Towpath moorings

StoneHenge

Featured Posts

Well after a wonderful week (bar battery charging problems) on the Ashby, Coventry and Oxford Canals, we are back to our moorings in the marina. Sad thing is, I didn't miss it at all, and I feel like I'm back in the zoo (no offence to the marina, it's just not the cut).

So we are going to do our best to get a towpath mooring somewhere reasonably close by. Just wondered if any of you are towpath dwellers and if you have any indication once on a waiting list how long it takes before one might come up?

We would love to move now, but obviously it's not how it works! Just a general idea of how long would be nice if anyone has been through the experience of applying.

Oh, and thanks for all your tips on the battery charge problem and the wittyness on the stove (had me in chuckles).

I can't claim to be any sort of expert on this, but I know that the waiting list for the most popular moorings on the K&A near Reading is up to 2 years at the moment, and there aren't any free BW moorings on the eastern K&A at all according to the nice lady in BW's moorings department. I'd imagine it differs wildly depending on where you're looking. If I were you, I'd phone BW and ask what the score is. I found the lady I spoke to there very helpful indeed, even if the news wasn't great.

I had a tip off about one location where currently there are several derelict boats taking up private BW mooring which they intend moving on, and I am hoping they might be what we are looking for. Problem is of course, there is always a queue, and I am not sure how a lot of you feel, but initially I liked the security of a marina and it's facilities,but now I just feel like it's not where we want to be so am hoping something may come up and we might just get lucky.

I spoke to BW this morning and the chap I spoke to didn't sound very knowledgeable at all, he is just posting me the pack of available BW mooring sites and said get on a list and you can check where you are from time to time.

Fingers crossed, but I am hoping we strike it lucky somewhere, as there are quite a few new marina's opening so I am hoping the waiters will go in there and we might get lucky. Wondering how often people who put themselves on waiting lists get taken off and how up to date the lists really are?

Phone BW and they'll put you on a list. Do your homework i.e. find out what boats are moored where, who owns them, and if anyone is intending leaving. When you find a space, put your boat there THEN phone up BW, who will say it is occupied by the boat that has just left. When you then explain the boat has left, and you know where it has gone, and it won't be coming back, 9 times out of 10 you'll get the mooring.

That's my experience of Bardney anyway......and I know of at least one other similar incident at a BW marina in Wales, or at least in the West of England.

Maybe if you phone up daily, to keep yourself at the top of the list you may get one, when they learn of one becoming vacant......I don't know.

That sounds like a good idea. It's only a short drive away. I heard they were going to move derelict boats off the moorings, so will have to take regular trips up as well as bug BW and show them I REALLY want this mooring.

Hi Stonehenge,

I got the BW pack on Saturday. It all looks rather difficult because they will only allow you to put your name against 3 different mooring sites. I guess the best way of doing it is to talk to someone who knows at BW and find out which have the shortest queues, then apply there. Lookin gat the list (they rank them by numbers weaiting) the shortest waits are for crumby spots with no power or facilities in the middle of nowhere. Strangely, I know of a site in the north east with what looks like several spaces but they claim there are 10-20 boats waiting. It overlooks a chemicals factory, and has nothing going for it except a good pub! I find that slightly strange.

Best of luck hunting, hope you find something.

Richard.

I don't mind the lack of facilities as such. The one I would really like is near a water point and diesel point as well as road access and parking, but otherwise, you are on your own.

If you have the pack, could you tell me the waiting list for Brinklow Junction? That's where we are really wanting to moor. appreciate it.

Hi Stonehenge,

I got the BW pack on Saturday. It all looks rather difficult because they will only allow you to put your name against 3 different mooring sites. I guess the best way of doing it is to talk to someone who knows at BW and find out which have the shortest queues, then apply there. Lookin GATT the list (they rank them by numbers waiting) the shortest waits are for crumby spots with no power or facilities in the middle of nowhere. Strangely, I know of a site in the north east with what looks like several spaces but they claim there are 10-20 boats waiting. It overlooks a chemicals factory, and has nothing going for it except a good pub! I find that slightly strange.

Best of luck hunting, hope you find something.

Richard.

Hi,

I'm on the waiting list for that site, and can confirm it appears to have a lot of space, but BW says no. There isn't a spot to be had in that area, for at least 20 miles all round. Yet I know off several empty moorings, some are apparently waiting to buy a boat, some are moored elsewhere but are keeping the other one on just in case. I'd be happy to keep someones mooring warm for them, and pay the rent, until their boat materialises, but BW won't pass my information on to them, or tell me how to contact them because of "data protection" I've thought of just mooring at a long empty site, just to see what happens, but I don't want to antagonise anyone. Meanwhile my boat is in Birmingham, a 130mile drive I could well do without. Anyone want to swap. Brum for East Yorks?

I have been told today that locally BW are no longer operating a waiting list at all?

