rupertbear

Featured Posts

Personal preference, my boats have tended to be "she" but then Juno is a roman goddess, Ripple and Lutine Bell are gender neutral

I'm not a linguist but I have been told that in most indo-european languages, where grammar is gender specific (unlike English) "ship" is female. Before people shout, so, for example is footballer in Spanish - David Beckam, whilst at Real Madrid, was a "footbolista" not a footbolisto

Edited by magpie patrick

I'm not a linguist but I have been told that in most indo-european languages, where grammar is gender specific (unlike English) "ship" is female.

An exception, perhaps surprisingly, is French.

I am not claiming this to be historically correct but when I worked on the boats I referred to them as "my / the motor" and "my / the butty", and very rarely called them by their names. I did however call other boats by their names.

I do not recall any boatman suggesting a term that was either masculine or feminine, they were simply items of plant with little or no romantic connotation captain.gif

• Greenie 1

An exception, perhaps surprisingly, is French.

And Spanish (el barco) but OTOH, a barge is feminine (la barcaza).

Edited to add that endings are not always a guide to gender. e.g. from Patrick's post, 'futbolista' is not feminine, but gender neutral.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

And Spanish (el barco) but OTOH, a barge is feminine (la barqueza).

In Spanish Barca (femenine) is a small boat and Barco (masculine) is a big boat. Spanish can be a bit weird with genders, for example 'polla' is feminine but 'coño' is masculine...

Edited by Delta9

And Spanish (el barco) but OTOH, a barge is feminine (la barqueza).

Edited to add that endings are not always a guide to gender. e.g. from Patrick's post, 'futbolista' is not feminine, but gender neutral.

The boats I've been on/viewd have been Male, Female and gender neutural reguardless of what the owner or broker described them as.

The boat I realy liked the most was deffo a bloke. It (He) needed a good kicking but we could have got through that and remained freinds.

The She I liked (a better boat) would have needed fuss and attention.

It.

I have yet to hear a decent reason why so many languages got cluttered up with the idea that everything has to have a gender. Why did they do it???? It buys you nothing and creates complexity.

Well it's from yer Latin, innit? (where navis is feminine, BTW).

• Greenie 1

I appreciate the original question was relating to narrow / canal boats. But in the industry I work in (ship handling / harbour tugs) they are exclusively referred to as female.

Generally the names are gender neutral and many are obviously females names (Svitzer Laura, Svitzer Madeleine). Interestingly though even when they are male names such as the Svitzer Brunel - named after the engineer - we will refer to her as female.

From what I know this is widespread throughout the merchant marine world. Whether this was common on the inland waterways I can't say.

Ric

I was always of the belief that a "motor" is referred to as female, added to the possibility that a ship or boat or floating craft is also female I would guess that nails the answer?

As a BCN style tug, we named Resolute in that tradition....strong, no nonsense, names, mirroring the power they had and the hard work they did. Despite that, we regard her as feminine .......no logic, I know, but.....

Cheers

Dave