Battery Capacity Meter

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

How can it be accurate to +- 0.05 percent when the display is in multiples of 10% of battery capacity!!!! Apart from that, it looks good but I think I'd want more resolution on the scale.

I don't know if the additional 'lights' on the left hand side of the unit give a tighter 'tolerance', or, what do they do ?

midnite-battery-meter-500x500.png

Manual here:

http://bhasolar.com/resources/MNBCM12.13a.pdf

I reckon it is a (costly) voltmeter, coupled with a timer which operates the bit which tells you when the battery was last fully charged.

Thanks - well found.

I reckon you are correct, but the question is - "is it good enough to do the job, or, will the smartgauge do a better job for twice the price"

It is pointless spending £50 if it doesn't work.

No. Not if it's nothing more than an over-priced low-resolution voltmeter which at least 2 of us believe it to be.

Tony

If so, this is possibly a bit of a faux pas by Bimble. They're usually the supplier most recommended here when it comes to things solar. Flogging a cheap tat gauge, particularly for this amount of money, could cause a bit of a dent in their reputation if that's what this thing turns out to be. Let's hope it's not.

Let's hope it's not.

It is.

Well I suppose it depends what you want. If you want a voltmeter that you can use to measure SoC whilst there is no charge or discharge on the batteries, it will be fine and you don't need to know any numbers. If you need something to tell you you haven't had them at 14.7v for 2 hours in the past 2 weeks, it will be fine.

If you want to know the SoC under real world conditions, get a Smartgauge.

From the warning lights showing that full charge has not been achieved in say the last week, I rather suspect this may only serve to inform that the past charging regime has been poor, probably so poor that damage has been done to battery capacity. So whilst I doubt this is of much use to members of this forum, there seem to be a surprising number of posts on here where people are becoming aware of under-charging issues for the first time and are requesting help, so this may be of use to some new boat owners. However, at this price a clamp meter and routine checks would be cheaper and better? I struggle to see that it will sell.

However, perhaps ist better than the information available suggests. I wonder if Bimble know better?

That looks to me nothing more than an expensive, low-resolution voltmeter with LEDs instead of a moving coil meter.

Well, looking at the PC board it seems to be a bit more that a glorified volt meter. See link.

U2 could be an LM3914 volt meter type chip though I suppose.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/batCapMeterMod.pdf

Edited by Flyboy

Isn't this just a question of semantics. I read it as displaying state of charge at whatever the current capacity is, like a simplified Smartgauge.

Interesting

Midnite Solar MNBCM Battery Capacity Meter

MidNite Solar's innovative battery capacity meter uses a set of easy-to-read LEDs to display present battery capacity. The MNBCM battery capacity meter also features an extended charge status display that let’s the user know how recently the battery was charged. This battery meter is designed for a nominal input range of 12V to 48V (autosensing), features reverse polarity protection, and an accuracy rating of +/- .05 percent.

Features & Attributes

• Easy-to-read LED display
  • Voltage auto sensing, compatible with a nominal input range of 12V to 48V.
  • Accuracy of +/- .05%.
  • Reverse polarity protection.

Even at a 10% step if it is +/- .05% at those points it is ahead of the SG

Need to investigate

If you want a voltmeter then there are much better options available for less money,

If you want a smartgage then, well, errrrr uuuum not many other options really.

Bet you several pints its nowhere near 0.05% accurate (but then I think you said in another thread that you don't drink, Oh well i,m going to win anyway!)

................Dave.