I was told myself only 2 months ago that even if I added my name to the list it was likely to be three years before they could offer me anything.

The person who told me the current situation (a work colleague) has lived on a BW mooring for the last 12 (?) years but recently her husband changed job and was offered tied accomodation that went with the job

They decided to move ashore and sell the boat that has been their home for so long. Having moved and been out and completely furnished their new home from scratch they realised there was little interest being shown in their boat so decided to move it to a brokerage where they stood a better chance of selling (and did not have to pay mooring fees until it sold!)

The brokerage was around 5 cruising days away. I think they managed to move the boat for 4 days before realising they had made a huge mistake even thinking of parting with her. It is now on a temporary mooring while they sell off all their furniture and she managed to get a few more days off work to move the boat back to the local area again so they can move back on board.

Their plan is to bridge hop in the hope of getting another mooring. She seems to think that BW will offer the morrings to those who are bridge hopping in the local area?

I do not know what she bases that theory on but I suspect there is a lesson to learn from their experience. They gave up a beautiful mooring in a wonderful location!

They still have their boat but no base for it. I do not envy them I think it will be very hard to find a new mooring

Hi,

I'm on the waiting list for that site, and can confirm it appears to have a lot of space, but BW says no. There isn't a spot to be had in that area, for at least 20 miles all round. Yet I know off several empty moorings, some are apparently waiting to buy a boat, some are moored elsewhere but are keeping the other one on just in case. I'd be happy to keep someones mooring warm for them, and pay the rent, until their boat materialises, but BW won't pass my information on to them, or tell me how to contact them because of "data protection" I've thought of just mooring at a long empty site, just to see what happens, but I don't want to antagonise anyone. Meanwhile my boat is in Birmingham, a 130mile drive I could well do without. Anyone want to swap. Brum for East Yorks?

I noticed that too. A lot of empty spaces and a lot of boats with no apparent activity. I heard that they were planning to move these boats on, so free up moorings, so perhaps you might want to give BW a ring and ask them if this is the case (or I will once I get my pack through), and keep bugging them about it.

Fingers crossed. It's the same in our marina. We had put our name down over 2 years ago for a spot and when we went in to ask where we were on the list having decided it was time to buy the boat, she said we were not on it at all, and so she put us straight to the top and we had a spot within the week, so I think it pays to keep their attention so they know how eager you are. I just hope we get some luck soon (you too).

6 months ago BW North East said they only had immediate vacant mooring on the towpath at Salterhebble overlooking the sewage works, not sure of status now but there is very little to be had as the North East appears to be the one area that no new Marinas are being built. We bought our boat from Blue Water in Thorne and could only squeeze a few months out of them as they are full. We managed to get a few offers from the private individuals, farms and smaller marinas that are listed on the BW info sheets.

Hi,

Edited by PeterF

Apparently Salterhebble still has moorings, But I want to be more local. Have now got permission from a local farmer to moor on his field, but still have to get BWs approval. Apparently it should be a formality, but Easter Hols have held things up.

Also advised that they are going to reorganise boats at Rawcliffe to make more space. In spite of the chemical works, I think it's a cracking spot, shame there are no facilities. Have been told that the 500 tonne tankers going by make a hell of a wash, it's 6 knots speed limit here, and they don't slow down. Also no overnighting, just in case chemical works blows.:D

• 12 years later...
3 minutes ago, Donald newell said:

Hi if you own the land your boat is morred on why do you have to pay morring costs as I already pay a licence fee to use the canals 

Your licence fee is for your use of the canal (= cruising) - not for long term mooring - that's why CRT charge you a saparate fee to moor.

BW took a chap who moored at the bottom of a farmers field to court over this years ago. Their argument was that the licence allowed you to keep and use a boat on their waterways, but did not give an exclusive right to moor permanently over a specific piece of canal bed (i.e their land). I believe the chap chose to represent himself in court, did not set out his case well, and consequently lost. BW and CRT's position is that this case confirmed what they always maintained was the correct legal position. Others have disagreed, but nobody has been prepared to fund a legal case to look at the issue again.

I suspect that if anybody tried this now, CRT would refuse to issue/renew the licence on grounds that the mooring in question was not a place where you could reasonably keep the boat, then remove the boat under Section 8 on the basis that it was unlicensed.

Edited by David Mack

On 16/01/2020 at 13:31, Jen-in-Wellies said:

2007 to 2020 thread revival. Is this a record?

Not quite! 

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3412-too-expensive/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-2334464  

And I do believe there was one last year from 2005, but I can't find it now.

On 16/01/2020 at 14:06, doratheexplorer said:

I was just wondering that. 

You could try this approach! taken from https://nb-firecrest.co.uk/naptons-novelties/

1010399-02-1024x747.jpeg.jpg

We pass it fairly often and it always makes us chuckle. There are sometimes signs of life - washing hanging out & c. - but we have never seen an actual person in attendance.