whats the problem with ccers

kevinshaw

Featured Posts

Those are living expenses which have little to do with boating. A considerable saving on fuel can also be made by not moving until 14 days are up and minimising that movement to stay put for another 14 days, and another and all in all do anything to avoid actually boating.

laugh.png

Moorings you have chosen to pay for with lots of additional benefits those boaters are paying their way moving their boats does not have any effect on you what so ever

People choose to pay for a mooring. That mooring may or may not include various facilities, IN ADDITION TO the thing that all moorings include - aright to stay moored as long as you like.

Some LTMs offer absolutely nothing more than this.

you are under the misconception that CC'rs don't pay anything to go boating, it costs a CC'r as much if not more than your mooring fee's per year to live on a boat, taking into account the amount of diesel they use opposed to the diesel marina boats dont use, then theres the additional wear and tear on a CC boat that you also dont have, extra gas etc etc.

But surely what you're comparing there is the cost of living aboard vs. not living aboard, not the cost of CCing vs. having a mooring.

A liveaboard boater with a home mooring might very well be using the same amount of diesel, gas etc. as a liveaboard boater who CCs. And a non-liveaboard boater who CCs (a 'dumper') might very well use no more diesel, gas etc. than a boater with a home mooring.

But surely what you're comparing there is the cost of living aboard vs. not living aboard, not the cost of CCing vs. having a mooring.

A liveaboard boater with a home mooring might very well be using the same amount of diesel, gas etc. as a liveaboard boater who CCs. And a non-liveaboard boater who CCs (a 'dumper') might very well use no more diesel, gas etc. than a boater with a home mooring.

I'm glad that there are others who can see the difference is 'cost of living', but, what I don't understand is why GG would suggest that a live-aboard CCer would use more Gas than a Live-aboard non-CCer

I'm glad that there are others who can see the difference is 'cost of living', but, what I don't understand is why GG would suggest that a live-aboard CCer would use more Gas than a Live-aboard non-CCer

It's possible- if the live-aboard non CCer is in a marina with a shoreline, they will probably heat water with an immersion heater, whereas the CCer might have to use a Paloma or Alde.

But that hardly covers everyone.

It's possible- if the live-aboard non CCer is in a marina with a shoreline, they will probably heat water with an immersion heater, whereas the CCer might have to use a Paloma or Alde.

But that hardly covers everyone.

Exactly - that's why I suggested that GG was not comparing 'apples with apples' - A HMer liveaboard (on the bankside) will use roughly the same amount of gas, diesel, water, toilet emptying, chemicals, wood, coal, etc etc as a CCer Liveaboard.

The only differences are :

1) The mooring cost for a HMer

2) The 'standard of living' (shopping at Harrods or Aldi, etc)

3) The length of the boat ( blacking costs, licence costs etc etc)

you are under the misconception that CC'rs don't pay anything to go boating, it costs a CC'r as much if not more than your mooring fee's per year to live on a boat, taking into account the amount of diesel they use opposed to the diesel marina boats dont use, then theres the additional wear and tear on a CC boat that you also dont have, extra gas etc etc.

the problem with these 2 boaters is they are constant moorers not constant cruisers, i probably move more in a year than they do. one boat had a mooring but gave it up as it was to expensive. he told me he hadnt put diesel in it for nearly a year, i have put plenty of diesel in mine over the last year.

Impressions gained from this and similar threads

Apparently all CCers are bad
Apparently all HMers are bad

Apparently all those who are somewhere between the two are bad

And I'm not even going to start on cyclists, dog walkers, day boaters, hire firms. trip boats, volunteers and any other type of canal users.

Sometimes I wonder why CaRT actually bother with divide and conquer policies.
Their efforts are a bit like throwing twigs onto a forest fire.

• Greenie 1

But a non-liveaboard (non CCer) will not only have £1000s of mooring costs they will have similar 'cost of living' expenses with a house, wear & tear, maintenance, fuel ( electricity / gas), council tax and so on.

If comparing make sure you are comparing apples with apples, and not just 'cherry picking' the items that fit you argument.

you really should take your own advise - SEE BELOW.

Exactly - that's why I suggested that GG was not comparing 'apples with apples' - A HMer liveaboard (on the bankside) will use roughly the same amount of gas, diesel, water, toilet emptying, chemicals, wood, coal, etc etc as a CCer Liveaboard.

The only differences are :

1) The mooring cost for a HMer

2) The 'standard of living' (shopping at Harrods or Aldi, etc)

3) The length of the boat ( blacking costs, licence costs etc etc)

IF you are plugged into the mains why would you run your engine daily to charge the batteries? hence a CC'r uses more diesel. yes i know Some don't have mains but theres not many.

, i probably move more in a year than they do. one boat had a mooring but gave it up as it was to expensive. he told me he hadnt put diesel in it for nearly a year, i have put plenty of diesel in mine over the last year.

^^^ what he said.

you really should take your own advise - SEE BELOW.

IF you are plugged into the mains why would you run your engine daily to charge the batteries? hence a CC'r uses more diesel. yes i know Some don't have mains but theres not many.

^^^ what he said.

You are again only seeing what you want to see - I said a HMer moored bankside, not a HMer with a marina berth. How many online moorings have mains ?

However if you want to consider HMers in a marina with hook-up then you need to take into account their electricity costs, as an equivalent to the CCers diesel costs, or, maybe you are saying that a HMer who uses gas for heating should not have their costs included because a CMer may use Coal.

You are just not being consistent.

Who cares.

Just go boating and enjoy each day. Take no notice of where and for how long others stay and i guarantee your life will be better for it.

You need to rethink. If all those CMers were forced to cruise more, just think how much more diesel you would sell!

Who cares.

Just go boating and enjoy each day. Take no notice of where and for how long others stay and i guarantee your life will be better for it.

I'll drink to that ! The Bombardier in the Two Boats is excellent :)

Rog

Surely the most sensible comparison is between a cc'er and a liveaboard with an online mooring with little or no facilities. There are lots of these (I used to be one myself). The living costs would be similar for both groups, except the moorer has to pay for their mooring. Typically, a mooring like this will cost in region of £1000-£1500 per year. A marina berth might be £2000-£2500 per year. So they pay more for the extra facilities.

If you are a continuous cruiser and are spending this much in diesel and gas then you're travelling far further than CRT say you need to. That's your choice.

We have a new moorer at my mooring site. The mooring went at auction recently for a bit over £2000. It's residential but has no electricity. There's bin collection on site and elsan, which we might lose in the near future. They will be running their engine to charge batteries etc. How will they be saving money compared to a cc'er (and especially, compared to a cm'er?)

At the end of the day all the comparing matters not. The person buying a boat will use it or not as their personal circumstances dictate. If I wasn't retired and able to c/ cruise then I might have to get a mooring. If finances were tight I might become a dumper cruising maybe every 2 weeks to new mooring. Maybe i might get an online mooring with no facilities and cruise out and back when i can. A lot of variations so why compare. It costs you what it costs according to your commitments if any on land.

• Greenie 1