C&RT call for volunteer lock keepers

Woodsy

Featured Posts

Are we in danger of missing the point here? "Volunteer" is a term describing someone whom is not paid who gives their time and effort freely to help others who may need it. Not all "boaters" are as able bodied as others and are very grateful for the help they receive on these occasions. I live in a virtually lock free area so volunteering is not so convenient but it's something I do if I'm at a lock and someone looks to be having a hard time.

If you don't want to give anything back then don't: just don't snipe at those who do.

I wasn't

I can't help thinking volunteers time would be better used by doing maintaince work rather than working locks, which no one has ever asked for in the first place. There must be a significant amount of logistics and office time spent on these volunteers.

Quite right, Give them brush to touch up the paintwork or oil the paddle gearing.

I can't help thinking volunteers time would be better used by doing maintaince work rather than working locks, which no one has ever asked for in the first place. There must be a significant amount of logistics and office time spent on these volunteers.

No one! How do you know?

Are we in danger of missing the point here? "Volunteer" is a term describing someone whom is not paid who gives their time and effort freely to help others who may need it. Not all "boaters" are as able bodied as others and are very grateful for the help they receive on these occasions. I live in a virtually lock free area so volunteering is not so convenient but it's something I do if I'm at a lock and someone looks to be having a hard time.

If you don't want to give anything back then don't: just don't snipe at those who do.

The antipathy results from the fact that in some cases the volunteer is "helping" somebody who does not want that help, and in actual fact actively wants the volunteer not to interfere, because their "help" is, in fact, not helping at all.

It's all well and good to point out the virtue of volunteering and suggest that we should show a bit of gratitude for their selfless act.

Why should I be grateful to somebody for doing something that is actually an inconvenience to me, just because he is doing it voluntarily?

If people want to volunteer for CRT, fine. If they want to do so for altruistic reasons, rather than because they want to play with locks or boss other people around, so much the better.

However, until they learn that there are people who don't want their interference, and learn that they shouldn't be doing anything without permission, I don't want them.

• Greenie 2

Mike Todd, on 14 Jan 2016 - 10:11 PM, said:

I wasn't

Sorry Mr Todd, didn't think you were...

I apologise to everyone for having an opposing opinion. It was clearly foolish and ill informed of me. I shall in future research "The Forum Party Line" and only post in alignment.

I have to say that the few locks we have been through that had volunteers that actively worked the locks with us (rather than hiding in a shed looking out of the window) they followed our lead for how fast to open the paddles.

This ranged from full bore as soon as possible one day to slowly and gently the next week (because we were going though with another less experienced boater) (same volunteer / same lock), they just watched to see how far / fast we used the first paddle and matched our movements.

Seems to me the vocal minority don't want any help at locks whereas the majority probably don't mind help - if there is a volunteer you always have a choice. I for one don't mind, it keeps the better half happy and less arguments about her doing all the work! argue.gif

Seems to me the vocal minority don't want any help at locks whereas the majority probably don't mind help - if there is a volunteer you always have a choice. I for one don't mind, it keeps the better half happy and less arguments about her doing all the work! argue.gif

Why is she doing all the work?

The antipathy results from the fact that in some cases the volunteer is "helping" somebody who does not want that help, and in actual fact actively wants the volunteer not to interfere, because their "help" is, in fact, not helping at all.

It's all well and good to point out the virtue of volunteering and suggest that we should show a bit of gratitude for their selfless act.

Why should I be grateful to somebody for doing something that is actually an inconvenience to me, just because he is doing it voluntarily?

If people want to volunteer for CRT, fine. If they want to do so for altruistic reasons, rather than because they want to play with locks or boss other people around, so much the better.

However, until they learn that there are people who don't want their interference, and learn that they shouldn't be doing anything without permission, I don't want them.

Excellent post. Aligns perfectly with my view too. Greeniefied.

I have only had a disagreement with one, the rest have been great and very helpful

Like Dave, I don't want of need 'help' doing locks. Doing the locks is part of the pleasure of boating. I'm not trying to get somewhere faster so why would I need 'help' with the locks?

I want 'help' cutting back the overgrowth bankside, fixing the shocking number of paddles that are broken and generally maintaining the infrastructure. But that isn't such a sexy thing to promote to wannabe vollys, is it?

• Greenie 1

Like Dave, I don't want of need 'help' doing locks. Doing the locks is part of the pleasure of boating. I'm not trying to get somewhere faster so why would I need 'help' with the locks?

I want 'help' cutting back the overgrowth bankside, fixing the shocking number of paddles that are broken and generally maintaining the infrastructure. But that isn't such a sexy thing to promote to wannabe vollys, is it?

I wholeheartedly agree. Working locks is for me a great pleasure and I enjoy it more than steering. I don't want/like having to tell people to leave the lock alone as I want to work it myself. I would prefer they stood back until help was requested.

I would like it even better if they were doing some maintenance such as MtB suggests.