Orange flames on my hob

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

I would describe that as a yellow flame but I suppose it might be orange before the lack of oxygen was enough to turn it yellow. As someone said I would usually associate orange with something else combusting in the flame like the dust mentioned. Anyway it certainly needs investigating.

Mine does this as me bottle nears empty.

It shouldn't, I believe.

Operating with flames that show yellow / orange for anything more that a few transitory seconds is probably not good news at all.

The only thing I have ever noticed when a cylinder is about to run out is you get more of the smell of the stenching agent. I would not expect to get flames possibly indicating incomplete combustion.

Edited by alan_fincher

It shouldn't, I believe.

Operating with flames that show yellow / orange for anything more that a few transitory seconds is probably not good news at all.

The only thing I have ever noticed when a cylinder is about to run out is you get more of the smell of the stenching agent. I would not expect to get flames possibly indicating incomplete combustion.

That 'stench' is brought about by the addition of Mercaptan to the liqid gas when the Cylinders are refilled,maybe the concentration of it could rise over time?

CT

That 'stench' is brought about by the addition of Mercaptan to the liqid gas when the Cylinders are refilled,maybe the concentration of it could rise over time?

CT

We had one a year ago that when we turned it on it filled the first bit of the pipe (which was shaped rather a U-bend beneath the regulator) with stenching agent. The minor side effect was that the flames on the hobs "hunted" in size at about one second intervals; the major effect was that the boiler controls got gummed up with stenching agent so the whole other had to be stripped down for cleaning.

CT

I think it's been said on here in a previous thread that the mercaptan is heavier than propane, so the last few litres of gas contain more stench. I'm not complaining, it's a handy guide to the cylinder getting low.

How is connecting a bunsen burner up to a water tap help here?

Richard

I thought for a moment you had got hold of one of my school stories, but that was connecting water tap to gas tap with no Bunsen burner involved.

(I still enjoy a regular drink with an old school friend who's father was amongst the large team of people set in by Eastern Gas to sort out the resulting problems. :blush:)

I thought for a moment you had got hold of one of my school stories, but that was connecting water tap to gas tap with no Bunsen burner involved.

(I still enjoy a regular drink with an old school friend who's father was amongst the large team of people set in by Eastern Gas to sort out the resulting problems. blush.png)

We just used to ignite the flow of gas from the gas tap - no bunsen burner involved either.

(I still enjoy a regular drink with an old school friend who's father was amongst the large team of people set in by Eastern Gas to sort out the resulting problems. :blush:)

I had to scrub down the science benches every day for a month after doing that ?