at all here is the design of side hatch on my boat (it doesn't leak at all)

I have side hatches which look to be the same - 6 of them - and none have ever leaked.

The wooden lining from one fell off, it took me a few weeks to get around to sorting it and it still didn't leak.

Frank.