Macerator toilet of choice

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

He's sending you toilet performance reports?! Either he needs to get out more or you need to report him to your spam filter! ;)

Innisfree's fit out was designed and built by me so was a bit belt and braces to say the least (2 years of full time blood sweat and tears, especially blood before 19 stitches in my head!) so I agreed to him emailing me with queries about various installations. Haven't heard from him for a while so I assume he's got his head around it all.

The bowl could be mounted upon a food grade hand operated mincing machine, much cheaper than all the fancy machinery. You could wind it whilst sitting there instead of twiddling thumbs. The macerating motion is similar to the teeth and stomach, it chops up, shreds, mashes and minces in order to digest properly and so wards off expensive,acute chronic constipation in the system. closedeyes.gifPo-etry in motion.

Ok if you are 'hung like a Gerbil' but I think it might bring tears to your eyes if you were 'donkey rigged'

Edited by Flyboy

I had a vetus but it started to play up. Tried to buy a new pump but you have to buy the bowl as well £800ish.

Bought a Jabsco instead for half that and spare parts are sold seperately.....been going well for the last 4 years (that's the loo).

Rob....

Thanks Rob. That's the main appeal of Jabsco to me. Sounds like individual bits can be replaced fairly easily. Although when I look at the pics despite them saying they're full sized like a household loo they don't look it. They look kind of cute and rounded. :lol: When looking into the bowl from above does it look like a domestic loo or are there weird doohickies visible like squirting devices and other contraptions that need addition cleaning around? :D

Ok if you are 'hung like a Gerbil' but I think it might bring tears to your eyes if you were 'donkey rigged'

Pleased to say that neither "gerbil" nor "donkey" are applicable in my case. Although non-castratory "monkey" usage is essential.

So aside from Jabsco, the other brand that interests me is Tecma. Vetus seems to have smaller outlet pipe than my tank setup and LeeSan although a direct replacement for my SaniMarin, cost the earth.

Having had zero communication from a forumite allegedly selling a Tecma second hand, I'm "in conversation" with an eBay swindlery about the suitability of a new Tecma Inlander. Price is two thirds that of the Silence Plus and I'm currently trying to work out what the drawback is. I'm guessing probably less-easily interchangeable parts than a Jabsco?

Anyone got an Inlander? What are your thoughts about pros and cons?

Edited by BlueStringPudding

BSP........Went to the Bukh-bremen web site to look at the Tecma catalogue

http://www.bukh-bremen.de/files/346/upload/Kataloge/2014/Tecma%20technisches%20Handbuch%20engl.pdf

and was looking through the range and the spec. The model I have is no longer in the catalogue (although the "Elegance" ceramic part looks the same)

Looking through the parts drgs it seems that the breather pipe that can give problems on my model has disappeared and the rubber pipework seems to have been re-designed to avoid airlocks. That removes the only complaint I had with mine. Cheers JohnV

I've opted for the Jabsco in the end because the parts are each separate so will make any maintenance in the future easier. Full size ceramic bowl too.

Instructions are not the clearest with loads of warnings about seacocks but not enough diagrams. And they even state the wrong number of wires coming out of the control box! (The manual omits two of them). But after about three hours of trawling the Internet I found out what they're for. :rolleyes: And it's a bit annoying that there's no way of finding out till you get it to the boat and unpack the box that there are additional parts that need buying - certainly couldn't get that info from the Jabsco website. So I've ordered what's necessary but it does mean by time the parts arrive I'd have been without a loo for two months. :huh: Was hoping to have it all installed before Christmas. Oh well. It'll be snazzy when it's all done. :)

Vetus here , all good but if NSF fitted make sure you change the element annually or you could have serious issue like us when it breaks down and blocks the vent pipe

I am assuming others have this set up as well depending on the fit .. If you dont know you have one check ( we didnt or another Vetus user here on the mooring and have both suffered the same fate , the filter tends to be buried deep inside the boat and may not be very accessbile nor does Vetus mention the bloody thing in its manual other than in passing hence we didnt know we had it let alone that it had to be replaced regular . angry.png

Vetus here , all good but if NSF fitted make sure you change the element annually or you could have serious issue like us when it breaks down and blocks the vent pipe

I am assuming others have this set up as well depending on the fit .. If you dont know you have one check ( we didnt or another Vetus user here on the mooring and have both suffered the same fate , the filter tends to be buried deep inside the boat and may not be very accessbile nor does Vetus mention the bloody thing in its manual other than in passing hence we didnt know we had it let alone that it had to be replaced regular . angry.png

The Vetus loos looked quite snazzy but the ones I saw had very different sized pipework to my tank so there didn't seem much point getting reducers etc when other brands are nearer the right size.

I've never seen the niff filter for my tank (I'm assuming NSF stands for Niffy Sh*tty Filter) ;) I have reason to believe it's at the far end from the toilet.

Another top tip. Check the sitting height works for you and is not too high or low.

Excellent point :lol: I bought the full sized Jabsco rather than the compact for that reason. One likes to be able to conveniently position ones posterior :P:blush:

Did you say earlier yours is a Jabsco? Any little foibles I should be aware of? :D

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I am going to chip in here. I have tried 12v, and 240v "marine" toilets from Vetus. The 240v one worked well but it was the Continental shelf type pan and was not to my liking and the 12v one which worked well was prone to backflow despite many trials of different backflow valves. In fairness this might be my installation but I doubt it.

Last week I finally gave up with "marine" and fitted a domestic 240v Saniflow macerator £229.00 with a standard Bog In A Box close coupled set with standard flush £79.00. OK it uses a bit more water, but I don't see backflow anymore.

Water use can be limited of course if you apply the "if its yellow let it mellow" because the bowl will not fill up. It will always keep the bowls water level with the macerator self actuating as the level inside sets off the discharge. In a marine toilet it will fill up until you push the button. So with a bit of management water use could be limited.

I am going to chip in here. I have tried 12v, and 240v "marine" toilets from Vetus. The 240v one worked well but it was the Continental shelf type pan and was not to my liking and the 12v one which worked well was prone to backflow despite many trials of different backflow valves. In fairness this might be my installation but I doubt it.

Last week I finally gave up with "marine" and fitted a domestic 240v Saniflow macerator £229.00 with a standard Bog In A Box close coupled set with standard flush £79.00. OK it uses a bit more water, but I don't see backflow anymore.

Water use can be limited of course if you apply the "if its yellow let it mellow" because the bowl will not fill up. It will always keep the bowls water level with the macerator self actuating as the level inside sets off the discharge. In a marine toilet it will fill up until you push the button. So with a bit of management water use could be limited.

Jabsco fitted a couple of years ago.

Lately I've been having a backflow problem (the system that is).

Jabsco said to check the "Joker valve" ( re-newed anyway) and that the vent pipe is clear....which it was.

Found the cause in the end, to be, the vent pipe fitting that goes into the holding tank. Removed the pipe and wiggled a bent piece of

coat hanger through the fitting. Replaced pipe and flushed the loo.....no more backflow.

Jabsco have quite a few, very good, short videos of problem solving on their website.

Happy flushing.

Rob....

I had a vetus but it started to play up. Tried to buy a new pump but you have to buy the bowl as well £800ish.

Bought a Jabsco instead for half that and spare parts are sold seperately.....been going well for the last 4 years (that's the loo).

Rob....

I'm not sure what model of Vetus toilet you had, but the innards are all available separately, I think you were miss-informed.