50ft Narrowboat Unique / unusual design

David Mack

Featured Posts

Do any of the more technically minded types want to give us an idea what it's going to be like with a 185hp engine? Is it powerful enough for a 50ft boat?

I should think it will go up the Rhine against the tide if it has a decent prop ! The lorry exhaust is priceless.

Do any of the more technically minded types want to give us an idea what it's going to be like with a 185hp engine? Is it powerful enough for a 50ft boat?

I have done a brief google - can't find any data

Richard

I kinda like it, although that probably has less to do with the aesthetics of this particular boat than it does with my general appreciation of the colour brought to the canals by having a range of weird and wonderful boats around. Let's face it, no leisure boat with living space instead of a cargo hold is a 'proper,' traditional narrowboat at the end of the day, and IMHO it's no bad thing that there are boaters and builders out there looking for something a little different from the basic patterns established in the past few decades.

I like different :):) I cold fettle it to a better colour to my taste though.

I once looked at a NB with a V12 Jag engine fitted, dont think it lasted long though.

Yes it looks better than the usual sewer tube.

I don't hate it but it would not be my dream boat. Although I have often thought a more dutch style NB would make a good live aboard boat but I would want it to be longer and have a bit more style to it.

just about 140 BHP too much (or more)laugh.png

Edited by churchward

Didn't look too 'bad' on the headline picture, then ,then, then -

looking inside - umm - quite a boxy feeling ?

However, anyone who puts a Sabre in a NB must be strange and that to my mind casts doubts on the rest of the boat.

Sabres are turbo charged aren't they - so another potential problem??

i like it or should i say it makes me smile. the other thing is it would really give some gin palaces a surprise on the trent clapping.gif a narrowboat on the planehelp.gif

With Bows shaped like it has very little chance of getting on the plane IMHO.

Looks like a BW work boat ! biggrin.png

Edited by BD3Bill

Hmm, its different innit. Actually I quite like parts of it, the fore end has a bit of Humber keel about it, the top would look better being uncluttered, the wheelhouse is alright. Picture it with a bit of sheer instead of the bleak straightness of the thing and it could look pretty good, Bit of 'Ferrous' in there as well as a bit of 'Elizabeth' Good Effort but doesn't quite succeed.