Boats Broken into Grafton Regis Area

CDS

Featured Posts

The problem of property left in isolated places is one common to all sorts of sectors. It applies to boats, vehicles and property. CRT are a navigation authority not a security service. I didn't hold them responsible for the security of my boat any more than I hold the Highways Agency responsible for the security of my caravan or car if I have left them in an isolated location.

The problem is not one that there is any easy solution to. Yes you could introduce security staff but how do you decide to deploy them? And when you have deployed them how do they possibly cover all possible isolated sections? You do know how big the inland waterway Network is I take it?

The solution (such as there is) lies with boat owners in my opinion

A - thinking about where they moor

B - Thinking about how they secure their boat.

C - Thinking carefully about what they leave on the boat when they leave them unattended.

None of this will of course solve the problem but then neither will paying for security in one place when the thieves move onto a new area when they discover your security personnel have deployed in a particular spot.

Really sad for anyone who's been through this - but think the "unattended" thing speaks volumes. Friends who have lived aboard for nearly 10 years are one of these victims we're currently talking about - and left their boat for a week or so for the first time in many years.

It becomes SO obvious a boat is unattended when deserted on the towpath - I am honestly amazed we don't hear so much more of these awful break-ins. You can tell within just a couple of days there is no-one about and, even worse, they are left really close to road access.

A few years ago we travelled for a while with a lovely chap who would happily leave his £75 grand boat for a week or more on the towpath yet worry to bits about his £500 (fully insured) car at the roadside.

Hope they catch the scum.

• Greenie 1

That's good , But what are the Police doing about it ??

Chasing the thieves in their dreams:

http://www.policeptsd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/cop-sleeping.jpg

It was just a thought . What's your solution to this problem ?

Sell the boat before thieves get to it! wink.png

(A bit Major Herbert Gussett of Tunbridge Wells-ish but I do wonder if bringing the stocks back and having boat thieves locked in them and an assortment of rotten vegetables & dog poo bags available nearby for throwing at 'em would put the brakes on this problem.)

Edited by Emerald Fox

Sell the boat before thieves get to it! wink.png

Not really, just as I said be careful where you moor.

We were lucky perhaps but were never in a position where we had to leave our boat for long periods on the towpath unattended. If that ever looked like being a possibility we planned the journey so that it was in a marina or some such if we had to leave it. Obviously this would be prohibitively expansive if you were doing it all the time but on the occasions we had to it worked for us.

I have to say as my boat is my home I've always made sure it's tucked up in a marina when we have had to leave it when out cruising even if it's just a night or two....yes it costs a few quid but cheaper than a broken window or some such.....I also make the most of any provided facilities such as hook up, washing machines etc. It's just a cost of boating....like diesel. Having said that from the Wheaton Aston boat that looks like it was moored on the offside but the window broken on the cut side not the bank.....wonder if that was from a boat?....seems quite brazen.

What's more worrying is that some of these break ins now seem to be happening when boats are left for a few hours when the owner has gone shopping or to the pub....and even more worrying is that from what was taken it looks like other boaters....now that is depressing.

I once had to break into the boat next door at an IWA rally....boats moored 3 abreast and loads of people walking past on the towpath....the chap next door had snapped the lock shut then remembered his keys were inside....not one person questioned what we were doing......and we weren't quick as we were trying to cause the least damage.

Cheers

Gareth

Someone seems to have gone to an awful lot of trouble to get in then taken items to use on their own boat. Hopefully they now have all they need. Maybe they were looking for Christmas presents. Let's hope their boat doesn't suffer too many breakdowns now they've found a way to take what they want.

. It's a worrying trend because we all leave our boats to go do other stuff. Shopping visiting pub or friends or off for a day out somewhere local.

It doesn't take long for a thief to break into most boats.

We have just fitted an alarm to our boat with signs to say alarm fitted and flashing led lights when armed. It will also ring our phones if it is activated. OK so it might not put off the most determined thief , but it's better than nothing.

We have just fitted an alarm to our boat with signs to say alarm fitted and flashing led lights when armed. It will also ring our phones if it is activated. OK so it might not put off the most determined thief , but it's better than nothing.

I reckon, with respect to your previous good posts, that they'll just think that you've left the fairy lights on.

How about a device that makes your hull live at 1000V DC? Is that illegal? I'm working on a remote control that disables it as I approach. Even if I'm too pissed to press a button. Many cars seem to have such a facility, albeit for other purposes. Nicknorman, any ideas to make it drunk-proof?

If leaving your boat for only few hours at a time get one of these and put a sign up saying beware of dog ! No crim is crazy enough to risk getting caught in a confined space with a big dog .... And yes he is as soft as he looks but very very protective of needed

and no I dont know why he is sideways , no idea how to rotate it , I am a luddite I am afraid

post-25151-0-93591900-1449837627_thumb.jpeg

Edited by RufusR

I reckon, with respect to your previous good posts, that they'll just think that you've left the fairy lights on.

How about a device that makes your hull live at 1000V DC? Is that illegal? I'm working on a remote control that disables it as I approach. Even if I'm too pissed to press a button. Many cars seem to have such a facility, albeit for other purposes. Nicknorman, any ideas to make it drunk-proof?

I forgot to mention the string from the door handle to the trigger of a 12 bore Shotgun ...

I forgot to mention the string from the door handle to the trigger of a 12 bore Shotgun ...

Hey! You nicked that from me! (1.5 years ago I suggested similar - with fishing line I think).

Someone said "What about if it were children breaking into your boat?".

Pause for thought. Or laughter!

Thieving scum are at it everywhere. I had an email off a spate off break ins in primary schools down here in Somerset. Been at least 2 a night. Blow and behold the school where I work was broken into that night . The police don't know how they are doing it.

They know what room and where the safe is, they get into that room undetected by he alarms in our school the ripped the safe bolted to the floor and kicked the door off. The coppers told us the weakness off certain safes big or small.

The daft thing is the alarms havnt gone off in any school.

Edited by rustydiver

Thieving scum are at it everywhere. I had an email off a spate off break ins in primary schools down here in Somerset. Been at least 2 a night. Blow and behold the school where I work was broken into that night . The police don't know how they are doing it.

They know what room and where the safe is, they get into that room undetected by he alarms in our school the ripped the safe bolted to the floor and kicked the door off. The coppers told us the weakness off certain safes big or small.

The daft thing is the alarms havnt gone off in any school.

How worrying is that .. The Police don't know how they are doing it . I thought they were the experts . Obviously not !

Hey! You nicked that from me! (1.5 years ago I suggested similar - with fishing line I think).

Someone said "What about if it were children breaking into your boat?".

Pause for thought. Or laughter!

In that case I think the shotgun would need to be adjusted so the aim was a little lower in height...

• Greenie 2